“spa: upselling is annoying when you are trying to relax”

Hilton Palm Springs
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
San Diego, California
“spa: upselling is annoying when you are trying to relax”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

my friend and i booked a massage and facial through a travelzoo deal. we got there early to enjoy the steam room which was very nice. we got our massages first (which were fantastic) then our facials (not so much). i go to spas frequently so i know the procedures, but this was just insulting. my esthetician asked me what i use at home, and when i told her, she told my my products were crap. ugh ok, thanks.... and KEPT on telling me that though the 30 minute procedure. i understand they sell a certain brand and want to get a cut of the product sold, but being this pushy is just in bad taste. i myself am in the beauty industry and if i talked to my clients like this im sure i wouldn't have many happy returning clients. the lady at the front desk i think her name was Mimi was very nice and helpful! im unsure of the names of the people who gave me my treatments, but the masseuse was sweet and amazing, but the lady that gave my facial was a bit pushy and abrasive. all and all the spa day started sweet and ended sour.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lilsnipper102
HiltonPS, Rooms Director at Hilton Palm Springs, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for the feedback. I completely agree that you should be able to relax and be peaceful during a facial. I apologize that this was not the case. Our Elements Spa has amazing staff and I am surprised this occurred. I will personally follow up with our Spa Team. Thank you for your kind words about your massage therapist and about Mimi, they work hard to provide unparalleled service and will act swiftly to address your concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Camano Island, Washington
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We have stayed in many hotels over the years and found this one to not even come close to other brand name chains. We recently spent the weekend after Thanksgiving with family, staying in two rooms. We had booked rooms at pool side, adjoining. They said that would be no problem. But of course when we arrived they said they do not even have adjoining rooms on the first floor, and were going to put us in two separate wings. We would have been happy if we could have been close by, but they could not do that. So then they offered us rooms on the third floor that were adjoining. We decided to take them, but they refused to reduce the room fees to the stated rate. Instead they waived the parking fee and gave us breakfast vouchers.... both things that other hotel chains include for free. And we did not even want the hotel breakfast anyway, as we had other plans. Reluctantly we accepted as we were ready to spend time enjoying our vacation. BTW our room had not been cleaned yet, and they said they would call us when it was done. Well an hour goes by and we knew the staff was done cleaning since it was next door to our other room, and no calls. When we took a trip back down to the front desk it took the hotel manager 5 minutes to contact someone in housekeeping to make sure it was done before he gave me the key. Oh and I did not mention that our greeting in the front parking area by the valet was "Can you move your car as soon as possible, we have very little parking today" ??? I haven't even checked in yet and I am hearing this. The story continues... The following morning I am informed that our second rooms shower is ice cold. The hotel sends a repair person in to "fix" the problem. After an hour of back and forth trips for parts, tools, etc. the problem has not been fixed and we ended up sharing the bathroom in the other room. During our day out exploring Palm Springs we figure that the shower will be fixed. However when we returned to the room, it was the same as when we left. A stop at the front desk to inquire resulted in the staff telling us it was fixed at 8am this morning, which was totally untrue. And I haven't even really touched on the fact that these units are in disrepair, exhibiting wear and tear. The shower wall grout is cracked and falling out along the joints in the corners, with mildew growth. In one bathroom there is a funky drywall patch that has never been finished. The hole place is dated, and they do not even have mini fridges. Even much cheaper hotels will have those. And the breakfast is OK at best, but it is way over priced for what you get. Go over to Pinnochios for good food at a great value. We won't be coming back to this Hilton ever again. :(

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CamanoHal
It’s good to hear from you. I apologize that your request to have adjoining poolside rooms was not able to be fulfilled. While we guarantee the room type booked and did assign you the poolside rooms, we are unable to guarantee an exact location. That is why the location is a request only. Our team does try to fulfill all requests, however on holiday and high occupancy periods this can be challenging. Regarding your friends shower issue, there was a problem with the shower. Our engineering team believed they had solved the issue early that Saturday morning and ended up having to re-address it later that day. It is unusual for such a problem to occur and it was a pleasure to discuss the situation with your friends. I am happy that we were able to turn the situation around for them. I hope you reconsider and visit us again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Wonderful time at the Hilton! Excellent service (hostess at restaurant was fabulous - we became BFF's!) We parked the car and walked all around town. TV was tacky - spoiled by flat screens. But all else really great! Bar at poolside, tempature of pool perfect, cozy bathrobes for spa.

