“Sweet Hosts, Awful and avoidable circumstances”
Review of Helios

Helios
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sweet Hosts, Awful and avoidable circumstances”
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I arrived for my first stay at Helios to find Palms Springs looked like a tornado hit.. including the resort. The clean up took place that night and early he following morning. The Hosts were lovely. The accomodations were what I wanted. A quiet place with a pool to sit by for the following 3 days. The first morning I was awaoken at 7am to the drilling of the front pavement/ tiles being ground down and replaced. The construction took place from 7 til approx 5pm. No mention or apology from the owners about this. It was far too grating to sit by the pool when it sounded like I was sitting in a construction site. The second day it continued and by noon I was unwilling to take it any more.. I packed my bags and left. When I arrived at my new accomodations, I contacted them and expressed my dismay at not being told about this going to happen, the lack options presented to me ie: discounted room, or a time line for this work to be done, or a refund for the night I did not spend. They offered me a free one night when I returned for my next vacation there. I told them I would not be returning and would appreciate a refund on my last night. Never heard a response and never got any sort of refund. I have made it my choice to let my friends that go there often to pass along the less than great experience. They have, and will not be going there in the future and will advise others to choose other resorts as well.

• Liked — the hosts
  • Disliked — the construction site outside my door and no mention of the big pink elephant in the room.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank travlinguy6562

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ontario
Reviewed March 4, 2008

My recent stay at Helios, formerly named La Posada East, was not my first experience at this property. I have stayed at many resorts in Palm Springs for both business and pleasure but none draw me back quite like Helios. It is convenient, quiet, safe and fun. The owners are accommodating and friendly. The grounds are well manicured with quaint, clean rooms that form a courtyard-type layout with an attractive, heated pool as its centerpiece. It makes for great opportunities to socialize with friends and other guests, but is large enough for quiet time and privacy outdoors as well. My room had a kitchenette convenient for storing and preparing light meals, snacks &/or cocktails. A generous continental breakfast greets you daily with subtle background music and friendly conversation. By day, the magnificent mountain views against blue skies are breathtaking and by night, the evening air and strategically lit grounds make this oasis number one in my book. Helios' clothing optional policy affords ample opportunity for fun and relaxation without feeling self conscious or shy. Opportunities for adult male fun make this place exciting without it being obtrusive or annoying. The well informed owners and staff were eager to guide me to site seeing excursions, spa treatments and nightlife. They helped make my visit unforgettable, as they do every time. Helios provides an excellent experience from start to finish and I can't wait to do it all over again!! Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Clean, quiet and private.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Victoria, BC
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I stayed for 10 days and wished it was a longer trip the moment I arrived. The staff & owners are friendly & really helpful, directing me to the best places to dine, shop, explore and knew what was going on around town if you were interested & how to best get around too. I was made to feel right at home.
The breakfastst offer a great variety and is very relaxed.
About 10 minute walk to town, but food, liqour & restaurants are really close by. I had a kitchenette which I probably didn't need as there is a common area for guests to use too.
The rooms, grounds and play spaces are kept very clean & tidy and staff are always ensuring a high level of comfort.
I really appreciate the lack of attitude that I've experienced at other places, so Helios was a treat & I will be staying there agian in the fall.
Thank-you guys for making me fell welcome. I appreciated it!
PS... If you happen to be staying during one of their monthly pool parties you get the bonus of meeting lots of locals and fellow travellers. You will not be dissappointed!

• Liked — Owners & staff & activities.
  • Disliked — general location...might want a car for a bit as Palm Springs is really spread out now.
2 Thank sxthree
chicago, IL
Reviewed January 23, 2008

I was very pleasantly surprised when I got to Helios to see a very nice, well manacured area with a great pool.

I was even more impressed to find out what a great and attentive staff there was. The other guests were even great, interesting and fun as well!

The rooms were clean and fun, the breakfast was good, the hottub and pool were great and there were even play areas and I do like to play!
I will stay here every time I'm in the area.

• Liked — great pool and landscaping, great staff, good rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank absman_c
Twentynine Palms, CA
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Helios is quiet and relaxed. The grounds are well-kept. The staff are attentive and charming, lending an air of old-fashioned hospitality that is very rare in many area resorts.

• Liked — Warm, personable atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Music selection at poolside -- far too loud.
3 Thank DuncanMurphy
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I stayed at Helios on the recommendation of a friend and couldn't have been happier with my stay.

The place is great; the owners are great; the stay was GREAT!!

Like I said, I couldn't have been happier with the experience!

I would highly recommend it and I will be back!!

• Liked — The owners/managers and employees!
2 Thank bbbndggd
Vancouver
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We've been staying at Helios Resort (formerly LaPosada East) for about 4 years now and keep coming back because of the amazing service, great mountain views, clean rooms....and the sexy owners dont hurt either. The place has become more frisky since the name change with the special events (Rentboy pool parties, Michael Brandons Inappropriate Behavior party etc. )and the monthly late night pool parties but its not always an in your face sexuality,either. Age range is 30ish and up which suits us just fine and the crowd is as friendly as you want them to be. Keep up the good work guys and we'll keep coming back.

5 Thank CdnMountainman
#7 of 23 in Palm Springs
No photo provided
The Cottonwood
#53 of 143 in California Desert

Been to Helios? Share your experiences!