“Wonderful food in a laid back desert setting.”
Review of Johannes

Johannes
Reserve with OpenTable
Johannes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 343 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: Austrian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Arenas
Transit: Located on Indian Canyon Drive close to the restaurant.
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We went there during Restaurant Week and were happy we did. It was busy so we wound up sitting in the bar area but the table was quiet and spacious. The service was excellent, the servers knew just when to appear to clear a plate or serve the next course.
The food was wonderful, all very fresh and beautifully presented. The cost was reasonable, partly because we ate from the special Restaurant Week Menu but the regular menu was also well priced.
The restaurant is located in downtown Palm Springs, right on the main street, so an after dinner stroll is easy to do.
We loved this place and I definitely will go back the next time I am in Palm Springs!

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We visit Johannes often and always enjoy every dish we have ever been served. The veal or organic chicken schnitzel is the real thing. Austrian style schnitzel is served with the proper accompaniments- cucumber salad, cranberries, roasted potatoes just like in Europe. The brussel sprout salad is yummy with delicate baby leaves, fresh parmesan in a lemony light dressing. sometimes you have to ask for it since it is not on the menu. The curry is excellent as is the fish, duck, scallops, and grass fed beef -- in fact all the dishes are prepared just right, and the menu is varied enough that there is something for everyone. Bary is our favorite server !

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Cannot comment about the food since the 2 times we have tried to go to this restaurant, we have not been able to make it in. The first time Johannes was all booked up - bad on us. The second time we made reservations, when we got there the restaurant was closed - bad on them. I do understand that there are occasions that for some unexpected reason, a restaurant would have to close but it would have been nice for them to call, text or email us before we did the 40 minute drive.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Server stated specials but forgot to mention there was shrimp surrounding the grilled swordfish. While I am not allergic to shellfish, I don't have an acquired taste for it. Being with guest of 2 others, I decided not to send it back, pushed the shrimp to the side and dealt with it. Over the past few years I have had to eat at this restaurant due to others' wishes. I can't say I have ever had a meal here worth talking about. That said, service was a good and we finally had to eat in the front room with a view of the mountain. I would never choose to visit this restaurant again if it is left up to me.

1  Thank Great2TravelCA
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We've eaten several times at Johannes when visiting Palm Springs, and have been very pleased with the food; the kitchen is definitely one of the best in Palm Springs. On our last visit we both had the duck, which was prepared perfectly and served with red cabbage (one of my favorites that you don't get very often) and bread dumplings and served with a wild blueberry sauce -- delicious. Also tried the profiteroles, which were great.

We were in the front dining room and had a great table with mountain views, which are beautiful. (Some other locations may be a bit noisier.) Johannes is pricey, but definitely worth a visit on a special occasion.