“Helios was outstanding”
Review of Helios

Helios
“Helios was outstanding”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful place in the middle of Palm Springs. Rooms are clean and good size. The grounds are tropical and lush. The pool and hot tub was clean and inviting. Love all the outdoor furniture where you have your pick from chairs to chaise lounges to hammock to bed futon. Great value clothing optional low key and relaxed or can be as adventurous as you want totally up to you. I won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Sdnavyguy

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Ed, Mike Carson and every other person I've encountered while staying at Helios reminds me why I keep the Resort at the top of my places to stay when visiting Palm Springs. Every attempt to ensure your needs are satisfied is apparent with the personal touch that Helios' owner, manager and houseboys demonstrate every day. The amenities are abundant, a fun indoor playground and beautiful grounds with a spa, heated pool and additional play areas for outdoor fun in the sun and shade.

Room Tip: The only bad room is an empty room at Helios. My personal preference, rooms 5-11 with a courtyard v...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Chris D
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was expecting high end luxuries after reading on the Helios webiste about luxurious robes in guest rooms. Instead, the rooms and amenities were shabby. The robes were second-hand, kept on board after La Posada became Helios. The towels and bath mats were thread-worn and needed replacing. The interiors of the rooms need a major upgrade, kitchenettes, baths, closets and all furnishings included. Though we had a king suite, it lacked a dresser, had a broken mirror, formica tile flooring in both baths, outdated fridge and microwave, doors that needed replacement due to damage over the years, frames that had pulled away from doors and shower stalls. The tiles in the flooring of the showers was the same as that on the walls of the shower and very slick when wet, posing a hazard to guests. All furnishing were second hands, purchased at yard sales and estate sales over the years. None of the furnishings matched and all were outdated. My guess is that the owners delight in getting a good deal at yard sales; not a delight to their guests. We had no working phone in our room. It appeared that it just needed a new cord to the phone jack, but I can't say for sure. The phone was dusty and covered with hairs as if it hadn't been used or cleaned in a year or more.

The courtyard and pool areas were nicely landscaped, with flowers, palms, shade, ok furniture. The Spanish decor on the outside of the rooms and the patios surrounding the accommodations area were acceptable, fairly presentable. Several fountains were not in working condition. Those not working needed cords replaced. The staff was reticent to turn on the misters during hot weather, something about not wanting to turn them on unless it was over 100 degrees, which it was....every day. When I asked if they could be turned on, I was told they would make the courtyard too humid; but the manager finally agreed to turn them on for me....for an hour. It did seem to me that the rules of the resort were more important than the comfort of the guests. Although it could have been that the owners were trying to save money....without regard to the guests.

If you go to Helios for its primary purpose - and you know what that is - it's an acceptable place to flop after fun. However, if you go to relax and be pampered, as you should at any place that bills itself a resort, you will be sorely disappointed.

We dealt with some issues where locals trespassed on the property after hours. We felt our safety might have been jeopardized, knowing there were ways to get into the grounds without a key and without permission. This particular individual was known to the owners as a trespasser; but they did little to deter him from trespassing. The individual snuck in four times during our stay; on one of those occasions, I , not the owner or manager, threw him out. Several videos were stolen from common areas during our stay. One room, unoccupied and left unlocked, was entered by the above mentioned trespasser. Unknown whether he stole anything from the room.

During the day, much activity goes on around the grounds that can be distracting to guests - multiple dogs of the owner, large dogs, playing and barking on the grounds, pool cleaning and grounds work during peak hours, general constant cleanup and busyness of the manager while guests are tryign to relax. This made for some manic times around the pool area.

Several employees were working there for the first time while we were there. Seems to be a high rate of turnover. One of them may have stolen the tip we left our last day there; we got a call from the manager asking if we had left a tip in the tip envelope and where we left it; he said all tip envelopes were missing from all rooms the morning we checked out. Yep, I would say there is a problem with the help. Drug money needed? Maybe.

We made the best of our choice of Helios, but in the future we would not go back there. We would look for an updated facility which places its guests as its top priority. Looking over reviews by others, I see mine is tame in comparison.

Guys, its time you invested some of your proceeds in upgrading both the facilities and reputation of Helios!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the courtyard. Or ask for a reference to a more updated facility in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank augmonster
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I just got back from Helios on 05/25/12 to 05/29/12. the rooms are ok, but the showers are too small and the beds are too hard.

Room Tip: Rooms anywhere is quieter because they are off from the street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank James T
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 16, 2012

although the place is fine, the beds comfortable and the staff friendly enough, there is a considerable security issue at helios. during my 2-night stay there were 2 cases of theft: my room was burglarized on one night, on the next night items were stolen from one of the common areas. worst of all was that upon checking out i was charged the full rates. you'd think after having goods (valued at 175.) stolen from my room, i'd be offered some kind of compensation. not a good way to run a business, and it goes without saying that i will not be returning.

Room Tip: don't pack anything of value: there's a good chance your room will be burglarized.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank seasonedtraveler107
ed s, Owner at Helios, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for bringing attention to me regarding the issue of the bath robes. I have replaced all the bath robes with 100% cotton terry bath robes.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 30, 2011

This place is super grotty. It doesn't look like they clean anything in the common areas.
And it is very quiet too unless it's one of their 'party' weekends.
it's a shame, it could be a whole lot better.
To top it all off, the staff look like they're either homeless or high on something. I won't ever go back here.

Room Tip: there is a big difference between rooms. Room 5 is quite nice (though this doesn't make up for...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank Shaun_Of_Oz
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I just returned from a 9-day visit to Palm Springs and Helios Resort and, like every time before, the experience was amazing. I arrived early at the resort (about 9:30 in the morning) and my room was ready and waiting for me. Once again, the owners and staff went out of their way to accommodate all their guests and their requests to make everyone feel comfortable and at home. Keep up the good work guys!!! The resort and grounds are just as wonderful and awesome as I remember from past trips and I felt at home as soon as I walked through the gate. And the lemon tree on the grounds was loaded with huge, juicy lemons just waiting to be picked and squeezed into all my margaritas... and there were many margaritas too. LOL The last 4 or 5 months have been a journey into hell for me and my stress level was approaching insanity levels; but all the guys at Helios created such an environment and level of service that all that stress and crap disappeared. I truly felt as if I was in paradise. I am ready for another return trip and am already working on getting back down there.

The weekend I was there was White Party, and once again, Helios threw one of their HOT HOT famous parties. And even though it was very cool that Saturday night, between 200 and 250 men descended upon the resort between 10pm and 6am to play play play. In fact, it was the resort's 2nd largest party turnout.

If there was a drawback on this trip it would probably be the construction taking place in the lot just east of the resort. The area hospital purchased the lot and is expanding its facilities and building a solar parking lot; but after working on construction sites for the last 5 years, the small amount of noise generated from the work-site was negligible and didn't impact my ability to get all the rest and relaxation I wanted or needed.

Once again guys, thanks for making this trip memorable as always and I am looking forward to my next trip to Palm Springs and my stay at Helios Resort.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo