“Best small hotel we've experienced in Palm Springs”

Desert Riviera Hotel
Ranked #1 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Los Angeles, California
“Best small hotel we've experienced in Palm Springs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

My husband and I visit Palm Springs a few times a year and have stayed at a variety of hotels throughout the Coachella valley. First we tried the ultra-luxury resorts, next up were the mega-hotels and then lastly we decided the 5 to 10 room courtyard style hotels were for us. So far we've stayed at Ballantine's (no no no), Del Marcos (nice but plumbing is a bit outdated and beds aren't comfortable) and now Desert Riviera.

If I were to buy a mid-century hotel property in the desert and rehab it this would be my model. They have tastefully preserved the character and flavor of this hotel while updating the plumbing, kitchenettes and pool area. The owners are incredibly friendly and go out of their way to make their guests feel comfortable which in turn seems to make the guests more friendly to each other, a nice byproduct of the upbeat atmosphere. They do a lot of little things at this hotel to make you feel special from free snacks in your room to a couple of bicycles available to guests.

I would highly recommend staying here.

2 Thank Goober818

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

July 27 I arrived at the Desert Riviera Hotel after a long drive from the SF Bay Area. I had chosen the boutique hotel based on reviews from Trip Adviser and the Desert Riviera lived up to every word! Upon my arrival I was greeted by the owner Larry, who quickly checked me in showed me to my room which was stocked with cold water, soft drinks and a lovely basket of treats. The room was extremely clean, very contemporary with plenty of space. My boyfriend who met me while on leave from the Military couldn't get over how nice the pool area was how everything was set up just right and made it our own private resort. The hotel offers many complimentary services and Larry is there early in the morning and well into the evening to assist you with anything needed. Our stay was stress free, comfortable and relaxing. If you are seeking very personal atmosphere, top notch service and a beautiful view this is the place to be.

1 Thank Queenfeb14
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

We were checking out classic mid-century motels of the 1950s when we found the Desert Riviera Hotel. I always dread reading reviews on Tripadvisor because usually they're horrible. However, I was delighted to read such great reviews and WOW, were they correct! From the first phone call I made to Judy in the office, I felt we'd made the right choice. We went for my birthday weekend and booked several rooms for friends and family. Larry, the owner, was so gracious and helpful with every detail, including helping us set up for our poolside dinner party, to washing our dishes the following morning! The next evening we went to a restaurant that was walking distance to the hotel - but Larry understood how my guests wanted to ride in the limo. So...he offered to drive around the neighborhood so we could enjoy the limo ride - and my happy guests never even noticed the proximity! What a great place to spend either a quiet weekend or a celebratory weekend.

• Liked — The Rooms, the hospitality, the snacks and unlimited fruit.
  • Disliked — We had to keep our voice volume down in the evenings.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Prancer12
Lawrence, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

My wife and I were visiting friends in Redlands, CA and needed someplace to stay for one night before we left for home. We chose to drive to Palm Springs since neither of us had been there before and we chose the Desert Riviera Hotel because of these reviews.
It was as good as advertised. Great rooms, wonderful pool (with the best floating rafts ever!), extremely nice people, and everything else people rave about on here. We will definitely stay there again on our next trip and it will for sure be for longer than 1 night!

1 Thank Jayhawk_in_Lawrence
orange county, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

We just returned from a 4 day/3 night stay at the Desert Riviera Hotel in Palm Springs, and I must say, we were sorry to leave! What a little gem this hotel is! This 10-room, immaculately kept boutique hotel is your one stop for a most relaxing trip.
From our adorable, kitchen-equipped room
to the complimentary cruiser bikes to the pristine pool and the poolside barbeque, the Desert Riviera truly feels like a home away from home. We had an amazing time swimming and soaking up those (hot!) Palm Springs rays during the day, riding around on a tandem bike in the evenings, and preparing our own dinner under the stars at night. Before bed, we were free to help ourselves to the hotel's movie and board game library. Larry was an incredibly warm and accomidating host, even offering us a free car wash upon our checkout! Now thats what we call customer service!
Needless to say, we will definitely be reprising our stay at the Desert Riviera!
-Elaina & Kevin
July 2007

Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

We stayed at the Desert Riviera Hotel in April. The hotel is newly remodeled. The rooms had a very nice kitchen, comfortable bed, and bright clean bathroom. The decor is contemporary. The staff was very friendly, helping us select a room, setting up dinner reservations when we arrived. They even have a limo to take you around town if you like doing that sort of thing. Altogether, a very nice stay.

• Liked — Nicely furnished rooms. Very clean and modern
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

For the first time ever I dreaded going home from vacation. I love vacationing, but enough is enough at a certain point. Two days before I had to leave the Desert Riveria I was very sad. I have been many places and I have never received treatment like I have received from Larry, Patty & Judy. They really have the making of great hotel owners (They should teach seminars). It was my girlfriend's birthday and she loved it. She is a very outgoing person and during this vacation all she wanted to do is stay in the hotel and relax. This place has everything you will ever want from a hotel. Come on now, how many hotel have a BBQ grill for their patrons? How many hotels have free bikes for you to take on a mini tour of the city? How many hotels give you a complimentary limo ride to an eating place of your choice? We also found that the hotel modest on it's website as far as amenitiesgo. They didn't mention the incredible star shaped showerhead each room has. This place really made us feel at home. I would strongly suggest anyone reading this review select Desert Riveria as there next hotel when in Palm Springs.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — not one single thing