“Thank you Canyon Club Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Canyon Club Hotel

Canyon Club Hotel
Los Angeles, California
“Thank you Canyon Club Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

Thank you Canyon Club Hotel for making this Thanksgiving Holiday
an absolute dream. Upon arrival Wednesday night, I was greeted by the owner as he decorated a gorgeous Christmas tree. The lobby smelled of Cinnamon and spices. I was then escorted to my room which was impeccably prepped. I have to say that I haven't slept so well in ages: such a comfortable bed and absolute silence makes for the perfect refuge. It's sunny today and the pool and secret garden lounging is ideal. I've already book a suite for New Years Eve. Thanks again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank KenyonMarketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Burbank, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

I had to cancel my reservation last summer and it took almost eight months to get my deposit back. They kept saying they couldn't find my reservation. I finally had to get help from the credit card company in order to retrieve my original deposit. Either the hotel's financial records are in complete disarray, the staff is completely incompetent or they will do anything to not return your money. So be careful...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank ILPS

Travelers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

Carmichael, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

This review is primarily based on a DAY USE ONLY stay, therfore more geared toward the facilities only. I did get a great look though at the actual room accomodations and they seemed to be quite clean, comfortable, and a great value for the prices quoted online. We were attending a private event this past weekend and this was my very first trip to the area. The grounds were very nicely manicured attention to comforts is clearly evident. The level of cleanliness did leave a bit to be desired. Dirty pool furniture with stained cushions on the lounge chairs. I did not see any type of pool area attendent and so no one enforced the "shower off before entering the pool" rules; as a result the pool water really was quite disgusting. The garden/maze area was very nice although in the later evening way too dark. I would put up some string lights along the maze perimeter just to alluminate the area slightly and prevent anyone for falling. Overall this seemed like an ok place and would consider coming back and staying overnight.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank perpendxular78
phoenix az
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

I have stayed at numerous gay resorts in PS over the years. Discovered Canyon Club about 3 years ago. It has come a long way since. Rooms are beautiful, clean, comfortable big beds. Staff is excellent and very friendly. John and Chris never fail to make me laugh. It has perfect mix of guests too. I love it here- never want to leave!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

I just spent 5 nights at the Canyon Club and I thought it was great!

You should know that I travel to Palm Springs for only one reason -- let's just call it making new and exciting friends! I was part of a large group that had pretty much filled the place for the weekend — so there were a lot of great guys to meet. Plus the hotel offers day and night passes, so you get even more opportunities.

The management was very friendly and accommodating all the way from reservation through check-out. I reserved one of the studio rooms (#221) which has a large window, but no view -- it actually looks out onto the back side of the building's facade. For me, that was truly a marvelous advantage, since I like a very dark room when I'm ready to go to sleep — and the lower rate was very nice too. Of course, the hotel also offers a variety of rooms and suites with spectacular mountain and pool views. The hotel has several rooms similar to #221 — and my suggestion would be to try to get one of the others, for only one reason: immediately below #221 is a very popular, well-equipped playroom complete with video channels. Unfortunately, some inconsiderate guests decided to go into the playroom in the middle of the night, crank up the volume on the TV, then leave. 3 of my 5 nights I had to get out of bed, go downstairs and turn down the TV. I in no way blame the hotel management for this -- it goes with the clientele, myself included -- and I LOVED the playroom. But I did suggest putting a note on the TV a la "guests are trying to sleep so keep the volume down" -- and the management was very receptive.

My room itself had everything a man needed for a long weekend escape, including a big, fluffy white duvet and lots of king-size pillows -- a little touch of luxury. Yes, a few things could be spruced up a bit -- the carpets could use a cleaning and my doorknob was rather fussy about how it liked to have its key turned -- but that's to be expected in an older property and a tough economy. Nevertheless, they were just finishing up the tiling in their new steam room -- so they're taking well-deserved pride in what they're doing.

The grounds are well-landscaped and beautifully lighted -- very large hot tub and huge pool (a wee bit chilly for me, but it was fine once you got in) -- but the most wonderful part of their grounds is an area called "the park" -- quiet serenity, complete with a koi pond, hedge-maze, large grassy areas and spectacular mountain views. Great place for a glass of wine watching the sunset over the mountains!

I do wish the rooms had safes, but if they asked me how they should invest their money, it probably wouldn't be my top priority.

Very much looking forward to my next visit in May!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GayNaturistTraveler
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Don’t let those rosy pictures fool you, I stayed there with friends last weekend. The water in the pool was FILTHY ; disgusting, not sanitary at all. One of my friends asked at the front desk for a towel and the owner himself refused to give him a clean towel, accusing of him instead of stealing. There are many options in Palm Springs, save yourself the aggravation and do NOT come to this place. It is a dump!
Also, the hotel was almost empty, no people there to meet… I wonder why…

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank travellingman3000
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

After staying in several places in the Warm Sands area over the years, we decided to scale down and try Canyon Club. While it may not be as nice as some of the other places, it was comfortable and fun.

We got a great rate on a California King room. It was on the upper level and had great views of the mountains and the pool. The room was fairly clean – I would give it a higher rating but the comforter had some stains on it. But, the bed was very comfortable and the sheets were of good quality. We slept well. The furnishings were OK – Nothing fancy. The refrigerator in the room was a nice touch. Electrical outlets in the room were limited, so charging cell phones, ipods and laptops took some juggling. The bathroom is acceptable at best – Taller folks will hate the shower. The shower head was at chin level (it’s a pet peeve of mine!).

The resort itself has a lot of going for it – The pool is awesome and looks like it has newer lounge furniture. You have nice mountain views while lounging. It’s saltwater so no nasty chlorine smell. The misting system is awesome! The hot-tub is quite large and always the perfect temperature. We really liked the sideyard/maze area. It’s a nice place to relax and get away from the pool. We did not use the playroom – But I’m sure it’s perfect for some folks. There is no gym, however.

We loved the location – Easily walkable to downtown. In all the years that we have been coming to Palm Springs, this was the first time where we both could have drinks and not worry about taking a cab to get back to the resort. Plus, there is a good restaurant next door called John’s – Perfect for when you want a bigger breakfast than the free continental breakfast at the hotel.

With all that being said, the resort still needs some work. There is some definite deferred maintenance that needs to be addressed. Don’t get me wrong, it is not a dump. But, it needs some TLC in areas. We did see some signs of improvement. Richard the front desk clerk (who is really nice and helpful, by the way) showed us some rooms that they remodeled that look very nice. I hope the remodeling happens in all the rooms. If it does, this place will be awesome and give the other resorts some serious competition.

All in all – It’s a decent place to stay for the money. Just don’t have any expectations that you are staying in 5-star place. It’s more of a 2-star on the way to a 3-star. We had a great time and met some new people. It’s not for everyone, but it was fine for us. We will probably stay again because of the location and the improvements they are making.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Cathedral City
Santiago Resort
Santiago Resort
#3 of 43 in Palm Springs

Been to Canyon Club Hotel? Share your experiences!