“Pretty place in the dessert”

Palm Canyon Resort & Spa
Ranked #58 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The resort offers some decent amenities and pretty comfortable rooms. The pool area is pretty great, and has a poolside bar and grille. While I haven't used them, they offer conference rooms and a fitness center for guests. The living units themselves range from small single rooms to pretty generous 2 bedroom suites with a full kitchen and living room. The furniture and decor are pretty outdated, but so is the rest of Palm Springs.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this resort while attending a college baseball tournament over a weekend. My spouse and I booked the 2 bedroom villa which is about 1300 sq ft. We had 3 other family members that were attending the tounament as well but we didn't share the villa due to there only being 1 bathroom. So for just about $45 more per night, we upgraded to the 2 bedroom villa instead of a regular room. So....the location of the resort isn't hard to find but it's not near anything within walking distance so a vehicle is a must. Check in was relatively quick and painless. They do require $100 extra deposit on top of the room charge for 'incidentals'. This is supposed to be refunded after checkout. We were told to go to the concierge desk to get a parking permit and were given this without a hassle. Our other family members (who arrived after us) were presented with the option of attending the timeshare presentation, which they declined without an issue. We were assigned to the Canyon building, first floor, room 4117. This room looked out into the entry driveway and the balcony/patio was directly in front of parking spots. Not too relaxing to look at cars. Anyway, we drove back onto the road to drive under our building to park. There are signs that say vehicles over 5'8" won't fit, but our family members drove their Santa Fe and it fit fine. The parking spots are tight due to large poles holding up the building. We didn't have any trouble parking our compact car. Upon exiting the elevator, we noticed some strange odors. I'm not sure if it was lingering food smells or cleaning products. Either way, the odors weren't pleasant and they changed each time we were in the hallway. The walls were freshly painted but the doors are still a faded pink/purple. Hopefully that will be fixed up very soon. Our villa was very spacious and comfortable. 1 large master bedroom with a sink and vanity, large closet and NO overhead lighting. There are only lamps and a low ceiling. This gave the entire villa a somewhat gloomy feel. The bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom had a jetted tub with shower. The shower head pretty much shot water straight out and it was about 5'5" high so a tall person would need to stoop down to wash their hair. Water sprays onto the floor even with the shower curtain pulled. There were several rolls of TP in the cabinet and many towels in the bedroom cabinet. The lighting in the bathroom isn't good enough for makeup. The vanity in the master bedroom wasn't much better. There is a large round table that seats 6, a sofa bed and 2 chairs. There's also TVs in the living room and both bedrooms. The kitchen has full sized appliances and enough cookware to make simple meals. There's also a coffee pot with 1 packet of coffee. We only used the fridge for beer and water and the microwave to make a late night asian noodle soup. We didn't use the pool but walked around it. Half the pool was roped off with yellow caution tape. At least the side with the slides was open and the kiddies looked like they were having a good time. Cell phone service was hit or miss. Even text messages wouldn't go through sometimes. The walls and floors must be thin. The first night we could hear someone's TV very clearly. The second night there were people running/stomping above us for hours. Overall, the price for what we got was pretty reasonable. No, it's not luxury. No it's not downtown. But it was clean and comfortable and the price was good. I'm sure when it gets remodeled further, the price will go up. We will stay here again when in the area.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'll try to keep this brief, although expletives are desperately seeking exit from my fingertips. Read the other reviews; need updating, cleaning, basic maintenance. The rooms are poorly insulated, so we heard every noise in rooms on each side, and above. The only reason I'm giving this place three dots is because the staff does as good a job as they can to make your stay pleasant. It would be a two or less had it not been for the bartenders at "Splash's", and a couple of other key players. Other than that you can keep this place. We sat through the 1.5 (turned into 2.5) hour Timeshare spiel, as we were truly interested (a relative is a Diamond member). However, between the condition of the resort (although we had been told it was just purchased from Monarch, so had not been "Diamond-ized" yet), and the fact the sales person talked for 2.25 hours and then asked that I pony-up the fees to join on the spot (despite my request to return to my room and run some numbers and return same day). I was told the pricing was only good for a few minutes, and if I didn't buy now, it evaporated. Well let it return to the ether... Never again Diamond Intl - this was like buying a used car.

