“You get what you pay for”

Palm Canyon Resort & Spa
Ranked #54 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We normally stay at a nicer resort and we love palm springs. We saw a deal here for a 69 dollar a nigh "mini villa" so we decided to try a new place. Well we got what we paid for. The room looks like a bad motel six. The "kitchenette" was really dated. There was mold on the bathroom walls. The mattress was lumpy. The website makes it look like there is a nice golfing green on the premises but it isn its down the street so the "resort" has more of a motel/apartment feel. Here is the good news. The pool is gorgeous and the bar at the pool makes a stiff regularly priced mixed drink. I had a few gin and sodas and thats all I needed. The staff was very friendly. Its close to restaurants and movie theater. Even though I don't have kids it seemed pretty kid/family friendly. For the money we spent it wasn't horrible but don't expect all the niceties of a resort. The pool is the strongest quality one of the best I've been to. Oh ya, the worst part is you have to pay hourly for wifi. Practically everywhere has free wifi they charge 5 dollars an hour or 10 dollars for 24 hours .

2  Thank Shaunskel

Reviewed September 11, 2010

Room was not ready at 5:30 pm. Hallways smelled. When given our first room and set of keys, we walked in on a man in his underwear watching TV. For this embarassment and inconvenience, we were comped one entre at the poolside burger joint. Got our room, felt like we had been transported to the 1970's, furnishings are out of date and very cheap. Kitchen cabinets cheap particle board with formica. Needed a drink, building ice machine did not work. Went to hot tub spa, water had inch thick brown soap suds on top. Room smelled like manure, traced it to the air conditioning vents which were covered in green slime. Carpets dirty and frayed. Furniture paint chipped and upholstery torn. Bed was lumpy and did not have fitted sheets, kept coming apart through the night. Vertical blinds on sliders would not work properly, hard to open old heavy doors to patio. Wall paint blistered and chipped in bathroom, baseboards chipped and missing molding around floor, very scuzzy. Returning to our room on the third day of hell, our keys would not work, had to go to the office for new keys. All in all, an unbelievably bad resort.

1  Thank doglady4
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The website for the "resort" was very misleading, it appeared to be a fairly nice place with some decent amenities. We decided to stay here for a simple weekend getaway. What a mistake!
Our room was a disaster area. While none of the issues were, by themselves, a major problem, there were so many that I felt compelled to call the front desk. I needed them to know that these issues were preexisting so we wouldn't get charged for damage! The microwave handle was broken, the refrigerator wouldn't close properly, the lights would dim and then come back on again, the side of the tub was broken and loose and the kitchen faucet was broken!!! Unreal... They wanted to send someone from their "Engineering Department" to repair said issues. (I expected another room.) We told them no, we were already unpacked and tired from travel. We would just deal with it. (For your information- Maid service is only provided if you're staying longer than 5 days, in which time you'll get it once...)
The pool was what we were there for anyway, so with books and sun tan lotion in hand, we traded our Towel Cards for towels. ($10.00 replacement cost) At witch time the towel guy asks for my wrist so he could put a purple band on it!!
"Umm, what's this for?" i asked him. Evidently they have a problem with locals crashing the pool on the weekends. The pool gate key card locks are disabled and an employee stands there to let you in and out of the pool area!! Ever been to a "wet and Wild" water park? Yeah, same idea...
Reading my book at poolside was too much of a chore due to the roar of at least 15 people playing Marco Polo at the top of their lungs...Adults included...can anyone say uncouth? My Girlfriend was about to go into ORBIT! (By the way... I may at this point sound like an old fart, but I'm not. I'm in my 30's and enjoy having fun as much as the next guy.) Everyone sitting around us was expecting one of the many employees standing around to say something, but that never happened.
Finally we we had enough of the chaos and decided to go into town instead. Downtown Palm Springs is only about 4 miles from the resort, but we didn't want to drive. I had two overpriced beers at the pool and she had a drink also. We called the concierge to arrange for the shuttle. The response given over the phone to her was "don't you have a car?" We were FLOORED at the sheer rudeness.
I walked to the front desk and asked them for the phone number for a Taxi. The person behind the desk almost INSISTED that HE called the Taxi. I finally told him that we simply weren't ready to go yet and that I'm perfectly capable of using a telephone. He sort of huffed and put his info binder down on the desk and wrote the number on a piece of paper. I noticed at the top of the page was a kickback dollar amount for calls originating at the desk!!! Wow... (Downtown palm Springs is very nice by the way. Good food, the "Matchbox" restaurant was fantastic, and great shopping as well.)
I am a seasoned traveler, as is my Girlfriend. We expect certain things from a resort, especially at such a high price...
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

2  Thank Fletch1977
Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Palm Springs a six night stay at Palm Canyon Resort and Spa. We paid $125 a night, which isn't cheap, but is cheaper since August isn't the peak season for Palm Springs. We discovered the hotel during our research while planning the trip in March and it looked very nice. Plus, many of the reviews we read gave the resort praise.

Upon arrival to the resort, we checked in (check in is at 4 p.m.) and then headed to our junior villa. The upkeep of the walls in the hotel could be much better. Along the hallways by the elevator and to our room, there was clearly damage (wall marks, scratches, chunks of sheet rock missing) from various wear and tear.

