“May Have Found Our New Regular Palm Springs Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Desert Riviera Hotel

Desert Riviera Hotel
Ranked #1 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
San Diego
“May Have Found Our New Regular Palm Springs Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was my first visit to Desert Riviera, although two of my family had been there about five years ago shortly after they first opened.

As you read the reviews, you'll find a LOT of praises and positives written here. I'm here to tell you, they aren't kidding.

We've stayed in several of the smaller hotels in Palm Springs in recent years, and we have our opinions of them and the service they offer. Some good, some average, some below average.

As I walked through the gateway of Desert Riviera and looked to my right toward the pool and yards, a smile immediately came to my face. I could see that it was well kept, beautiful and looked *very* inviting and relaxing!

Judy was at the desk to greet us and immediately offered us a cold beer and glass of wine. Her friendliness was extraordinary and we already felt right at home. She told us quite a bit about the things they offer (complimentary water, soda and snacks in the rooms), bicycles to ride and explore the area, free local, long distance and international calling (wow!), newspapers and snacks in the morning, sunblock, towels and coozies out at the pool, a little about how to get to various places in town (we already knew this but it was great to get a refresher).....and I lost track after that. The list just kept going.) We are used to some of that at the other small places in town but this list of ammenities was especially long.

During our stay, we also met Steve, Jay and Judy's daughter (sorry, missed her name). All were also super friendly and helpful. Jay told me about Hotel California while I was checking us out. I know that Patty and Larry own both and they are ranked #1 and #2 in town but I've never stayed there. Jay suggested that if we had time, we should go by it on our way out and look around. Wish we had time! Maybe next year we'll stay there. I'm sure it's just as nice. These owners and operators are doing things right.

We had room 10 and as others have said, it was spotlessly clean and comfortably equipped and decorated. It was plenty roomy for the four of us family members. Beds and pillows were great (you probably know that quality can be poor if the hotel owners don't make an effort to get good quality sleeping on their priority list).

The pool area is large, clean and comfy. I think that almost everyone with a room this weekend was out there, and we still weren't on top of each other. Very nice!

I only have a few little nits that I hope Larry, Patty and Judy will take as constructive criticism and put on their to do list for the future.

Road noise from Palm Canyon Dr is definitely "there" in room 10, and if we hadn't been so relaxed, it might have bothered us in the morning while trying to sleep in. We live in a very quiet neighborhood so we're not used to road noise. I can't be sure, but I thought this noise was coming through the closed windows. Perhaps new double pane windows on that side of the building would help.

The small refrigerator wasn't able to keep the drinks or veggies very cold even though we were careful to get in and out of it quickly. This is a trait of that size frig. Perhaps a larger one would help. That would also be helpful when four are staying in room 10 as was the case during our visit. Fortunately, we had brought two small Igloo Playmate coolers and those did the trick for us.

Lighting above the bathroom sink is poor. Shaving was an experience and the girls complained too.

Wi-fi speed is slower than cell phone networks these days. 1.5 Mb downstream and 0.35 Mb upstream according to speedtest.net. If you're a Facebook fan as we are, don't plan on uploading any pictures of Desert Riviera or your stay via wi-fi while there. That requires too much bandwidth for their existing network. I'm guessing it's entry level DSL. Might be time to call Time Warner Cable and get the network to modern speeds. At least the wi-fi coverage is good everywhere on the grounds. Some hotels have weak or non-existent coverage in some areas and rooms.

That's the end of my nits, and all are pretty minor in my book. Definitely not enough to deter us from returning next year. In fact, I'm already looking forward to that next visit!

A couple more positives:

There were two floor fans in our room but the A/C was fantastic and we could easily freeze ourselves in the room. Despite it being in the low 100's and a bit humid outside, the A/C easily kept up. We didn't need the fans.

The pool water is skin friendly. It almost seemed to be salt water (which is VERY skin friendly) but I see no mention of it on the web page. Regardless, we weren't all dried out as we sometimes are in other pools.