2  Thank AngusPodgorny1960
Reviewed February 14, 2013

After spending $1600 or so worth of timeshare points to book this resort for one week for two people, it was very worrisome to read the reviews. If you're already booked here, rest at ease that while there is still lots of renovation to be done, many of the rooms are quite pleasant and spacious, if not perfect, and nicely decorated. There is a good variety of planned activities and a great pool area including water aerobics. Selection of TV channels is good.

The staff is VERY nice and friendly, which is lucky because one spends a lot of time calling to ask for things you expect to already have in a timeshare -- sufficient dishwasher detergent, toilet paper, dishes, a corkscrew that works, blind slats that need to be replaced, air conditioning repairs, etc. Internet is outrageously priced -- $3.50 a minute to use the computer in the owner's lounge, high daily rate, and mobile phone hotspot didn't work. We wondered if one of the reasons for making internet access so expensive was so that we would keep going to the concierge to ask for information we'd usually get on line -- so that they had about seven opportunities to ask us to attend a timeshare sales presentation. Even when asked politely, it gets tiring to be asked over and over and over again and not have a simple "No, we're not interested in that," accepted. If you need to go ask a question at the concierge, be sure to allow time for having this same conversation every time.

Management seems to think guests -- who have paid a LOT of money to be there if they are timeshare owners -- should be milked for every possible penny and treated as irresponsible children and cheaters who don't know how to behave. No food or beverages allowed around the pool unless you buy it from them -- even when the snack bar/bar is closed! No in-room laundry, no coffee in the morning or even a cup of cool water when checking in to desert lodging. No food or beverages in the owner's lounge. No extra roll of toilet paper in the bathroom upon check-in or after midweek cleaning. Two packages of dishwasher soap for a week's stay! Yes, they will give you more if you ask, but it requires frequent calls, and gives the impression they're afraid you will abuse and misuse the things you have already paid a lot of money to have access to. I hope Mr. Kloobeck [Diamond Resorts owner who prides himself on making guests happy] gets a clue and does something about this. One can be sympathetic that it takes time to renovate a large number of rooms -- but there are so many 'small' things which could be done right away to make guests feel better about their experience, things which are standard at most timeshares. It's too bad the management doesn't realize how their attitude really affected the way we and others we spoke with felt about staying there.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated or TLC villas and hope for the best; Sunset Building is closest to the...
3  Thank Kathleen J
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This place is way past its prime. Internet service costs $10 per day per device. Two phones, laptop and Ipad $40 a day. Get real. Cell service is so bad that a cellular hot spot wont work. Old TVs with basic cable. poor maintenance ( No burner on the stove will light without the use of a cigarette lighter. We had a great view of a busy road and an empty lot.We traded a great resort in Cabo for this what a rip off.

Room Tip: Choose a better resort
3  Thank Terry M
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a recent competition at the Palm Springs Convention Center. Stayed here because our team received a room block with good rates. I chose the one-bedroom villa. Price was decent at $104/night plus taxes.

Lobby is nice, check-in was seamless. Front desk was personable and helpful. Let me just warn you, though-- You will be required to get a "parking permit" and they send you over to the "concierge" to get it, where you are given your parking permit, but not until you listen to a spiel about buying an additional visit in their "time share" that can be upgraded to other places, etc for an addition $147.00. I politely declined and really wasn't in the mood to listen to all that after a long drive to get there. I was unaware the property we were staying at isn't really a hotel but an older (much older) timeshare, bought recently by Diamond resorts.

Room: The room was decently sized, approximately 600 square feet or so. But VERY dated. Furniture looks to be from the 80's..same with the general decor. Kitchen was small but I used only the refrigerator (full-size) so that was unimportant to me on this visit (2 days only, and we ate out each night.) Appliances are aged looking, stove sat unevenly and rocked. I didn't use the dishwasher. But everything appeared in working order.

