“Wonderful food, excellent service.”
Review of El Salvador Cafe

El Salvador Cafe
Ranked #187 of 319 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: Salvadoran
Brooklyn, New York
“Wonderful food, excellent service.”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We had the El Salvador cafe cater our wedding in Palm Springs around the Christmas holidays. Not only was it a pleasure to work with them on the menu which was wildly affordable compared to most catering services, our guests, many of whom are Salvadoran or live in Salvadoran communities said it was some of the best food they've ever had. The restaurant was able to modify recipes for some of our vegan and vegetarian guests and we had a wide variety of options from appetizers, to pupusas to tamales to chicharon. I can't wait to go back to Palm Springs to have another wonderful meal at the El Salvador cafe.

• Visited December 2012

Palm Springs, California
“Friendly family run restaurant.”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Great food at very reasonable prices. Friendly service. Ask for help with the menu.

North Carolina
“Always visit when I go to California”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

The first time I ate at this restaurant was back in the 90s when I was little. Now that I moved to the east coast, I never miss a chance to eat at El Salvador Cafe. It is a small restaurant with basic decoration but the food is amazing. They have the best and biggest pupusas outside El Salvador. I always ask for Lizzy, she is the best! She knows exactly what I like and always has great suggestions. Besides pupusas, you must try the empanadas and a glass of horchata.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank Marilyn E
San Diego, California
“Nice, family-run restaurant with excellent food at a good price”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My boyfriend and stopped here during our visit to Palm Springs in March. It's inside a strip mall and the decor is pretty basic, but the food is delicious. We stopped here again when we were back in Palm Springs in June.

We like to check out different cuisines and this is the first Salvadoran restaurant we'd ever seen, so we decided to give it a try. It appears that this restaurant is run by a family. Our server was the daughter, I think. She was wearing a Beatle shirt, and I'm a Beatles fan so we sort of bonded! We had a lot of questions about the items on the menu and how the food was prepared and she was very knowledgable. My boyfriend ordered the pescaditos platter, which turned out to be a bit much for even his adventurous tastes (and he was actually warned by the daughter that he might not care for it. There were a LOT of tiny fish that reminded me of anchovies heaped on yucca root -- one thing I must say is that the servings are VERY GENEROUS), but my chicken dish was superb, the sauce was scrumptious and the chicken was tender. I'm sure the pescaditos were delicious if you like eating a lot of little tiny fish! Even though the pescaditos were a bit much for my boyfriend, the yucca root that came with it was wonderfully prepared.

We went back in June and ordered the sopas, which were yummy. The daughter remembered us. We were impressed.

They serve generous portions and the service is family-like and friendly. We saw some of the same customers there on both of our visits. The pricing is modest.

If you are looking for cuisine that is from South of the Border that is different from the usual Mexican fare, try this place. You will like it.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank RedDwarfSr
Moreno Valley CA
“Great Local El Salvadorian cusine”
Reviewed May 2, 2009

The pupusa's where freshly made, crispy on the outside delicious and flavorful on the inside. The salad that is served with I think it's called "curtido" was delicious and super fresh ;) A great inexpensive place for lunch or dinner.

A cute little hole in the wall restaurant, nothing fancy but the food was good ;)