“An ok place if you get a good deal - decent but not great”

Palm Canyon Resort & Spa
Ranked #59 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here during a very busy time so only selected this place because of the ok reviews and the great price we were able to get it for. And that's basically how it was - ok.
It's a little far from Palm Dessert and lots of the dining and shopping we like to do, but still manageable. We were also bombarded with the Time Share pitch when getting our parking pass but I just said no right away and they left us alone for the rest of our stay. Speaking of parking, we were in a spot that had underground parking which was nice and cool.
The hotel itself was ok, a little worn down but nothing major, the room was decent although there were lots of hairs in the bathtub which made me fear that it wasn't washed very well before we got there. We weren't a fan of having to pay for internet service, especially when we heard it wasn't very good and you had to pay per device. There were little things like the main light buzzing loudly when turned on and the hotel not replacing the toiletries and house keeping calling us every morning too early to see if we wanted service and I found the bed really uncomfortable and usually I'm not too hard to please... but that being said, it certainly wasn't horrible and if this was the cheapest (by far) option in the future we'd probably stay again (but certainly look for other options first).

3  Thank BAMKO

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Reading all of the 'bad' reviews here, I just don't know what people would expect. If you want fancy, go to the Hilton..

It was just fine. It was a big 2 bedroom and it had most amenities that you could ask for. Really, we don't spend much time in the room anyway.

The pool area was pretty awesome.. lots of room to sun yourself and 2 pools make it easy to have a swim without being bothered much.

The only bad things were: wifi (come on.. let's start giving free wifi to guests), the 'concierge' which were actually timeshare pushers.. quite annoying and aggressive women that I would rather not even give the time to. She chased me to my car after I forgot my parking pass. I just wanted my parking pass but instead she grilled me "You mean you DON'T WANT A VACATION FOR 17 DOLLARS A NIGHT???" No, I don't. I just got off a plane, I'm tired and would like my pass.

Overall, it was just fine. I'd stay there again with the kids.

2  Thank Gina I
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We used Diamond Points to get in to resort. Our room was in Palm Building 2136 as I recall. It faced Murray Canyon Road. Looked out on large vacant lot. we could see the mountains. Some traffic moved quite fast, but it died down by bedtime.

Our flight got in close to 6PM. Took us awhile to get checked in. we had to wait our turn, then had to go to another person for parking pass which is dumb. We had already agreed to time share pitch. My wife likes the $75 we get for wasting a couple of hours. so close to 8 before we could settle in.

Room was spacious, but lighting could be improved. Really can't sit at kitchen bar because hard to see. Toilet room light worked off and on. They did fix it when we told them. And just seemed it lacked light in places.

We had 7AM flight out, Sat Apr 20, so Fri I checked with desk to make sure hoe to leave resort at 5 AM. And also asked if we owed anything. We didn't. we went to Follies Matinee, when we got back to room our keys no longer worked. wife wanted to exchange a dress which was in room, back downtown, so she was not pleased when we had to walk back to lobby to get new keys. Woman at desk wanted to know how we got another night. It took some insistence on our part that it was in original plan.

There is nothing within walking distance. We had a car so we could drive to Ralphs when needed, but might not work for everyone.

Great pool area. wife spent several afternoons there.. I joined her part time. she is sun person, I am not.

If we go back to Palm Springs we may return since we have Diamond points. I do know we will try to get in Oasis Bldg or get a pool side room

1  Thank phirl
Reviewed April 14, 2013

First warning ... Palm Canyon splits and becomes East and South. Pay close attention or you might miss the split and be on East without knowing it.

The resort has just been taken over by Diamond Resorts and there is a vibe between the old people and the Diamond people. On arrival it makes sense to go through the door market 'reception' right? Wrong, got sent to another door. There the reception people were nice but even after 5pm our second unit wasn't available yet. We ended up with each junior villa (fancy way of saying hotel room with enough extra space for a convertable couch and counter with a semi-kitchen) at either end of the building hallway. After registering we got sent to another desk to get a parking permit.

That person asked if I wanted to receive information on the newest resorts added by Diamond in the area .... they kept apologizing for conditions due to Diamond only just taking over the place... I didn't connect the dots and said yes. Warning, it is a timeshare sales pitch. They did promise only 55 minutes the next morning before Knotts soak city opened.

So, check into rooms.... they do need a good reconditioning. But they were clean and basically met our needs. Went to pool looking forward to using the slides. Nope. slides can only be used when lifegaurd is on duty which is maybe 9 to 4:30. Right when we would be at soak city. sigh. We did get to use them on Friday after checking out and before starting the drive home. The lifegaurd was nice and was controlling the bigger slide to make sure the bottom was clear before the next person came down. Didn't do that for the smaller slide for the younger kids which resulted in some mayhem on that slide.

Once Diamond reconditions the place and if the lifegaurd is on duty longer hours ... at least until 6 and hopefully to 8pm ... then I would recommend it.

Oh, only Internet is to but day pass for ATT at a per device price. So, if you have both a pc and a tablet or mobile device than you have to pay for each of them. Once you pay the $10 for a day pass it is rather slow service.
... and, the cell phone service on either ATT or Tmobile was often non-existent.

Whatever you do no matter what they offer do not do the timeshare presentation. They won't let you leave.... even quite a lot longer after the 55 minutes. They start out nice and friendly and social and then turn into some really really really nasty and hard sales type and they are quite snarly about having paid for your time when you finally insist long after 55 minutes that you need to leave.

Room Tip: Room numbering is confusing. 4001 and 4017 are at opposite ends of the building and all rooms betwe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank cncgandolf
diamondresorts, Manager at Palm Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for sharing your opinion with your fellow travellers. We would like to take this opportunity to advise that, as you have mentioned in your review, we have a refurbishment program scheduled and will be working towards introducing a unified high standard throughout the resort.
We assure you that we do not advocate a 'hard sales' approach and we will address this with the representatives on site - we apologise if you felt inconvenienced in any way due to this.
We will also reconsider the lifeguard’s duty hours, thank you for your suggestion.
We do hope that you had an overall pleasant stay, however, and that you will consider us for your future bookings.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just got back from this property. We had a very good experience. After being worried by some of the postings we had read on Trip Advisor, we were pleasantly surprised. The resort itself was nice enough, with a great pool and slides for the kids. The indoor basketball/volleyball court was a nice touch. Our villa/apartment was spacious and there was no problem with thin walls, despite the resort being sold out. Staff was incredibly accommodating all around. Internet (we brought a MiFi device) was spotty and sometimes slow, but adequate for web devices and phones. It's a medium-end place that tries really hard to overcome it's natural challenges (age, internet) and does so pretty well.

Room Tip: Ask for pool-side view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I came here with two friends for the first time and it was fun. Our hotel was only $90 for the night. It was a junior villa with a kitchenette. The location was not near downtown but was just a $12 cab ride. The pool was big with a bar and a water slide.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Palm Canyon Resort is a good place for families, but there is just some minor issues: 1) since resort is located next to mountain, you will have no phone service/4g internet or very little reception (at&t)---2) resort will sell you wifi but at $9.95 they take advantage of little or no reception!---3) water-slides close too early-4pm--4) be careful on large slide, my brother injured leg upon landing. Why they would put pool drain cover on floor right where you land is ridiculous!

• Stayed: March 2013