We found the same type of wear and tear in our room, which is unacceptable. The hotel should keep the buildings clean and cosmetically appealing. We also found that the shower curtain in our bathroom was moldy (ew! do I have to say more?). Also, the room did not have dark blinds. And since our room faced east, the sun was shining in bright and early, which was frustrating. The air conditioning in the room was okay, but it took nearly 24 hours for the room to reach an acceptable temperature, which was no cooler than 78 degrees (a little warm when you're facing 117 degree heat, no?).

Then, out of the six nights we stayed, we only received housekeeping services three times. We were supposed to received housekeeping everyday. The front desk was called every night we did not receive housekeeping. Upon the second occurrence, we were promised vouchers for breakfast and lunch, but they were never received. We did want money taken off the bill; after all, you pay to have the bed made and the towels replenished, but the manager said no money could be removed. On the third night housekeeping didn't come (our last night at the resort), we called management once again and then they personally delivered a voucher for two breakfasts. However, it is disgraceful that three calls had to be made regarding the housekeeping situation. After the first call, there should not have been any further problems.

Aside from these issues, I have to say that the pool lived up to its expectations. Unfortunately, however, I will never return to Palm Canyon Resort and Spa. Your hotel does not make your vacation what it is, but it is a very important part. After all, it's where you stay night after night. It becomes your "home" for all intensive purposes. I have stayed at other hotels (not resorts) and have received free (and delicious) continental breakfast, housekeeping every day, and a very well-kept room for about $60 a night. For double the price, next time I visit Palm Springs I'm more likely to choose the Best Western over Palm Canyon.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KMT568
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We just stayed at this resort and the amenities were better than expected. The furniture was old, but the room was large and clean although it did smell old. We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa. They had dishes, a dishwasher and a fridge in the kitchen which was great. The bathrooms had rusted drain plugs in them that need to be replaced. The AC unit is noisy. Overall the appearance of the room is that of a 1.5 to 2 star hotel. Don't expect more than that. The pool was great and so were the activities for the kids. My 3 kids had a blast at this place. When we checked out, I turned in all 5 of my towel cards ( you will be charged $10 per card if you don't) so there should've been no charges on my card. I get home the next day and check the card and there's a $4500 charge from a printing comapny in Canda and the only place I pulled the card out was at this resort at the front desk when I checked in. Looks like someone got some brochures printed at my expesnse. lol

Overall, expect to have a good time if you go, but be sure to check your credit card when you leave to be sure you aren't paying for more than you expected.

1  Thank Traveldude777
Reviewed July 23, 2010

My family and I just returned after our 4 day stay to Palm Canyon resort and Spa. Check in was quick, the front desk was accomodating, in which we were traveling with 11 people..we had a 3 bedroom villa and a 1 bedroom junior suite just above. The villas are huge, rooms a spacious size, kitchen is decent and clean. In addition the balconies were awesome nice to just sit out at night and relax under the stars. First day, we hit the pool. LOVED the water slide! The lifeguard who was on watch was an older gentleman...he was strict but we understood safety first so please recognize him for his relentless passion. With the number of travelers at the resort the pool is way too small. We all seemed packed like a bunch of sardines in the water. With alot of people in the pool, the temperature of the water was a little too warm to swim in. One thing that the resort should consider removing is the black towel cards. To be charged an extra $10 if the cards are not returned at check out is ridiculous. We felt really bad for the staff who was handing out bracelets to enter the pool..they were sweating, working hard to accomodate guests and all the staff had was a little fan to cool them off. Please treat your staff bettter so they can better service your guests. The bar by the pool was great...loved the misters that kept us cool and the bartending staff was quick, friendly and gracious. We did enjoy all the drink specials during certain times of the day such as 2:00pm root beer floats or snow cones for just $2....OUTSTANDING idea for the kids. One gentleman who was wearing at the time a USA soccer jersey was THE BEST....he was efficient, and willing to take our picture for us even though he was very busy. I apologize that we forgot his name but please do recognize him (July 10-13). During our time there we also used the indoor basketball facility which the kids really enjoyed. Thank you Palm Canyon staff and resort for making our family vacation a very fun and relaxing one :)

Reviewed July 21, 2010

They take control of the AC so getting out of the heat you need to go to the lobby where you check in. Or where they sign you up to be owners. Otherwise the rooms are HOT we had maintenance come up and check it out. Their answer was this is as good as it gets.. We had a two bedroom and one room the vent is near the door and warm air comes out so had to pack 4 people in the living room. Master bed room is big but ac or if you call it that blows away from bed cool spot is stand right in front of TV. Bathroom had black mold on edges of the tub and the shower leaked on people below. So they had to repair our bathroom with 6 of us waiting to use it.. Blankets and sheets had stains and holes and pillowcases. TVs were nice flat screen. Temp outside was 117 and the pool was around 100 so not refreshing at all. I have an SUV and parking is 6' so had to park outside on the road. Over all it ruined our vacation. Was a bad choose for us. I don't recommend at all. But that’s our opinion.