“Grand Monarch time share resort”

Palm Canyon Resort & Spa
Ranked #59 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My family has owned a Monarch time share for almost 20 years. It is nice place to stay (especially if you have children under 12) but it is time for major update. We pay maintenance fee every 3 months, fee increases every 3 years but I do not see any difference in interior in 19 years. The furniture looks old and all rooms have "Vintage" TVs that take up space and look weird now.
Most of lampshades are cracked but the lamps are still working...reported them...were replaced with dirty ones!
The pool area still looks great! The spa is small but I like the service. It is great!

Room Tip: Important : Come to the resort as soon as possible, do not wait for check in time. If you are there...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank artistalla

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I went to this location using my exchange with intervalworld. The only complaint I would have is them trying to make me do the 90 min tour. I can go back there using my timeshare why would I want to purchase again?????? The staff was wonderful.....this is a place where I would come back to every two years. Palm Springs is where the rich retires ohhhhh I coming back.

Room Tip: Pool view simply wonderful I enjoyed it to the max.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The pool area is what makes this time share. Nice and relaxing. There is a separate children's pool which is nice. The water is nice and warm with two hot tubs. One is adult-only. The rooms were nice and spacious and the beds were comfy. The furniture and decor seemed a little outdated, but other than that, the room suited our needs. We stayed in a two bedroom and another bathroom would have been great! But now I'm getting picky. We stayed all week and the maids didn't clean mid-week. This was our first time at a time share and right when we checked in, they sent us from the front desk to the concierge to get our parking pass. But before they gave it to us, they immediately tried to set us up an appointment for the next morning to "hear about the updates, etc". This didn't make my husband very happy which was embarrassing for me. Other than that, it was nice. :)

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Happybluebirdsfly
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This would be the exact reason I would not buy a time share, you are stuck with what you get, and they don't really care to give you service because it's already paid for, so it's not like you can get your money back or sell your time share. You get what you get and you can't complain.

Room Tip: The room was not set up in a "normal" way, the bed was so close to the balcony door you co...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2012

On the one hand, the price was right ($72/night with a AAA discount). On the other hand, not much "resort" or "spa"-like at this establishment. The rooms were clean but quite worn (paint was peeling on the front doors of most of the rooms on our floor). The walls/ceilings are thin and noises from other guests were frequent and disturbing. Fortunately, our upstairs "neighbor" checked out after the first of our 2 day stay. The facility is within reasonable driving distance to downtown Palm Springs. Check-in/check-out was efficient. Unfortunately, the place does have a "first apartment after college" feel to it. If you need a basic, inexpensive accommodation for a quick business stay (and the hotel is not booked heavily) this may fit the bill for you. Overall, it is in need of a major upgrade and paint job. Many families on time-share there. If this is what time-share is all about, I'm fortunate to be keeping to myself.

Room Tip: Because of the noise level, try to ask for a room away from other guests.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Bruce B
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Imagine a week's vacation in Palm Springs. Now imagine the place dumps you in their toilet room with a view of a wall, no Internet or cell phone reception, and a kitchen smaller than your bathroom. Yeah, that's Palm Canyon Resort. Best advice, avoid like the plague. No one needs this grief!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Stan_from_San_Jose
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We exchanged our timeshare in Australia for a week at this resort through Interval International. Unfortunately there was little available to us in California at the time we wanted to visit & this resort seemed (on the face of it) to be the pick of the limited few.

Upon arrival we became aware that this resort was part of the Monarch time-share group & before we had even finished checking-in we were ambushed by the Concierge offering us a $50 visa card in return for spending 90 mins with a consultant doing the time-share hard sell. But that's another story!

From the exterior the place looks great, with manicured lawns, modern reception & a fantastic pool area for families...but that's where it ends. We were allocated a 2 bedroom villa on the 3rd floor of the Sunset building facing Sth Canyon Dve. The villa is a good size with plenty of room for a family but the fittings & fixtures were very dated & run-down.

The whole villa smelt very damp & musty the whole time we were in it, almost unbearable until your nose adjusted to it.

A/C is required 24/7 & it's a very old & NOISY system, the background noise is distracting at all times & is terrible to sleep with.

Beds are too soft, not even a mid-range firm but squishy soft which is shocking for the back. The plastic mattress protectors make the bed noisy & hot to sleep on. As bad as the old sagging steel framed beds & plastic covered foam mattresses I had too sleep on in my Army days.

Cupboard doors & drawers on furniture & built-ins throughout the villa are de-laminating, the chipboard is swelling & some barely close, the kitchen is particularly bad & dated.

Lighting is atrocious, there are no ceiling lights in the bedrooms or lounge area, just dull table lamps with bent shades, impossible to read by & there is no uniform switching arrangement between them. There are light switches on walls that don't actually operate anything.

The shower over bath arrangements are old, they leak & are difficult to use with children. Anybody that may have limited lower limb mobility such as the elderly or, in my case, a prosthetic implant, will find it very awkward. Deep baths & no rails is an accident waiting to happen. I dared not use the spa in the bath for fear of what might come out of it!

Paint on bathroom walls was blistering everywhere & touch-ups were a different colour. The exhaust fan was scary, the noise it made was deafening. The skirting boards in the bathroom finished 4 inches from the bath on both sides & the kick panel on the front of the bath moved when it was touched, obviously a previous reno not quite finished-off correctly.

Small old style analogue TV's sit in oversized cabinets in both bedrooms & after watching modern flat screened TV's in more recent years, I found the picture & sound quality on these units to be very ordinary.

The kitchenware, crockery & cutelry is in awful condition, once again very old & used & in need of replacement. I could go on but I'm sure you've got an impression already.

The staff at the resort are polite & helpful, the common areas are clean & well maintained, as are the swimming pools. The whole outdoor pool enclosure is a safe & secure environment for children & in my opinion is the greatest asset of the resort...water slides, lifeguards, security gates etc. The common areas weren't congested at the time we were staying, however this was probably due to the fact that one of the accommodation wings was closed for renovation which meant less guests anyhow.

The AT&T wireless Internet charge was expensive with rates starting at $5 per hour for below par performance, an average 2 out of 5 bars most of the time. The so-called business centre is a bit lite-on, simply being a small desk in the corner of the guests lounge with a pay as you go computer with printer attached.

The gym is a good size & contains mostly modern equipment & is surprisingly free for guests to use ;-)

Unfortunately the room standard lets this resort down big time & is a long way from being rectified anytime soon. I can't say that our stay was very restful at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family