“The only place to order your wedding pies in Palm Springs area”

Manhattan in the Desert
Reserve with OpenTable
Manhattan in the Desert is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 324 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Farrell
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I honestly cannot praise Donna and the baking staff at Manhattan in the Desert enough. My daughter and I were quite frustrated after meeting with another baker who seemed unwilling to deviate from her standard pies. My daughter had very specific ideas of the pies she wanted, including one few people had heard of but her friend in Washington DC made it and gave my daughter the recipe. We suddenly got the idea of dropping into a deli to see what they could do. Donna said the pastry chef could and would make any pies we wanted for the wedding. And all the ingredients would be fresh - and they would use any recipe my daughter provided if she was requesting something special. We ended up ordering ten pies in four flavors. My daughter and I dropped in the restaurant a couple of days before the wedding and discovered her pie flavors in the pastry case - the baker had done a practice run on the pies that were not in his usual repertoire - Donna immediately brought us a slice of each one (complimentary) and they were each so yummy. The full compliment of pies was baked the morning of the wedding, amazingly decorated, and delivered to the reception site (see my also great review of Agua Caliente for receptions). Between the Manhattan folks and the Agua Caliente team, the pies were perfecty displayed, Our guests were so eager to get to the pie - they were begging the bridal couple to do the traditional ceremonial first cut. And every single person said they were so happy to have the pies rather than the usual dried out wedding cake. Kudos to Manhattan in the Desert - great wedding pies. Picture later.

There are newer reviews for Manhattan in the Desert

Reviewed September 5, 2012

As a frequent guest to Palm Springs, I have had the pleasure of eating at this restaurant many times. Always enjoying my dining experience I chose this place to host a lunch for a good friend of mine who was driving over from LA to see me.
Our waiter Felipe made this special lunch very unspecial and embarrassing. His treatment of us was so unusual that I am certain I will never return

Moments after we were seated Felipe appeared to take our order. I explained that we had just been seated, so haven't looked at the menu yet. Moments later he returned. I explained that my friend had never dined here so it will take her some time to review the menu (which is very large).
Again, he returned quickly. Sensing he was trying to rush us, I explained that we hasn't seen each other in awhile; she had just driven two hours and we were looking for a leisurely lunch.

This is usually a very busy restaurant, but we were dining midday on a holiday weekend. At no time did a line ever form at the door. I was sensitive to that.

Well we ordered and ate and then immediately was given a check. I asked for a dessert menu. Felipe seemed disappointed we weren't leaving. Desserts here are huge, so we had a lot leftover.
Felipe put down the redone check while we eating our dessert. And while we were eating came and tried to close the check out.

Still no lines and about 40% of the room we were in was empty. Three times in the next few minutes Felipe would interrupt us to ask if we were set. On the final time, Felupe asked is to leave the booth "because people are waiting".

We left the booth about 70 minutes after sitting down. My friend went to us the bathroom. I talked to the hostess, who was horrified at Felipe's behavior. She encouraged us to go sit back in the booth. We felt that would be too uncomfortable. She had us sit in their cafe, which are wired chairs in the bakery. She said Felipe would be addressed regarding this and even offered us something complimentary. We just got two glasses of water and there we remained for an hour visiting.

I hope Felipe was talked to. As I first stated, I have had many good experiences at this restaurant, but have and certainly will share with all my Palm Springs friends what happened to me by this waiter. As my friend said stunned "I have never seen a waiter do that?". In one hour, I have gone from a fan to a critic of this establishment.

3  Thank David W
Reviewed September 4, 2012

when it comes to good food you must try Manhattan in the desert. the portions are so big you will need a to go box. the club sandwich was on of the best ive ever had. denver isnt the only thing thats mile high! sandwiches are too. and the desserts are among the best in palm springs.

1  Thank chrisballard
Reviewed September 3, 2012

one of only two places to get decent deli food in palm springs, the other being Sherman's. Both have their fans and detractors and both serve ENORMOUS plates of food

Reviewed August 22, 2012

What can I say other than great food (and lots of it) at a good price. In fact, so much food, most items could be shared. Deserts are killer.