“Great family time.....but TOO HOT”

Palm Canyon Resort & Spa
Ranked #58 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Portland, Oregon
“Great family time.....but TOO HOT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

The resort was nice but the weather was too hot (115-117) to enjoy anything outdoors. Even with mist in the shaded area by the pool it was too hot to sit outside and read a book. And the pool was very crowded with kids with very warm water. Even the "adult" area of the pool was loaded with kids.

So we found other things to do in the area that were indoors. The guys enjoyed the Air Museum and the gals enjoyed Dollville-Bearville. There were dolls that looked like real babies. We went to the latest Harry Potter movie. We found a very good coffee place - Koffi - has 2 locations. My son writes for a coffee magazine in Phoenix and rated the place very high. They have wonderful muffins and a "drip" bar which is hard to explain. We went on the Ariel Tram (a AAA automotive card gives you a discount) It was a little hazy but worth the trip, but if you are afraid of heights you should NOT ride the Tram. You stand up and the floor rotates as you ride to the top.
The rooms were very large with a well equipped kitchen. I'm glad we had a view of the mountains and not the pool. It was very quiet. We were not hassled regarding going to a time share meeting.

I would recommend this resort but NOT during the hot summer time. There are too many things you can't enjoy because of the heat.

1 Thank Fun_Awaits

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
jumpsuitj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

I had the most horrific experience at Palm Canyon Resort and Spa. I went into a dark kitchen to get a glass of water and to my surprise, when I turned on the light, roaches were running everywhere-big ones and little ones! I could hardly sleep and in the morning, I went to the front desk and complained and complained. Ultimately, my room was switched to a much nicer room, but the trauma still persisted. Their only excuse was that the desert is known for roach infestations and they try and control the problem as best as possible, however, I have stayed in many other desert resorts and I never saw one roach let alone 50 plus. If you stay there, remember to keep your food stored away and shake your clothing before you pack them away. You don't want any unwelcomed guests in your home!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jumpsuitj

Travelers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

reno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

What a beautiful place. You feel like you are in Palm Springs back in time. It is such a classy, beautiful place that you do not want to leave. It is relaxing and you are so well taken care of and pampered. If you want to see how a first class operation is run you must visit this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
East Bay CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

Summer in the desert.....extremely HOT! But, I guess that was expected. Late arrival, lobby was locked. Had to wait a few minutes until I was "buzzed" in. Check-in experience - not bad, but not great either.....so so. Room (1st floor) was spacious and clean. However, noticed that one window slat (window covering) was missing. Resolved within 15 minutes. Pool was a super-plus during the extreme heat, crowded at times, even at night! Overall, the staff didn't go "above & beyond", but the stay was okay. What ruined it for me was receiving my credit card statement and seeing a $50 charge. I called the resort and they said it was for not turning in "towel" cards ($10 each x 5). I explained that I turned in the cards at the front lobby express checkout box. I was told they have no records. Still in dispute, but heads up to others. Make sure you don't fall for their "convenient" express checkout method by placing your cards in the box. Turn in your cards to the front desk and have them sign-off on it.....

cricketwith5
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

The pool was the main attraction for me. My children loved it. The water was great. The room I stayed in was a little outdated, but clean the Jr Suites are very small it was all they had at the time of my stay. Would I recommend absolutely we are going back.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

This place is truly great. It's about a 5 min cab ride away from great shops and restaurants. They have a top notch pool, with a great bar. It's walking distance from multiple trails to hike, tennis and golf. The grounds are well maintained and the rooms are super clean. I would highly recommend it for a nice getaway.

- the barking turtle

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eric65
Fullerton, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

We took our daughter & two of her friends. We had a great time. The kids loved it. We had a 2 bedroom...a little outdated but nice. We had a view of the mountains. The pool was great and it wasn't too far from downtown. We are looking forward to going back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family