“Not really fine dining, but worth the visit”

Melvyn's Restaurant & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Melvyn's Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 347 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Located on the premises of the legendary Ingleside Inn, Melvyn’s is elegantly upbeat and the home of authentic Hollywood glamour. Indulge in signature classics like Steak Diane and Steak au Poivre cooked tableside, along with a classic spinach salad tossed right in front of you. The Casablanca Lounge at Melvyn’s is known for its nightly entertainment and the popular Sunday Night Jam Session (3:30 - 7:30pm) featuring guest musicians and singers. Please note - the bar is open from 11am - midnight, and on some occasions until 2am depending on the season.
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Eating out for us is an experience on many levels. Not just food, but the vibe of the room and experience make an evening enjoyable or not. This is an old school classic. You have to come here, even for some cocktails and step back in time when places like this were part of pop culture in the area. Our waiter was pleasant, effective and spent time with us on a busy night to answer some historic questions with patience.. He liked talking about it. Frank Sinatra would have sent the steak I ate back, and hopefully it was a bigger and better cut of meat. My wife's fish was vey good however, so the advice from me is to stay away from the New York Strip. They were preparing steak Diane at tables and that looked inviting. A lobster cocktail was very nice a well.
It's a dark and quiet...yet spirited...environment. I liked the experience and will be back. It's not a steakhouse, it's an old school spot with a varied menu. It's also not expensive in the big picture. You'd pay more for entrees in the area...I have already. Wine very fairly priced. Paid $30 less for a favorite wine.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant was praised to me as "the" place to visit for a fine dining experience in Palm Springs. The ambiente couldn't be nicer. The hotel in which the restaurant is located is an old-Hollywood gem with a storied history and the restaurant has a lot of quaint charm. The receptionist was amazing when we arrived too early, before the restaurant opened. This wonderful person brought us some food from the closed kitchen (!) because we were starving. We were reassured that this place was worth waiting for. The overall experience was a let-down, perhaps because he had expected so much. The waiters were lackluster. We felt rushed and not valued. The food was okay, but not really extraordinary as you would expect from a "fine dining" spot and the prices. I complained about the dessert, which was a really terrible interpretation or riff on tiramisu, my favorite dessert that I eat all over the world (in good restaurants, mostly Italian ones), and know to appreciate. This one had zero marsala in it and was topped of with soggy fruit! Phew. The inside was heavy, too creamy, not the light fluffy mascarpone mix it's supposed to be. I sent it back. At least the restaurant comped the dessert after I explained myself. I don't think I would go back there. It just wasn't special enough.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

just what I was looking for.. solid drinks, great burger and apps.. perfect people watching.. young hipsters and winter birds..

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Good inexpensive Valet Parking & excellent table service, spoiled by the food.

With great expectations of a wonderful brunch buffet 4 of us set out for an adventure most folk on here seem to rate as near perfect.

No way Jose....no buffet....order a la carte off a limited menu.

The wife had seafood crepes. Seemed to be frozen [not fresh] crepes covered with what looked like cat chuck & apparently didn't taste like much of anything, let alone seafood.
I went for the 3 egg sausage & mushroom omlette. It was cold, must have been pigeon eggs & the sausage went missing in action. The mushroom [canned?] was blah & devoid of flavour.
Another had poached salmon that was tough, dried out & bland.
Then the only "happy camper" had tenderloins medium rare [cooked as described] covered with dungerness crab & a Hollendaise sauce.

This place may be good @ other times, although the brunch last Sunday was a big flop & the cook needs a rocket someplace.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a treat! The food was delicious and the service was great. I had the lobster pot pie, my husband had the chicken, shrimp and scallops. Yummmm