“great lunch spot”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Just realized this place has been here for 17 years. We gave it a try twice this week and loved it both times. Not fancy at all, very authentic and excellent food. Friendly servers and owner.
We will be back again.

1  Thank miroterzic
There are newer reviews for Taqueria Tlaquepaque

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Tlaquepaque is located off the beaten track on Sunny Dunes Road in an unassuming strip of shops. Ace Hardware used to be next door. This has always been a hangout for locals with very few tourists stopping in. When I first started going there I was one of the few English speaking customers, but it has changed in the last 5 years as word of their wonderful home made food has gotten out there. The fantastic Juke Box still plays a crazy variety of popular Spanish and Mexican songs.

I discovered their Camarones al Ajillo (Shrimp with garlic) years ago and have almost exclusively stuck to this like a one trick pony sometimes going there three times a week to order the same dish. I have also tried their whole fried fish which is also delicious. My friends have ordered things all over the menu and have always been satisfied.

The main reason I give 5 stars is because of their ability to make a Chavelas like nobody else. (Some call it a Michelada) I have repeatedly tried to recreate their Chavelas at home, to no avail. Essentially this is a drink that combines beer and Clamato (clam flavoured tomato juice) with a touch of salt around the rim of the glass. I have ordered this drink at many other Mexican restaurants and have been as dissatisfied with those as with my home-made ones, since the Chavelas at Tlaquepaque is quite different. I was starting to suspect that there was a secret ingredient in theirs. I asked the waitress one day why my home-made ones were always a failure lacking the complexity of their Chavelas, and was given a surprising answer: Tlaquepaque's Chavelas does have a secret ingredient and that ingredient is believe it or not shrimp juice. They use the left over water from boiling tons of shrimp to add a bottom note to the drink. There is no way I am going to boil the 30 or so pounds of shrimp that they go through a day at home, so I guess I'm left to having to go there exclusively to get my fix!!!

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Ate here after reading all the reviews which were spot on. A family run place that has all the locals coming. The food is very good at a fraction of the price of the fancier tex-mex places. The family running the place seem to enjoy serving - very quick and anxious to please.

if you're expecting anything fancy or if the Mexican music from the juke box might bother you, don't come here. If you want authentic, reasonably priced food in a friendly atmosphere, this is the place to come.

Almost forgot, they serve monster sized margaritas for next to nothing. You're hard pressed to spend $30 for two including margaritas and more food than you can put away.

We ate here twice during a four day visit to Palm Springs.

1  Thank Dogswood
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Read reviews on this site and went immediately after unpacking from a long day of flying. This is the closest restaurant to my accommodation in PS so I was motivated by fatigue. Other reviewers here are exactly right about this spot. The facility is very sparse in decor BUT the chicken fajitas were excellent. The volume of the serving was very large and all the usual side dishes were on hand and tasty. With the encouragement of a Grand margarita I was able to consume the whole works for a grand total of $20 including tip. If you don't care for the stereotypical Mexican band weaving through your restaurant or all staff in costume but do care for good food then you will enjoy this place.

1  Thank qwertVictoria
Reviewed March 31, 2012

They had great food at very reasonable prices. I went based on the reviews that I read. Not a fancy place but much better food than the Mexican places downtown by far. Everything was very fresh and service was friendly. No wait at 5pm Saturday night. I didn't have one but their margaritas looked great. Their chips and salsa were fantastic. We will definitely go back the next time we are in town.

1  Thank BBGraber