“Awful, awful, awful”

China King Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #162 of 329 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I can't imagine a restaurant having worse food than the China King. I am shaking my head in confusion at the wonderful reviews written about this place. The service is deplorable, the building looks like a really old school cafeteria, the food is.....there just are no words. It was like they poured the food out of a can and heated it in the microwave. The "fried" rice was mush, I am sure it was not made fresh. Egg foo yung was unrecognizable and the gravy was absolutely from a can. Canned mushrooms in the veggies. No tea is offered, no greeting when you come in the door....the lady just pointed to a table and yelled "sit". Horrible, horrible, horrible. I am a vegetarian and I would eat a Big Mac before I would go back to this place. My advice is to STAY AWAY!!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is not fine dining, if your looking for a Michelin Star look elsewhere. The food is prepared fresh and quickly and is inexpensive. The presentation is plain but economical. Chinese Restaurants come and go in the desert, but this has lasted a longer than just about everyone else.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I live in Palm springs and I tried this restaurant twice. Although, they give huge portions, I wouldn't feed this food to a starving dog. It's absolutely tasteless and horrible. And the restaurant looks like a homeless shelter's dinning room!!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Before going to palm springs, I read about this restaurant on trip advisor. I knew that this was a no frills but good chinese food place. I ordered take out from here one day. The service was fast, and rates were very reasonable compared to the expensive food on Palm Canyon drive. When I brought food back to the hotel, we were so suprised with the good quality and quantity of the food. Their Fried rice, chicken chow mein and Szechuan chicken were the best. I wish I could eat again from that restaurant. I definitely recommend eating from this restaurant but do not expect any pomp and show. If you want good chinese food in Palm Springs, this is the place to go to.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Well we really wanted Asian food while in Palm Springs, but two of the highly rated restaurants were closed on a Monday evening so we just drove around downtown. We found one place where we couldn't tell if they were open or closed and actually parked out front for a few minutes to see if anyone had gone in. After deciding that there wasn't enough traffic, we drove off in search for another place. We found China King Chinese Restaurant and read the mixed reviews and although it looked kind of sketchy on the outside, we opted to go in. There was one review that actually said that it looked like a hole in the wall but was glad she ate there so we gave it a try. On the outside, it didn't look very appealing. They need to do a little sprucing up on the outside and on the inside. Once inside, it's a pretty humble place. About twelve tables from the 1960's style. Very simple and plain. Not much decoration. If it weren't for the employees, you'd probably never know it was a Chinese restaurant. We were quickly seated and we ordered Family style. Mongolian Beef, Orange Chicken, Soup, Brocoli and Beef, and Chinese Vegetables over Dry Noodles. We didn't have to wait long as the food arrived within a few minutes and was very tasty. Not bad really. The Mongolian Beef was the best of all the dishes we ordered.