“Charming! A Wonderful Experience!”

Desert Riviera Hotel
Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed October 23, 2007

A friend recommended the Desert Riviera to us for my birthday weekend, knowing that we prefer more 'unique' places than the standard corporate hotels or sometimes stuffy B&B's. Judy and Larry (and Bob) were exquisite hosts and treated everyone like family. It was like receiving personal, five-star service but without any attitude and with sincere warmth. The rooms are brand new, spotless and very charmingly appointed (not to mention the yummy snack basket waiting for you!) Pool/jacuzzi area gorgeous & well kept/clean, great landscaping, beautiful view of the mountains and all of the guests we encountered were respectful and friendly. Judy made dinner reservations for us both evenings and we took the limo downtown both nights as well! Nice atrium area stocked with fruit and goodies for all to enjoy. Definitely for those who perfer a more casual atmosphere but yet appreciate boutique amenities & personalized service. We have already booked our next stay, we were so relaxed, happy and beyond satisfied with our experience!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Desert Riviera Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2007

This was one of the many places we stayed on our "road trip in california". It is everything that other reviewers have said and apart from the excellent accommodation the people themselves want you to enjoy there place and will help in anything you want. All concerned in the enterprise deserve congratulations in providing a first class service . We would certainly stay for longer if we return to the area.

DJ. England

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank DSJEngland
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Very clean rooms. Loved the included snacks, soda and water. Free DVD library and the big LCD TV is great. Bed was very comfortable. Sheets and amenities were awesome. The pool area is very relaxing, the pool is nice and warm for a swim. The place really is immaculate. We took advantage of the free bike rental which was neat to ride around town.

Yes Larry and Judy are so gracious and generous - anything you want they'll get for you. Its like a 5 star resort treatment in a small botique motel setting. I would love to go back.

Reviewed October 16, 2007

My beau and I escaped LA for a romantic weekend at the Desert Riviera earlier this month. He was drawn to the hotel's retro '50s decor; I was impressed by their No. 1 rating on this site. You can believe the positive reviews; this is a very special property.

Judy and Larry were welcoming and helpful hosts, whether it related to tracking down dining info on the computer or a chilled 7Up for my delicate stomach. We were speechless to learn that rides to and from town in their gorgeous white stretch limo were included in the room price. (Richard, the chauffeur, is really nice. Please consider tipping him accordingly.)

Our spacious room was immaculate and stylish, equipped with an extremely comfy bed, flat-screen TV, DVD player, kitchen (stocked with cold drinks) and basket of delectable goodies. The office offers a good-sized library of DVDs for your pleasure.

The outdoor gardens are beautifully landscaped, and the large pool and jacuzzi are clean and inviting. I enjoyed floating on the rubber chaise rafts and cooling off on a lounge under the "misters."

If you're not a big eater, you might be satisfied with the hot beverages, fresh fruit and pastries offered in the hotel lobby each morning. We prefer a heartier a.m. meal, so Judy recommended Spencer's. We liked the food and ambiance on the outside patio so much that we went back twice.

Don't miss the colorful Museum of Modern Art. The day we visited, it was being refurbished, so admission was free.

We appreciated the Riviera's adult-oriented setting and enjoyed meeting other guests around the evening firepit and during the limo rides. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank LadyElaine24
Reviewed October 15, 2007

"Take some snacks." Those three words best summarize what this little hotel, the Desert Riviera," is all about. They were spoken by Larry, the owner, as my wife and I were about to leave for Joshua Tree National Park. He was offering bags of pretzels, chips and cookies.

This is a definite departure for us. We try to stay in well known national chains when we're on the road. Not so this time. The Desert Riviera is an independent boutique hotel.

We looked at TripAdvisor, where the first Palm Springs listing (when we booked) was for this hotel.

The comments associated with the hotel fit within two categories: "I love this place" and "There are too many good reviews without any bad - it can't be true. Beware!"

The reviews are true. This place is a gem. I can't think of anything bad to say... OK, a few little things, but so tiny as to be inconsequential.

The Desert Riviera is a ten room hotel run by Larry, his wife Patty, and his sister Judy. One of them is on premises at all times. You're always dealing with someone who cares about the hotel's reputation (It was quite clear, they live and die with these tripadvisor.com reviews).

Our room was modern with accents that scream 1950s. It's dominated by a king sized bed. On the wall is a large flat panel TV. Off to the side are a bathroom with stall shower and stoveless kitchen.

As soon as I left my room, I was poolside. It was like I was in a private residence or club. Close your eyes and picture the pool with stark desert mountains as the backdrop.

There are chaises for lazing - certainly more than there are guests. Around the clock, each chaise has a pool towel folded over its reclining head. The pool (currently an amazing 88°) is lit and open around the clock.

Adjacent to the pool is the fire pit. I've written about this on my blog... in fact, I wrote a few days of blog entries sitting at the fire pit, under the stars. There's also a hot tub and a few round tables with umbrellas to block the harsh desert sun.

Limo transportation is provided for free, both to the airport and into town. It was offered one night when I asked for a restaurant recommendation, though we chose to drive ourselves. There are also a few bikes (including a bicycle built for two) in front of the office.

Before we left, my wife pointed out there are no telephones in the rooms. They're really not necessary anymore, are they? I can't think of any adult who doesn't travel with a phone in his pocket. Anyway, the office is only a few steps away.

As if to make up for it, there's a cordless phone in the vestibule leading into the office. It's available to guests for making free calls around-the-world.

There is no way a chain hotel or even larger independent could be as accommodating as Larry and Judy. With ten rooms, they really do know our names.

So, what's the downside? The hotel is pretty close to a main road, so you do hear the traffic a little. It was worse when the motorcycles were in town for a weekend Harley get together, but I'm guessing that was universal within Palm Springs. I also found the water temperature in the shower fluctuated a lot (though the pressure is great and the towels are large and fluffy).

This was a very positive experience for us. I will definitely come back. It's also encouragement to find this kind of place when we travel elsewhere... if this kind of place actually exists elsewhere!

Reviewed October 15, 2007

This is the way a hotel should be. My daughter and I wanted to get together for a short retreat out West. And what a treat it was. After seeing the hotel on their website and reading their TripAdvisor reviews we just had to stay there. Seeing isn't experiencing. The hotel is beautifully retro. Love at first sight. The beds were crisp. The decoration was first class. The garden grounds were immaculate. Just like the pictures.
We wanted a small, quiet, pristine environment... what we got was that... plus service up and beyond the call of duty.
From the moment my daughter and I settled in... to the hugs and good wishes filled farewell, we could not have chosen a better, more relaxing "zero stress" atmosphere in which to reconnect with each other.
Larry, Patty and Judy.... and Bob... saw to our smallest request ... "am I pushing the right button on the DVD player?"... to assistance with firing up the grill. We met and sat with some wonderful people around the firepit. Chose not to ride the bicycles since I have not been on one in about a hundred years. Did eat almost everything in the goodie basket upon arrival... sorry. And thoroughly enjoyed ourselves immensely. It really is the way things ought to be.

E. Regazzi
Michigan

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Staying at the Desert Riviera was an incredibly nice experience! The room was extremely clean and well kept, and the relaxing area around the pool was so comfortable! Larry, the owner, was very gracious, to the point that you felt like a member of his family. Judy went out of her way to also make our stay very pleasurable. When asked, Larry suggested several restaurants in the area, and his suggestions were outstanding. We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family