“Just OK food, between the dry cleaners & Time Warner Cable”

Nicolino's Palm Spring
Ranked #204 of 319 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Oceanside, California
“Just OK food, between the dry cleaners & Time Warner Cable”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Not good, but just OK.
Stopped in to this almost anonymous strip mall location for dinner on 3/4/13. I had the veal picata which was good, but only 2 thin medallions, although the sauce was good. Served with a really small bowl of pasta in red sauce. Companion had the shrimp alfredo diablo which was good. Ordered a chardonnay which was also very good. The atmosphere is pretty downscale and the prices are a bit expensive for what you get, portion wise. Service was nothing special.

Two huge gripes is that smokers were coming out of their bar area into the outdoor seating area right at the entrance and the smoke was coming into the restaurant, so the place smelled like an ashtray...but then, as others have even stated, the decor and atmosphere is generally run down. My second gripe is that I had some sticky substance all over the back tail of my polo shirt when I got home. Maybe that is a reason they are next door to the dry cleaners.

I suppose this lack of cleanliness is probably acceptable(?) if the restaurant is charging Pizza Hut prices, but not at these price points. I don't think that I will be coming back, (given the nasty seating areas) because I have to wonder what other short-cuts exist that I cannot see in the kitchen.

• Visited March 2013

Palm Springs, California
“Great Italian food!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nicolino's is one of those great restaurants where you can always go and find really good, reasonably-priced food, in this case Italian. The atmosphere is quiet, the wait staff extremly friendly and the food selection is varied. While there are the usual Italian dishes one would expect, there are also some that are out of the ordinary. I love coming here for really satisfying food with great sauces and perfectly cooked pasta.

• Visited January 2013
“It's All About The Food”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

When I come from the UK to visit my parents in Palm Springs, a visit to Nicolino's for a pizza will be in the cards.

The decor is a bit outdated but warm.

You always know you are being served by the owner or their family.

The pricing is fair.

Have the pizza. You will not be disappointed.

Palm Springs, California
“Affordable, near the airport but luck of the draw”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We decided to try this restaurant because a friend recommended it. The outdoor seating is adjacent to the parking lot so we decided to eat indoors. We were promptly seated by the hostess/server. The restaurant is small but I liked the decor. The vinyl upholstery is in sad shape though. The menu is simple and not overwhelming. My companion ordered lasagna and I chose a personal pizza which came with a salad as well. I also ordered the house chianti. The chianti turned out to be delicious and very well priced. But the service was very very slow. Finally we were served some fresh garlic bread that was absolutely delicious, quite worth the wait! And then my salad and my companion's lasagna arrived. It took a bit longer for my pizza. The salad was a surprise! As a side salad I didn't expect much but this had black olives and shredded cheese in abundance. I enjoyed it very much. When the pizza finally came out, I tried a slice and to my dismay, it was very under done. Not edible. It also had an overload of black olives that had an off flavor. When the server came to check on us I quietly told her the pizza wasn't done enough. She apologized profusely and said she would not charge me for my pizza at all! She explained there was a new pizza maker in the kitchen. I did take the pizza home and grilled it in olive oil but it was forgettable for texture and flavor. My companion loved his lasagna and thought the portion size was just right. I would return just to have a glass of the wonderful chianti and a basket of the garlic bread, yum!

• Visited November 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Almost Inedible”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

At the bar. Service was good, atmosphere friendly.

Ordered pasta and chicken with spinach and a cream sause--"florentino," they called it or florentine.

The noodles were mushy.
The chicken fine if the pieces could have been extracted from the sauce.
And the sauce was so repulsive it was hard to swallow, which i shortly stopped trying to do.

Don't go there.