“Great place”

Ranked #58 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place is great. Staff was helpful and pleasant. Place is clean but older. The main pool was closed during spring break but they worked hard to get it working as soon as they could. Everyone agreed they should have done it during the winter months but i think they had no control over it. It was a Diamond decision. No cell service is a disappointment but isn't that what a vacation is about. A teenager without cell and wifi, made me happy it was quality family time. My only complaint is the beds, they appear to be very worn. I felt like the mattress sunk in a bit. Furniture is pretty up to date. They also were scarce on the housekeeping items like toilet paper and garbage bags, we had to keep asking for items. I didn't appreciate the high pressure come attend a timeshare presentation but a simple no a few times will work. I will be back, nice relaxing resort feel.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the pool is nice
1 Thank Mohrkri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
vancouver, bc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I would have given this place a 4/5 if not for the fact that they shut down their large pool 1 1/2 days into our stay. This single incident ruined our vacation. Here's the thing. This resort's main attraction is it's pool. We booked our vacation here because the pool makes this resort a fun place for our children. The resort itself is also nice, and the rooms are quite spacious, but you can get similar rooms types in better locations in Palm Springs. This location is quite far from anything. I understand the need for regular pool maintenance, and that occasionally it needs to be shut down, but we were not informed of this at the time of our booking (they said they did, but we checked our booking confirmation and they did not). On top of it, we were here during Spring Break week. Does it make sense to do maintenance on a pool at a resort geared towards families during Spring Break? Also, the temperature was averaging 90 at this time. Why not do it in February when its colder and less people are using the pool? This to me is just plain STUPID, and a poor decision from a business standpoint.

1 Thank dlcq

Travelers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

Vancouver Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have stayed at many places before (low budget to high end) and this place has the potential to be great but the service is severely lacking.

Check in is at 4:00 pm and when we arrived at 4:00 pm we were told our room was not ready yet. I questioned the check in time and was told "yes maaaam the check in time is at 4:00 pm but that doesn't mean your room is available at that time"! Oh?

The said we could use the pool while we were waiting for our room and that we just needed to make sure that the pool towels were returned or we would be charged. After filling out forms for the towels and leaving my credit card info they reiterated the very importance of returning the towels.

Housekeeping - we requested housekeeping on Wednesday and we were told they were too busy and that Thursday was our day. Thursday came and went after a call to housekeeping and a second call to the manager - no housekeeping and no return call from manager or housekeeping. We have been here for a week!

There is undercurrent here of highly underpaid, under appreciated and people being stretched because they are severely understaffed.

Go somewhere where your dollar is appreciated.

Other points to note - place is great from the outside - pool is great - inside is in need of major repairs.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank sareese
Vista, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here to celebrate my parents' 62 wedding anniversary. The staff was absolutely wonderful and the villa was spotless! I LOVED the little sign under the bed that says "yes, we clean here too!". We wanted to relax and that's exactly what we did!

Room Tip: Top floor gives you a view of the mountains......the water pressure in the shower was out of this wo...
Ottawa Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

To begin with, this review will address the hotel/resort itself, not Diamond Resorts International - that is covered in a separate place. Additionally, I will not speak to the kinds of "maintenance" issues about which we advised management at the hotel. If you'd like further information on either of these, please contact me.

It will address the resort as a place to visit, and from which to see attractions.. in short, I was pleased with the time we spent there, though I doubt it is worth what is claimed as "5-star status". However, they were "renovating" (a misnomer in this case) the place, so who knows what all they would do.

The pool area is lovely, on a par with Grand Beach at Orlando. Internet is NOT free, and in fact is very costly, including in their "business centre" (a misnomer as well).

Be cautious of the room assigned; there are many types. We were originally to have a 2-bedroom/1-bath (for two non-family couples, so unacceptable). So, after a period of an hour or so, they were able to get a 2-bed/bath - which we later moved out of and into the type of room which was more appropriate. Throughout all of this, staff were pleasant and eager to help.

Attractions in the area are many - we even took a trip into LA for 1-day. There's so much to do and see. But I missed not having a lake or ocean nearby.

Must see places - everyone there knows them: Living Desert, Salton Sea, Joshua Tree Park, Desert Hot Springs baths, etc. If you like to hike in mountainous areas, this is the place.

If you are going in on DRI points - too bad. If not, look around at prices in Palm Desert as well - it's closer to all the action - though not at the foot of the mountains in Palm Springs. They may be higher but might be nicer: we were told that all the celebrities left PS and went to PD instead, to get away from the tourists.

Have fun - nice pool!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Doug-1234
diamondresorts, Manager at Palm Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We have noted your comments and would like to assure you that we are in the process of refurbishing the hotel, to ensure that our guests continue to receive the high standards that are expected from Diamond. This will inevitably result in certain areas appearing a little “dated” compared to others. We are sorry of this has caused you any inconvenience. We hope there will be another chance to welcome you back to the Palm Canyon Resort & Spa Palm Springs and are confident that your next stay will be pleasurable under every aspect.

We are really glad to read that otherwise your time spent with us was pleasurable and you have enjoyed our location and the attractions available in the area. Thank you for all the tips shared with your fellow travellers.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you are looking for a nice place to relax and are willing to go out and enjoy all that Palm Springs has to offer, this is the place for you. But if you want to sit in your room and be on the internet, cell phone, or watch TV 24/7, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. It's also not the place to get drunk and party with your friends all night long. It's a quiet resort and spa, not MTV world. I'm glad for the security on the premises. I like the fact that the pool area is restricted so is not cluttered up with people's personal items. I like sitting on my private balcony, particularly if we are not surrounded by people who are addicted to nicotine.

Check-in was easy - they offered ice water to us as we waited in line for about 15 minutes. And yes, they want you to attend a timeshare presentation. Guess what - this place is a timeshare. All you have to do is say no. No need to be offended.

Yes, the place needs updating. But the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and parking is only a problem if you drive a giant SUV -- then you will have to walk a few extra feet from an outside parking space because your vehicle can't clear the underground height limits. The pool area is huge and only gets really busy on the weekends.

Best of all, the property is situated on the south end of town and is on the edge of the mountains. The location is beautiful, very close to hiking and horse trails (not to mention a golf course across the street). It's not within walking distance to restaurants and shops, but a quick look at a map (like Google Earth) before leaving home would have told you that. Get out of your room, take a drive, and explore Palm Springs and the entire valley. Relax and enjoy your vacation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HOPEFUL12345
Provincetown, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had been traveling for literally 12 hours and arrived at the resort at 8pm. I checked in and was ushered into a room where a very pretty Stephanie was sitting at a desk....I was led to believe I was getting my parking pass. But Stephanie had maps and suggestions where I should go as points of interest. She then went into a hard sell about attending a timeshare seminar. i wasn't interested. I told her so. She wouldn't take no for answer. I said yes I would attend just to get her off my back....I was hungry and wanted to go to bed. When I said yes...she said "great" There's a $20 dollar "good faith" deposit to hold my place. I shouted NO. She went from friendly to hostile in a New York second. I told her to just point out the direction of my room....I was finished. Talk about leaving a bad impression right off the bat!

The room was someone's timeshare who rents it out. That was ok. But, the rooms aren't soundproofed...you could hear every noise from each room on both sides. The other rooms were like party central, yelling and screaming, kids running in the hallways. Total chaos. Two men were playing street hockey in the parking garage below me. It was a kid's playland. I was looking for peace and quiet. Internet use was charged, no cell phone reception, and old fashioned bathrooms. This place needs a serious update. I would never return.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple