“Midnight at the oasis..........................”

Desert Riviera Hotel
Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
vancouver
“Midnight at the oasis..........................”
Reviewed March 21, 2008

Alright then, there seems to be an awful lot of laudatory blah, blah being written about this hotel and.....it's all absolutely true!! This place has the sizzle AND the steak!!

I found this hotel on the TripAdvisor site and felt confident that I found a good spot having had great luck with TripAdvisor planning vacations in the past. I booked directly with an obliging and welcoming gal (who I now know was Judy, my new BFin the desert ) and she made every effort to accomodate me and to make sure I'd be happy with my room.

After an 'over-stimulating' 4 day Las Vegas convention, I made my way to the Desert Riviera in Palm Springs looking forward to a relaxing home base while I checked out the real estate in the valley . I easily found my way to the lodging, barely visible from the street behind lush vegetation and leafy palms.

Stepping through the gate, i was warmly welcomed by Bob who checked me in, gave me a brief overview of the place and showed me my room......an immaculate 'mid-century hideaway' steps to the sparkling pool! Yeees! The next thing I know, I have a glasss of red wine in my hand and I'm cosied up by the fire.....

I will let the other reviewers tell you about the virtues of the physical hotel (all great) but the real magic here is how the hosts manage to be friendly, so helpful, and genuinely interested in their guests without ever being in your face or intrusive. Nothing was too much trouble and I really felt as though i were staying with good friends....except my good friends don't treat me this well!! lol

Suffice it to say, I was so impressed with my experience here that before leaving, booked a week for my folks to celebrate their 56th wedding anniverary. Upon hearing that was the occassion, Judy lit up with enthusiasm....you would have thought they were her parents! Wow!

The DRH is not about glitz and glam for sure, but is a beautiful, relaxed and friendly spot where the hosts work hard at making their good care look absolutely effortless. In a short time, they have certainly raised the bar for a standard of hospitality unsurpassed in my not-so-limited experience. Way to go gang!

Oh...and as for the 'midnight at the oasis' thing......imagine floating gently in the pool late at night (it's always open!) under starry skiies and waving palms and thinking....man!...am I brilliant for booking such a wonderful spot!

While my hope is to find my own little piece of heaven in the desert, I am confident that I can (and will) drop in to visit the 'angels' at the DRH and know I'll be warmly welcomed.

I completely endorse this fine and friendly inn and the super folk you'll find there running it. Enjoy!!

BTW, Judy likes an occasional glass of bubbly...ting!

Doug McDonald
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I

• Liked — The location, small scale and personal attention
  • Disliked — That I couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Do you like a smaller, very friendly, renovated, comfortable place in the middle of destination with helpful owners who " get it" this is a good choice. We again followed the trip advisor suggestions and were not dissapointed at all.
We stole away from Scottsdale for a quick 2 nights get away in Palm Springs. We look for quiet, clean,friendly places and the desert riviera is such a place. From the owners, Larry and Patti and the very helpful Judy ( Larry,s sister) eye on providing from registration to departure a welcoming attitude and clean, safe place to stay. After a 4 hr drive , Larry met us at the gat to the oasis called the Riviera and made us feel at home. We were introduced to all the othe guests and we sarted up the conversation and greeting . All the guest welcomed us with smiles and warm greeting . It was as if the other guests were being paid to help with the public relations--- they were not but you feel happy to share your happiness with others. If you want a large resort with multiple pools, activities and rude staff------- this is not your place.
Ten clean renovated rooms, spa, lovely pool, firepit, grill ( if you want to cook and not take advantage of great eating spots, books, newspapers,great landscaping and comfortable folks greet you. Lots of returning guests. You could stay private or meet folks from all over the world over a wine or beer at the firepit theis place will show you how a relaxing place should be. Even though is area is very like Scottsdale, Kathleen and I will return for the atmosphere and relaxation again soon---- I hope.

