“Wonderful time!”

Palm Canyon Resort & Spa
Ranked #58 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We booked a last-minute stay for three nights at this resort, and had a wonderful time. My 11 year old and 15 year old were a little big for the waterslides, and only used them for an hour or so. There were lots of other things for them to do, however. There is a poolside ping-pong table in the shade, a really nice indoor basketball court, pool tables a weight room, large pool and two spas (one in a grotto under a waterfall). My husband and I relaxed by the pool and had our evening Mai Tai's at the friendly poolside bar. The atomosphere by the pool is very fun and family oriented.

The check-out is early (10:00am) and we got the extra 1/2 hour when we asked. We went to the outlets...3 days in the sun was enough for us. We also went horseback riding down the street at the stables. Lots of fun. My only complaint about the hotel itself was that the landscapers get to work at 5am and the rolling up of the hose was loud enough to wake my husband and I from a deep sleep.

Downtown Palm Springs is about 2 miles away, and we had great dinners at the Chop House on the main strip, the Fisherman's Market, which is one block away from the main strip, and Jackalope, which is in Indian Wells and worth the drive. On Thursday evenings, the main street is blocked off from traffic and there is a wonderful street fair. Don't miss it!

1  Thank CALIFjeremy

Reviewed April 27, 2011

I came with 2 girlfriends and our kids for spring break. We arrived early and used the pool facility which was great! The kids loved the slides and I felt safe for them to play in the shallow water. I walked over to take pics of the boys sliding down the slide. My son hesitated at the top I thought he was making sure I was ready so I waved him down. Boy, did I make a mistake!! The sergeant like lifeguard scolded me and said "YOU are not supposed to tell him to come down, I AM" I apologized and said I didn't realize that. Instead of recognizing it was a simple mistake he continued to scold me and told me I was going to cause an accident. Really?!?! I apologized and it was a little mistake, nothing happened and nobody was close to getting hurt. The other lifeguards were very friendly and did a great job keeping the kids safe, but joked around at the same time.

The pool area is a definite plus, the bar and grill was great too!! The food was delicious and prices reasonable. They serve a great breakfast and the pizza yummy. It's their best asset. The kids also enjoyed the indoor basketball court and lounge area with 2 pool tables. The women's bathroom in the pool area had 2 stalls. One would only open partially because the door hits the toilet and won't open past it. The lock on it was also broken.

We had a studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom villa so we saw each floor plan. The rooms are nice, by the AC leaked in the studio and they had to move. The 2 bedroom smelled like stale smoke really bad.

The parking structure is so old it won't accommodate SUVs so we had to park in the street behind the hotel. Not the best location for us to walk to at night or for the cars! The kids said they were scared to walk through there.

The front desk made a big deal when we checked in about there being a certain number of green beach towels in the room and how that same number of green beach towels needed to be in the room when we checked out or we would be charged $25 each towel. We were paranoid the whole time making sure the kids had their towels and keeping an eye on them by the pool so nobody would take them. Since checkout was so early, we packed up the car, got the kids dressed in their suits and planned on hanging out by the pool and have lunch at the bar and grill. We asked for towels to use during checkout and were told we absolutely could not use the facility anymore as it is ONLY for OWNERS. We told them we had planned on having lunch and spending some time there before driving home and were told NO!! I called and asked to speak with the manager and was told I would be put to his voice mail. I told Will I needed to speak to a live person and explained the situtation to him. I told him nowhere on their website, during reservations or check in were we told of this policy. He tried to blame it on the internet and say well......you made your reservations online.......I told him no, I did it over the phone with a live person!! He wouldn't budge and said they would do better informing guests in the future. Basically, you've paid, you're done, we're not accommodating you so l'm telling you something to make you go away so scram!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank califdreamin88
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This place was just the right place for us. The room was clean and comfortable and the beds were just fine. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was located just far enough from town but not too far. It took us about 10 minutes to get to downtown Palm Springs. We loved the pool and the pool bar. It made us feel like we were on a real vacation! We would stay here again without hesitation.

