“A hidden gem for vegetarians and meat eaters alike!”
Review of Native Foods

Native Foods
Ranked #20 of 347 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This "vegetarian" cafe is a dream for vegans. All my meat eating friends couldn't get enough of the creative and fresh options.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I first ate at Native Foods Café, Palm Springs, CA a few weeks ago. I was excited to try the restaurant because I’d heard good things about the food. The first visit I wanted to order the Indo Noodle Salad, but the counter person said they were out of the peanut-chili dressing and were not serving it. I had the Ensalada Azteca Salad instead. It was absolutely delicious, fresh, crisp, and beyond my expectation. I couldn’t wait to come back.

Last evening we went back for our second visit. I ordered the Indo Noodle Salad. It was disappointing. Although the salad dressing was tasty the rest of the salad was a letdown. The salad was bland and very ordinary. A salad from McDonalds would have been just as fresh and tastier at less than half the price.

We did have a large order of sweet potato fries. They were good and crispy.

If I had had the Indo Noodle Salad on my first time to Native Foods Café I probably wouldn’t have thought much about returning for a second time. I heard this restaurant was much better before the founder sold it.

With so many good casual restaurants in Palm Springs I will have to be coerced to return to Native Foods Café.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

If your goal to eat healthy is being thwarted by limited menu selections and you're tiring of platefuls of raw veggies, take heart - there is a health food restaurant chain that serves vegan and vegetarian meals so tasty you will find yourself coming back day after day and wondering why these restaurants aren't everywhere. Native Foods (in Palm Springs and a dozen or so other locations in CA and OR) has an extensive menu of salads, bowls, plates and sandwiches unlike anything I've run across elsewhere. Big bonus: healthy drinks and desserts that make your meal sompletely satisfying.

One of the keys to Native Foods success, in my mind, is their use of healthy meat substitutes that taste so much like the real thing you really forget that they're not. Their meatball sandwich, for example, is as good as any you'll find in local Italian delis - but it's healthy! Ditto for the burrgers. The small green salad, w/Native Foods special dressing, is my favorite salad anywhere - and the soups of the day (African peanut soup, for example) are just excellent.

The restaurant is a bit casual - you order at the counter, take a number, and your food is brought to your table. Servers are helpful and willingly fetch drink refills and answer questions about ingredients. A Native Foods cookbook is available for purchase which offers receipes for many (all?) of the dishes you can order in the restaurant. Most of the lunches I ordered were in the $10 range - more w/dessert (which is hard to pass up). This place is a real find! It's busy and I hope they expand to my town soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great place for lunch. Place your order at the counter then someone brings your selection. Very different items on menu and we ordered the bowls and had leftovers to bring home. Both were very different and very tasty. A good place to bring visitors who have special dietary needs. Will return

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Its often hard to find decent vegetarian or vegan food, but Native caters to this croud. Lots of options and although I would like more spice or herbs to flavor the food, we had good meals. It is crowded at the main times, but that is a good sign, so come a little early for faster service. You have to stand in line to order, so it has a bit of a cafeteria feel, and relaxed atmosphere. Good food, decent prices. Desert menu leaves a little to be desired, so we went elsewhere for that.