“Great hotel but restaurant service very poor”

Hilton Palm Springs
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
London
“Great hotel but restaurant service very poor”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We really enjoyed the hotel. The room was great and so was the general facilities (pool etc). However, we had breakfast at the restaurant and the service was very poor. The waiters behaved like we were an inconvenience and they were doing us a service. Characteristically, we said "Thank you" on the way out of the restaurant and the waiter didn't even respond!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonPS, Rooms Director at Hilton Palm Springs, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
I apologize that you encountered service issues in our restaurant. I have shared this information with our F&B team who will take immediate action. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the rset of your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Signal Hill, California
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We recently spent the Easter weekend at the HPS and had a great stay.We used live in PS do we know the area well which is why we choose this hotel... It's location can't be beat... It's in easy walking distance to Palm Canyon drive with all the shops and restaurants and also the convention center and casino...we arrived at the hotel and although other reviews stated that the hotel is dated it is very clean and the front desk staff attentive.. We were very fortunate enough to get the corner room that was one of the remodeled rooms... We couldn't have been more happier with the room as you will see from the attached photos..quality fabrics are used throughout and the bed was VERY comfortable and I slept very well...shades of gray and silver made for a very relaxing atmosphere.The bathroom was spacious with new Koehler fixtures and vanitie...we had a very large balcony with a partial mountain view...we thought the location if the room was perfect for us. We could walk out a side door and our car was right there in the self park area...my only suggestion would be two sets of towels for each guest... When I reached for a towel and realized it hadn't completely dried from my earlier use I wished I had a dry one on hand...After I was dressed I went I to the hallway and found the housekeeper and houseman.. He was moving a small refrigerator out of the room... I asked if it was possible to get an extra set if towels and I was surprised by the answer I received... It wasn't "certainly,no problem or " What room are you in and I'll drop a set off for you " it was ( the housekeeper) "I don't know ... I only have one." and then the houseman said " check out the one on the bottom of the cart and see if its clean." Hopefully the helpfulness of the housekeeping staff can be addressed before the remodel is complete to make this property really stand out... We didn't use the pool area or the restaurants but as we walked through the area where Easter brunch was being served and it all looked so delicious and smell great... So our over all experience here at the Hilton palm springs was positive and I would definitely recommend staying here the next time anyone decides to visit Palm Springs .

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for the feedback and the great pictures! I am happy to hear that you love the new design. The final product is going to be amazing! We hope to see you again soon.
Peyton, Colorado
Reviewed April 11, 2012

OK, I realize the recession hit California hard, and in particular Palm Springs, but Hilton really needs to update their Palm Springs Resort. What a disappointment. The lobby looks grand and staff seemed nice enough, however, that is just the front of house. My room was clean and that's about all I can say. There were stains in the ceiling of the bathroom, the tub & shower fixtures were pulled away from the wall and all of the furniture looked like it had just barely made it through the first Desert Storm.

I also tried to lounge one night. Forget it. The lounge should be totally redone and it should be redone right now. Unfortunately, for what they charge, there are better options. Oh, and don't forget the incredible amount of state and local taxes. My suggestion, find other options if possible.

Room Tip: See about upgrades to rooms with the pool view. It does help the ambiance.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff M
san diego
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We have stayed at this property for years and in the past it rated better than a "two" out of five stars. What has happened is the service in the restaurant and poolside bar are so bad it overshadows the good things this property has going for it. The landscaping is awesome, the location is great, and the pool is pretty nice--but the service stinks. It's so bad it's laughable (if it wasn't happening to you.) The bell staff, pool attendant, and a few others who work here give good service, but for whatever reason the restaurant staff stinks. We had possibly the worst dining experience we've had in years. Just beware and be ready to eat elsewhere if you stay here.

Room Tip: Do not eat at the restaurant unless you have hours to kill and the will to wait and wiat and wait fo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
HiltonPS, Rooms Director at Hilton Palm Springs, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. Actually, we do read all of these reviews. If you scroll down through the reviews you will see a management response under each of them. I apologize that your good experience at our property was marred by service you encountered in our bar and restaurant. If you have an opportunity, please contact me directly so I can explore this matter further. We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again.
Paris
Reviewed March 31, 2012

One more week at the palm springs hilton (22nd time...useless to say I'm a convinced customer) . As usual breakfast on the terrace at 7 am is my favorite at this hotel. Good service. Rooms are getting a bit tired and those big'ol tvs.... More and more loud people and beer in the pool. Palm Springs is going the Vegas way.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank TheWorldInMyHands
Thank you for the feedback. I am happy to hear you had another wonderful stay, we truly appreciate your loyalty to our property. I am also pleased to share with you news of our renovation, which will take place over the summer. You will love the changes we are making! We look forward to seeing you again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Got a "deal" on Priceline for a one night stay here.

Oh boy, this place is a bad time warp. Everything is tired and needs updating; the lobby, the bar, the hallways, and especially the rooms. Stained carpet, stained sofa, water damage on the ceiling above the bed, shutters that are sealed shut and don't slide. The TV is old school and the reception is snowy on most channels. The room is nice and large but the angled bed with the strange built-in is so random! The bed and the pillows were soft and comfy however, and that is the only reason I didn't give this place a one star review.

The bathroom was the only part that seemed to have been updated recently. The towels were soft and I enjoyed the luxury toiletries (shower cap, thank you!). However the housekeeping was less than stellar. The shower ceiling had mold and *shudder* hairs stuck to it. The breakfast room service tag that was resting on the bed had already been marked up by the previous guest.

The service was mediocre at best. The girl who checked us in in the evening was personable enough, however the one who checked us out barely spoke a word and didn't ask how our stay was. We passed three service/cleaning employees in the hallway during our stay and all of them avoided eye contact and didn't speak a word to us.

Overall the experience was quite poor. The fact that this hotel is rated at 3.5 stars is pretty laughable. I can definitely see why they need to sell of extra rooms on Priceline. With so many options around I would never stay here again while visiting Palm Springs.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rbernstein
HiltonPS, Rooms Director at Hilton Palm Springs, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
I am sorry to hear that your overall experience was less than expected. Please call me directly, I would love to further discuss this with you. In addition, we do have a fantastic renovation just about to start. You will love the changes we are making!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We booked one night stay at this Hilton in Palm Springs this past weekend....and I'm just glad it was one night. We were attending Indian Wells Tennis Semi Finals and Finals so we wanted to be close to the venue.
Thinking it was a Hilton I figured it would be nice. To my dismay it wasn't nice at all.
The front desk check in lady was like a robot.It was St.Patrick's Day and maybe she had seen enough people but if so then take a break. We joked about how unfriendly she was all the way to our room.
The place itself smelled like an old retirement home. I know it wasn't built today or yesterday but you would think they could to something about that smell?
The light switches were so low I thought the place was or had been occupied by leprechauns.Each and every switch was low low low to the floor.
maybe they have an updated wing? Not sure and not willing to find out. I'm not sure if this Hilton is corporate owned or private but either way they need to upgrade the rooms and give the staff a lesson in customer service.
The location is perfect for Palm Springs....but Hilton......don't take advantage of that.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mkxpress61
Thank you for the feedback. I apologize that you met with a challenge on arrival, I will discuss this in our next team meeting. I hope that you decide to vivit us again, we have an amazing renovation almost about to start. You will love the changes we are making.