Reviewed April 18, 2011

This place is a timeshare- not an actual hotel. The Palm Canyon Resort and Spa markets itself as a hotel, but since it is a timeshare expect to be treated like a 2nd class citizen if you're there as a hotel guest. We checked in on a Friday night and planned to have a nice, relaxing weekend laying out by the pool. Saturday we had a nice time laying out by the pool and drinking margaritas and also got great massages at the spa. On Sunday morning, I called to see about a late checkout. I was told that checkout was at 10:00 am, but that we could get a late checkout for 10:30 am. I thought that was ridiculously early, but said okay. Then I remembered that the front desk had made a big deal when we checked in about there being a certain number of green beach towels in the room and how that same number of green beach towels needed to be in the room when we checked out. I called the front desk and said that we would like to use the pool and asked if we should then turn in the green beach towels to the front desk. I was told no, that all green beach towels must be left in the room and that we weren't allowed to use the pool after checkout. I was told that the property was a timeshare, not a hotel and that only owners had pool privileges after checkout. I asked to speak to the manager and was told the same thing. I explained that we had no idea that the place was a timeshare (since it operates as a hotel) and that we wouldn't be granted access to the pool after checking out. We would have tried just laying out at the pool without towels, but there is a lady that patrols the pool and we didn't want to have to possibly deal with her. When we checked out at 10:30, we were told the same thing over and over again. We explained that we had no idea it was a timeshare and that we had planned our whole weekend around lounging poolside both days. We also told the front desk that we had spent a lot of money at the spa and the pool bar the day before and had planned on ordering breakfast and lunch poolside that day and didn't appreciate being treated so horribly. The front desk just kept repeating their policy and apologizing. Honestly, I have never had such an awful experience at a hotel before.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank AmyRak
Reviewed April 17, 2011

It's odd....we've stayed here mulitple times and have always had nice clean rooms and great service. Not sure what other reviewers saw...hard to believe that much different in rooms.
We've stayed in a junior villa and it was fine...but this time and usually we stay in a one bedroom. The beds are comfortable...the couch in the living room is not.
The kitchen is a nice size...staff is great.
I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Sum up: Stay here if you want a standard quality hotel at a good price with great water slides and good/convenient pool side bar and grill. This is not a 4 star but was 5 star in my kids eyes and that's what makes me happy and will bring us back :)

We spent 4 nights in a 1 bedroom and got a good rate calling up the resort itself. It's older but our room was in good shape. We had a room in the south building, 2nd floor facing the mountains (2226), street was there but not busy and great sitting on the patio drinking coffee in the morning looking at the mountains :). Also there was a palm tree in front of us that made it more private. The bed was great (huge plus!), kitchen was a nice size for making our breakfasts and lunches, kids were very happy on the hidabed with their own TV. The studio would have been too small. All the buildings are close to the pool, my kids LOVED the water slides, this is why we stayed here. There's a bigger kind of crazy one and a small one for little kids. Open till 5 but pool is till 10 I think. We went to the water park which was cold, water isn't heated, and the kids begged us to go back to our hotel pool. Liked the towel system, we had 6 big green beach towels in the room and just traded them in for fresh between 9 and 5 by the pool. Also had lunch from the grill/bar by the pool, so nice and convenient. The drinks were good, not watered down like you'd expect (very nice bartenders). Recommend going down first thing in the morning to save a chair otherwise you'll have to wait till one opens up. Make sure you use 70 spf/and or rash guards. We're from Seattle and learned our lesson quickly! 40 spf wasn't enough!! Kids had a BLAST!!! Also fun playing ping pong.

Outside of the resort had a great Hummer San Andreas fault tour with kids (lead by a geologist/school teacher) and fun great dinning experiences at Kobe (Japanese hibatchi) with the kids (beautiful koi pond and you can buy fish food, kids loved that) and date night sans kids at Tropical. Tropical has fun tropical drinks, the BEST ginger lemon mojito!! and great food, liked the pupu platter and awesome seared ahi!! Nice private patio in the back for fun outdoor seating. Then went across the street to the casino. We used the sitters recommended by the resort and worked out great! Sitters were not cheap but worth it.

Room Tip: We requested upper floor facing mountain.
2  Thank alitak
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My room was awful. Not enough amenities like soap! I booked this on the website and when I clicked junior villa it showed a picture of a bedroom and a separate living room with a couch. The description also said "separate" dining area making me think that I was booking a room with two separate rooms. I asked to upgrade and was told nothing was available call back in the morning, again nothing was available.The room was small and cramped and there was so much noise in the hallways in the morning it was ridiculous. The doors are heavy and are very loud when slammed shut. T
In addition, someone was smoking weed all night and day and the hallway reeked of it and of cigarette smoke too . Which was coming through the ventilation system when I had the AC on. It was horrible, I do not expect to be around drugs in a resort or hotel, unacceptable. Also, I feel the website greatly mislead me and the price I paid was not worth the price of $152.00 per night, a total rip off. The room was worth maybe 60.00 bucks.
I think this was one of the worst experiences ever in a hotel, excuse me "timeshare" if I knew It was a timeshare resort I would not have booked it. Oh and to top it Off someone called at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday to let me know about the pancake breakfast, WTF!!!! Luckily I am a skilled traveler and I took the phone off the hook for the night, otherwise there would have been hell to pay. I DO NOT like being woken up early on vacation. I will never stay here again and I DO NOT recommend it. This place is a dump and the only thing going for it is the pool which is why I gave it one star. Don't waste your money here, there are many better places to stay in Palm Springs.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends