“The Best in the Palm Springs Area”
Review of Le Vallauris

Le Vallauris
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Vallauris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 337 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Palm Canyon Road
Description: Established in the heart of Palm Springs since 1973, Le Vallauris located at the foot of San Jacinto Mountains has been the highest rated restaurant in the Palm Springs Valley since its inception. Owned and operated by the well known restaurateur Paul Bruggemans who was also owner of the Famous Le St Germain restaurant in Hollywood. The Historic Landmark was built in 1927 and was owned by the owners of the famous Desert Inn which was The hotel in the Valley. Many grand parties were held in the house for guests such as Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong and many more. It was a favorite place for General Patton when he was based in Palm Springs to stage the Battle of the Bulge during World War II. Later on, when the restaurant was established it became a favorite place for Presidents and the Hollywood elite. The renowned Patio lined with Giant Fichus trees is THE place to dine. The Patio is cooled in the Summer and heated in the Winter.
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We come here about once a year, whenever we are in Palm Springs-and it is first rate. The owner is always there. How nice it is to have him visiting every table and really seeming to be interested in what you have to say. Of course, the outdoor setting remains beautiful. The staff is helpful and professional and the food is delicious! We don't seem to have many excellent French restaurants any more. Highly recommended!

2  Thank mflickermd
Le V, Owner at Le Vallauris, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Thank you for your review, you do have good taste and hope to see you soon,

Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

The food, service and decor are absolutely elegant. This is a classic Palm Springs experience with a piano lounge, beautiful and comfortable intimate indoor dining rooms, as well as a lovely outside patio. While most people chose the patio dining, on a warm night definitely think about eating indoors, which is also quieter and more comfortable. The portions are very generous, and I had an amazing asparagus starter while our friends had a pate they loved, and my wife's ahi appetizer was fantastic with a nice hint of spice. The three other adults all had the ribeyes, which were beautifully prepared and of exceptional quality. I had the best rack of lamb that I could ever remember, and it was perfectly prepared so that it literally melted in your mouth.

1  Thank DavidMarino
Le V, Owner at Le Vallauris, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you Mr Marino for your glowing review, do visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

My three girlfriends and I just had the pleasure of dining here for the first time. We actually arrived before it opened but were invited to wait in the bar/lounge area and enjoy some cocktails which we all agreed were absolutely delicious. We were soon seated in the outdoor patio where we enjoyed an amazing meal. We all ordered something different but sampled each other's dishes. Every single dish we had was excellent. The ambiance was very nice and what was especially charming was the owner, Paul, who stopped by each table to check on how our meal and experience was. We can't wait to visit Le Vallauris again the next time we are in Palm Springs.

1  Thank Calgal98
Le V, Owner at Le Vallauris, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you dear Ladies for your review, happy to learn that you had a good time. We are looking forward to your future visit.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

We have been here twice, both times with a group of 6 adults, and both times we had an amazing dinner! The service is top notch, and the crowd is sprinkled with celebrities. The food is delicious and beautifully presented. We had the 7 course(?) dinner and almost every dish topped the one before. Great wine selection as well. Everyone in both of our groups had nothing but praise for this restaurant.

1  Thank 425Mom
Le V, Owner at Le Vallauris, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Thank you for your kind review, I hope you will keep your good habits and come and see us upon your next stay in Palm Springs.

Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Le Vallauris is a Palm Springs institution, just a couple of blocks west of the "main drag", located in what decades ago was probably a private home. The main attraction is the outdoor seating area, made very romantic with strings of round bulbs illuminating a lovely, widely branching tree. I'd tell you what kind of tree except we didn't make the (exclusive) cut to join the outdoor diners.
A valet parks one's car as one enters a few steps into the restaurant. The Host (wearing a tux) greets you. He asked us if we'd like to eat inside or out. I said outside would be nice at which point he interrupted me to say, after consulting his reservation book, "oh, you booked through Open Table?" Yes, we say. "This way then." And we were whisked away into the back corner of the (interior) of the restaurant. A large menu board on an easel was propped in front of us; it's such a simple system that our waiter seemed unsure of what was on the menu, unless he looked at it, too.
This board was so tall and wide, and was parked in front of us for so long that it was impossible to see around it to have a view of what else was happening in the restaurant. Except I was able to see the entry and immediately figured out that those gentlemen wearing at least a sport coat or suit were those seated outside...virtually everyone in OUR dining room was wearing a casual shirt of the "wine country" or "Tommy Bahama"
ilk. I was quite miffed at the
snootiness of it all. I could write a book about this place but at least now you'll know to wear a jacket to get the best seating. We ordered a "modestly" price wine $115 which was very nice. The big score for me was my rack of lamb... Five (!) nice sized ribs of possibly the most tender lamb I've ever had. I love lamb and eat it often at home and in restaurants and this was something SPECIAL.
Service was what I would describe as hauty efficiency... Absolutely no personal interaction other than a silent presentation of each course with minions bringing bread and water to the table. They left us so alone, we had to pour our own wine which I thought extremely odd.
I've enjoyed fine dining all over the world and in a very few occasions have felt snubbed... So unnecessary. Would I return? I think I might be able to find a better way to spend my husband's $400 (dinner for two). P.S. I may be prejudiced... Whether it was just too rich or something was spoiled, I spent from 3am to 5am in the bathroom, losing all that expensive food I'd eaten.

3  Thank 1savoy
Le V, Owner at Le Vallauris, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

You most probably did not request the patio which had nothing to do with open table. The advantage of booking with open table is twofold, you get credit and we can see on the screen what the requests are.
So because of you being seated inside, nothing that we did would have been correct:the wine, the menu board, " the minions". Usually all my patrons from Portland are kind and appreciative, well we cannot win them all.
As you are so verbose in your review why not have told me about your distress when I came over to the table, as I do every night for the past 40 years, the problem would have been solved, but that would have been a positive point that you were not about to mention.
Proprietor