There was a blanket in the room that was one of the softest we've ever felt. Where did you find that, Judy?

The candles lit and placed on the tables in the pool area each evening are a great touch!

Parking was plentiful and not crowded.

LOTS of fresh pool towels were always on the table nearby.

I don't think I ever saw Judy walking the grounds without a big smile on her face. She must truly love being there and making everyone's stay enjoyable!

If you don't leave Desert Riviera at the end of your stay totally relaxed and rejuvinated, something is wrong with you! :) Our stay was short but fantastic. We enjoyed ourselves.

See you guys next year!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sixeye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Midland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We had business in LA and stayed at Desert Riviera Hotel the night before braving LA and the night after. We could not have picked a better place. Larry and Patty gave us the warmest welcome we have ever had at a hotel. We were offered snacks, cold water, a soft drink, beer or wine while checking in. Larry personally showed us to our room. They advised on where to eat as well as local activities. Setting by the pool was relaxing. In the evening, we had wine in the courtyard by the pool in peace and quiet without kids running, shouting, and splashing us. In the morning, we could sit outside and watch humming birds while drinking our coffee. All in all, Desert Riviera is an ideal place to relax and recharge.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Vance2644
Montebello, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was our first time out to Desert Riviera for a just girls weekend and it was amazing! Patty and Larry are wonderful hosts/owners who are very friendly and attentive to their guests. From the beautiful rooms, to the gorgeous pool and ambiance, the attention to detail is impressive and far exceeded our expectations. This getaway was absolutely perfect and we will definitely be back for more rest and relaxation!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Martha R
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I try to go to Palm Springs at least once a year. It took us a while to find a place that we were happy with and would want to go back to. This place is just that for us! Patty, the owner, is always soo welcoming and goes above and beyond to make us feel comfortable! The little extra things that she does, such as, provide beverages, provide a free welcome basket with goodies, makes reservations wherever we need them and just being friendly and sweet, makes our stay perfect! The bedrooms have tons of character and are comfortable! The pool area has a great atmosphere for lounging with oldies playing all day and simple but beautiful landscaping. I recommend this hotel to everyone I talk to!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lierins
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Desert Riviera over Labor Day Weekend to celebrate our anniversary. We selected this hotel based on all the wonderful reviews written on Trip Advisor. We had a wonderful time at the Desert Riviera. We were greeted with open arms by Larry, Patty, and Judy. The rooms were huge, clean, and meticulously maintained. This hotel came with so many wonderful little complimentary perks such as an in room snack basket and mini fridge stocked with complimentary water, beer, wine, and soda, a DVD library, beach cruiser rentals, sunscreen at the pool, coffee served all day, and wi-fi throughout the property. We were even greeted with a bottle of champagne on ice for our anniversary celebration.
The hotel's pool is absolutely gorgeous and surrounded by exotic botanicals. It is quite large for a small sized hotel. The owners provide guests with rafts for lounging in the pool all day, koozie's for your drinks, bottled water, a pool side BBQ grill, magazines, and pleasant/quiet overhead music. After dark the pool is lit and surrounded by votive candles - and best of all the pool doesn't close, making a late night swim a wonderful way to end the day.
We can't say enough about this wonderful property and its kind/accommodating owners. Thank you for a great stay and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole F
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Very clean rooms, excellent service, very thoughtful owners who make you feel welcome. A lot of additional services as well that are complimentary like long distance calls, internet, welcome basket and even sun lotion at the pool. All in all a very very pleasant stay and we would have stayed longer! Definitely recommended!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Chenling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Amazing! We came here midweek, and virtually had the hotel to ourselves by nighttime! The room was impeccably clean, very retro w/o forcing it, and even everything was complimentary! KC was very personable, sweet and funny. He even provided us complimentary champagne to celebrate my bf's bday. The complimentary cruiser bikes were awesome! The garden is wonderful, even better at night. And my fav part? The pool is limitless, so we floated under the stars and palm trees all midnight long. How romantic!

• Stayed August 2012