Room is quite dark until you turn on nearly every light in the room and then it's fine. Walls are dingy, visible feet marks, dirt, etc. on the doors, door jambs, etc. Nothing gross and completely dirty looking, however, just an overall "shoddy" appearance to the room itself. This is mostly in part due to the aging decor. It's obvious they have tried to cover up some of the dents/dinginess, etc with paint, but again, some of the paint jobs were pretty shoddy. In the end, the room seemed CLEAN...but the carpet was stained in several different areas (looked like possible cigarette burn marks in bathroom area, although hotel is supposedly non-smoking) and so this made the room appear "dirtier" than I think it was.

Bed was comfortable but noisy. They have invested in decent bedding, down comforter, etc. however, then put a loud "plastic" sounding mattress cover on it. (waterproof maybe?) Even my 12 year old complained about the noise. I woke up several times each night simply because the plastic sound woke me up as I turned over.

Bathroom: Lavatory room with very small 5ft jetted tub, which we didn't use and shower, with toilet right next to it. A nice long counter in a sort of "connecting" room with the bedroom, oddly enough it only had one sink at the far end, but the rest was counter space...this worked out fine for what we needed, but it does seem odd that it didn't have two sinks. THERE WAS A LOUD BUZZING NOISE coming from the ceiling/vent area in this room. It wasn't from the lights, my guess is it was from something in their ventilation system. I would have been completely annoyed by this if the bedroom wouldn't have had a door but we were able to close the bedroom door and not hear the incessant buzzing so I didn't call maintenance. It sounded like an old fluorescent lightbulb that is going out, except there are no flourescent bulbs in that room..and the noise continues even after all lights are turned off.

Nice balcony overlooking the pool, with a table/chairs/one lounge chair. I didn't find the noise from the pool annoying, and it closes at 10pm.

Pool: Nice pool area, kids enjoyed an evening swim. Rock waterfall is a nice touch. There is a bar at the pool and a "restarauant" called SPLASH that you can order food from. We ordered room service once from Splash and although it took over an hour to get to our room (busy weekend they said), the small pizza and spinach wrap was decently priced and tasted fine.

Parking: Terrible, unless you have a small car. Facility is very old, so the parking garage is underground under each wing, with only a 6ft. clearance. My SUV was unable to fit in the parking garage and they have approximately 15 spaces around the backside for parking or you can try to find a spot along the back street. I arrived early each day back to the hotel and didn't really leave after arriving simply because I didn't want to lose my spot and have to park down the road, where I worried my vehicle might not have been as safe, never mind the walk to get to it. Parking back there is a pain because you also have to then schlep your suit aces over the grass area and down a curb to get to the walkway towards the hotel. If you have a car, this will be avoided completely. If you have even a regular sized SUV, it clearly has a parking issue.

Overall, this is definitely not my type of hotel and we will not be returning to this particular hotel when we return to Palm Springs next year. But if don't mind an aging hotel, the one bedroom villa was decently sized and would serve it's purpose, if the price was right. We paid $104/night and I felt that was an OK rate for what we got. I'd rather pay more for a higher end experience next time.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the view of the waterfall pool area from our pool facing room. I didn't find the nois...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Tammy B
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spend the MLK weekend at this resort and stayed in a 2 bedroom unit that faced Palm Canyon Dr. which was not noisy at all. Nice view of the mountains and rooms are large. However, the furnishings are VERY old (except for the LG flatscreen tv's). The kitchens are minimally stocked, no cookie sheet, broken coffee maker, spatula that was almost ripped in half at the handle, (doesn't housekeeping check this stuff when they clean/prep the rooms?) only 1 hotpad and 5 knives instead of six. Beds were mushy, pillows were good. Carpet needs to be replaced, as do the furnishings. Lot's of potential, just seems a bit rundown.
Pool area is good, although both the regular and slide/kid pools were shut down each day for 5 hours plus do to inattentive parents not checking child diapers. Was a complete drag for our 10 & 11 yr olds. Grounds look nice and well maintained. A bar and appetizer/lunch menu is convenient and everyone remarked that the food/drinks ordered were good.
Parking was not a problem for us. Our mid-size SUV fit just fine in the underground parking.
A plus for this place is that the Indian Canyon trails start just up the street which was very convenient.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family