Room Tip: all good - only three stories and parking is close
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
I am happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience. Thank you for the review, we hope to see you again soon!
San Dimas, California
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The Hilton Palm Springs Resort is conveniently located 2 blocks from the main shopping and restaurant district on Highway 111, and accross the street from the Spa Casino. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The large room included a king bed and a couch. There is a large vanity outside the bathroom. The closet included two terrycloth robes. Overall the room was clean and the quality of the linens was above average. The bathroom is adequate but not up to modern standards. There were rusty water spots on the ceiling above the shower that marred an otherwise clean looking facility.

The hotel property has a beautiful pool/jacuzzi area in the center. There is a gym and spa available. The lobby/reception area is very nice with marble floors and high ceilings. There is a restaurant and bar at the hotel.

The main complaint, and the reason I will not stay there again until it is fixed, is the old tube television could not get a clear signal. It was like watching TV with a bad antenna. The online checkout did not work through the TV.

The higher room rates are not justified in a hotel that does not keep up with the times. Also missing are an in-room safe and mini-fridge. Although I am glad they did not have a mini-bar where mysterious charges show up.

Room Tip: If you choose to self-park rahter than valet, ask for a room close to one of the building corners cl...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RexRain
HiltonPS, Rooms Director at Hilton Palm Springs, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you for your detailed feedback! We do have an amazing renovation coming up next year where everything will be upgraded. In the meantime, we do have refrigerators available on request and safety deposit boxes available at the front desk. Also, we do have flat screen televisions in some of our premium rooms. Details on the renovation will be posted as we get them on our facebook page. Please contact me directly if you have any further questions. We hope to see you again soon!
los angeles
Reviewed November 26, 2011

The hotel was tired, dirty hallways and the rooms were dusty. The staff was not accomodating at all. The food at the buffet was unripe fruit and watery coffee. No service at the pool and kind of very unfamily friendly

The worst thing was we forgot a jacket in the room on the chair with a book, and called back for it in an hour later to pick it up and the jacket was nowehre to be found. It was careless of us but very surprising that the hotel in under two seconds said it wasn't there and that was it.

Next thanksgiving we will go elsewhere

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank la3
Thank you for posting your feedback as all comments are welcome. I am surprised that you did not encounter any service by the pool. We had a team out there everyday and have received many nice reviews on TripAdvisor about them, especially Hattie. I do know they were very busy over the holiday and I will review your comments with our Food and Beverage team. Regarding your coat and book, I know that you have had several conversations with our team members and management. One of our managers personally searched for your items and spoke to our housekeeping team. The supervisor who cleaned your room verified that you did not leave behind a book and a coat. I assure you, had you left your coat and book in the room, we would have found it. Hopefully, you will find them safely packed in your car or luggage.
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Great stay. Worth paying a little bit more for. Close to restaurants and shops, walking distance. Nice pool, great for children, is a L shape with 2 shallow ends. Only down point is the $10 dollar parking fee but as the staff kindly pointed out to us there is plenty of free parking on the roads round the hotel. Will go back and stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for the great review! We hope to see you again soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel four times in the last six years. I attend a business conference held at the hotel. It is very good hotel with spacious rooms and baths, a good restaurant with an open air terrace and cozy bar. It is located minutes from the Palm Springs airport and within walking distance of downtown Palm Springs, the Palm Canyon drive area. Staff has always been attentive and efficient. I am not a swimmer, so I can't offer an opinion on the pool, It looked fine to me. If the lack of a 52 inch plasma TV on the wall of your room is a deal breaker for you, don't go.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business