• Liked — felt like family, helpful owners, limo to dinner( complimentary)
  • Disliked — nothing
Kent
Reviewed March 13, 2008

to Palm Springs from Kent - but wow, is it worth it!

We have just returned from a fabulous, relaxing week at the Desert Riviera and are already planning a return trip. The weariness of our 11 hour flight to LA and 120 mile drive to Palm Springs was washed away within a few hours of our arrival by the wonderful team of Judy, Larry, Pattie & Bob. If you're looking for a perfect, chill out trip then look no further.

We had read the wonderful reviews before we travelled and normally think if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is, but not this time. This place deserves all of the compliments it receives and more. We loved everything: the pool, our room, the location, quality of furnishings, cleanliness, the BBQ, free use of the phone (even to the UK!), the attention to detail, .......Yes, everthing.

The whole staff team make everyone feel so at home and their friendliness is infectious. The evenings around the fire pit are a real highlight.

It's a great place......Just go there!

• Liked — All of it!
  • Disliked — What's not to like!
Victoria B.C.
Reviewed March 9, 2008

This place offers everything.

We were there twice during our last holiday....only problem ...they were booked so that we could only arrange a short stay each time.

Does not show well from the road...don't drive by..it is perfect inside

Victoria
Reviewed March 4, 2008

We stayed at the DRH for 8 nights in February and had a great time. Even before we arrived we were treated to outstanding service by Larry and Judy, with Judy booking us in for golf on the first day and also looking after reservations for Valentine's Day dinner, including a ride to and from in the limo!

We were thoroughly impressed with the service provided by Larry, Judy, Bob, Patty and Richard during our stay. The rooms and pool area were kept immaculately clean with the pool temperature in the mid to upper 80's. The rooms were large, the beds comfortable, the bathrooms clean and the kitchenette well stocked with equipment to allow you to make a quick breakfast or lunch if you didn't feel like going out.

We golfed 5 days in Palm Springs and Judy looked after our tee times, directions and travel times, always with a smile. We also took a day trip to the Joshua Tree Forest and hiked to a palm oasis which was fun, being from Canada.

The best part of the trip was the people we met. In addition to the staff we also made friends with a number of other guests. We had many good laughs and discussions around the fire pit that were a highlight of the vacation. We have never had an experience like this on any other holiday and that is a credit to the atmosphere that the DRH creates. From the minute you walk in the door they make you feel like a friend rather than a guest. Its a hard thing to pull off but they do it with ease at DRH. This is a special place.

We are definitely planning to go back and are trying to arrange to meet up with some of our new friends again.

• Liked — Service, Pool, Rooms, Fire Pit
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Auburn California
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Our recent stay at the Desert Rivera Hotel was just perfect! The staff overwhelms you with service. They even booked our golf tee times and printed our return boarding passes. They truly aim to please. My wife asked if they had a USA Today, they went and bought her a copy. It is a retro 50's hotel, cute as it can be. Limo service, bicycle built for two available, great pool, hot tub, bar-be-cue,etc. Only 10 rooms with small kitchens, and great service. Fun, fun, fun. I can easily see why they are number one in Palm Springs. A great relaxing stay.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frankstrong
Calgary
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We stayed at the Riviera for only 3 nights but will definately be going back next time we are in Palm Springs. The rooms were large, extremely clean and perfectly decorated to make you feel like you were staying in Palm Springs. Larry, Judy and the whole group could not have treated us better or made us feel more at home. Evening time around the fire pit was a perfect place to meet your hotel neighbours (only if you wanted to) and have a few drinks. The night we barbacued there was one of the best of our stay and we never left the hotel. 6 of us comfotably ate dinner in our room that night. As with most things it is the small touches that make a difference. We went for dinner at a great restauarant recommended by Larry only a block away from the Riviera, he insisted on driving us in the Limo both ways which made for a special evening. Go there!

Nanci & Dave Komonoski, Calgary, Alberta