“Perfect”
Review of The Desert Star

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Desert Star
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Am so thrilled that I picked this little gem to stay in -- LOVED LOVED IT!! Made friends with other guests (only 6 rooms in total) sitting around the fire by the pool -- how amazing is that! Beats large anonymous hotels hands down (and I say that as an extensive world traveller). Very close to the downtown and a lovely coffee place called koffi.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally comfortable & individually styled -- I will try Rm 4-6 next time!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bonnie D

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I dig this little hotel, they have everything you need and are very accomodating. Free bikes for your use, kitchens in every room, steps to the pool. The small number of rooms and no kid policy ensure a relaxing day by the pool, gazing at the palm trees and mountains, snacks and drinks at the ready.
A friend staying up the road came over with his 4 year old, to have a drink by the pool and the owners were very accomodating despite the no kid rule. I could tell my friend didn't want to leave, hell I never want to leave.
The room was so comfortable yet stylish we didn't end up leaving much despite big plans.
Its walking distance to the Ace which was a fun bar night out, but so nice to return to the calm comfort of Desert Star.
Owners are friendly and there when you need them, but unintrusive, providing plenty of privacy.
The pool is small but so few people there it doesn't matter, and all rooms have a private patio off the back of the rooms.

Room Tip: They're all unique
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were attending a big fancy wedding and didn't want to stay at the hotel. Desert Star was just donw the road and such a nice place to return to. The attention to details was amazing. If I ever go back to Palm Springs, this is where we will stay.

I thought I wrote a review previously, but don't see it. I regret it took so long to post this. These guys will certainly take good care of you.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We loved the Desert Star Hotel! Beautiful design and full of great midcentury furniture and decor. Only six units, so very quiet and private. The saltwater pool was great and even in the hot summer the pool was shaded perfectly in the afternoon. We enjoyed taking the two cruiser bikes out in the morning for coffee too. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Super clean (I think you could eat off of the paving stones on the patio and floors!); well supplied units; great, prompt and friendly tho' unobtrusive service. It's a quiet secluded little place in a great location with a great host. The WiFi was a real plus.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Desert Star 3 times now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I travel from Melbourne, Australia, to visit it whenever I am in the United States. I seriously think I am obsessed with that place and how good I feel when I stay there. I dream about The Desert Star and I have photos of it on my office wall.

EVERYTHING about this place calls me back year after year; peaceful, private, the beautifully conditioned pool, the cruiser bikes, the perfect host, Davy... everything everyone else says in the previous reviews is true, Davy is the nicest guy you could imagine. If I could own a room at the D.S., I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I wish everyone knew how great this place is but at the same time, I am really glad not everyone knows or it would be difficult to book in.

The rooms are perfect in size and comfort and are absolutely spotless. I love that I can self cater. I love the private courtyards outside each bungalow. The decor is divine; simple, stylish and cosy. The beds are super comfy and the linen super soft. I have stayed in Bungalow 2 (my fave) and also Bungalow 6 (larger and more luxurious with the shower room). Check out the Desert Star website for photos of each gorgeous room... I can assure you that the photos are super accurate.

What I like most: everything (sorry, it's true, DS is a complete package of goodness)
What I liked least: that I live so far away!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank snowdropper
Reviewed October 12, 2010

first off, davy was quick to respond to my e-mail request for availability, and was able to accommodate just what i was looking for on short notice.

upon arrival, i was impressed with the low-slung, mid-century architecture and the fact that it's a boutique hotel with no rowdy kids or parties going on. there are just 6 bungalows, and ours (#3) was a delightful suite with a clean design and very cool layout. plus, the large, private patio was an added treat. the moment we stepped forth, an amazing sense of calm and relaxation took over, and we seriously didn't want to leave the room.

davy was extremely helpful and non-intrusive, and he was able to provide us with excellent dinner recommendations which we heeded. it all added up to a fantastic weekend which i had been stressing over for weeks in hopes of getting it right. leave it to the desert star to get everything right.

i can't recommend this place highly enough, and it's not a question of if we'll be back soon - it's when we'll be back soon.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple