“Best dinner we had in Palm Springs”

Workshop Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Workshop Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 337 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tamarisk
Description: Dedicated to food, drink, design, and community. Workshop Kitchen + Bar is Palm Spring's newest gem in the heart of the Uptown Design District. Located in the Class 1 Historic El Paseo building from 1926, Workshop’s Industrial chic interior gives the historic space a contemporary edge befitting the locale. Our kitchen is based around seasonal products from local farms, so the menu changes often. Although "Americana" may best describe the style of our food, influences are many. Favorite techniques in the kitchen include our wood-fired pizza oven, wood-fired grill, and custom sous-vide station. The bar looks mostly to American classics and carefully homemade basics. Original cocktails vary with the market's availability and our bartender's mood. * Please note: Booth seating is limited and is reserved for parties of 3 - 6. We will do our best to accommodate your requests, but make no guarantees. For special requests, please call us at (760) 459-3451. *
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We love places with modern decor and fresh food. This fit the bill perfectly. Octopus carpaccio, calamari salad, and of course duck fat fries. Service was great, we walked in without a reservation and the worked to accommodate is even though it is obviously a popular place. Indoor and outdoor seating and modern concrete tables. Would love to be dining there again tonight.

1  Thank Dean H

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Our dinner last night was ok. Amazing decor and service was good. The food was pretty mediocre .
My brusselsprout salad was too vinegary.
The scallops and risotto was too salty.
The chocolate torte was fine but nothing special.

1  Thank Misssdr
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Having moved from Chicago to Palm Springs a few years ago, we have missed the city "vibe"...especially in restaurants. No doubt about it, Workshop Kitchen has captured that magic! Fun, gorgeous crowd, talented staff (especially chef owner, Michael and mixologist, Gregory!). The space, though concrete, severly modern and lofty is one of the warmest environments in town! Food is served large-tapas style. Try the burger, duck pate, sliced tenderloin...and especially the fries made in duck-fat....soooo good! All drinks are are work of art, but the punch bowls are the most fun! This place hit some bumps on their way to the top...but looks like they have it all worked out and are ready to become a landmark on the Palm Springs culinary circuit!

1  Thank skitramp
Reviewed March 22, 2013

this was one of the worst meals i ate in palm springs. how can you mess up kale sauteed in oil? i've never been known to leave vegetables (esp. kale) on my plate but i couldn't stomach the food here. the space is really lovely and the servers were very friendly but i would never eat here again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Good and Bad! The food here is excellent but our experience with the service has us vowed not to go back. Keep in mind we were there on a Wednesday and they were NOT busy.
I booked Workshop for my partner's birthday in December. We arrived and told we had a booth that was just being set up and would we mind waiting at the bar.
45 minutes later, we still weren't seated. I went over to the person that I spoke to only to be greeted by someone else who introduced herself as the manager. Hmm, then who was the other person? I explained to the manager that we'd been waiting for our booth for 45 minutes. She looked at me with a look of shock and horror. The other woman, or girl, that I'd spoken to told the manager everyone that was waiting had been seated. Wrong! We hadn't!
To make things worse, they'd given away our booth and told us the only seating left was at the middle communal table. Hardly a nice setting for the intimate dinner I'd planned to have with my partner. The manager apologized for the mistake but that is all we got.....an apology. After this screw-up, things didn't much improve re: service.
Our wait person was a very nice, very tall man. He took our wine and food orders a few minutes after we'd looked at the menus. He brought our wine and served us a glass. Then our starters arrived. That was the last time he came to our table until just before we finished our meal. The servers that brought our food were the only ones we could get to refill our wine glasses because our waiter was M.I.A.. The bottle was 15ft away in a bucket so we couldn't even serve ourselves.
No effort was made to make up for the table fiasco. Not even a candle on my partner's dessert....and they knew it was a birthday dinner.
What is just as upsetting is, after sharing this review via Open Table I heard nothing from Workshop Kitchen. I waited weeks. Then I emailed the restaurant directly. That was also weeks ago. In both cases I did not hear one word from Workshop Kitchen. As new residents to Palm Springs, this is disappointing. We hope all restaurants in P.S. don't have the same "who cares" attitude Workshop Kitchen seems to have. As I said earlier, we have no intention of going back even if the food is excellent. I feel you should get what you pay for.....Food = yes, absolutely. Serivce = Not by a long shot! And as for the other person that screwed up and gave our table away....we saw her later on talking away on her phone by the kitchen......not even aware of her major mess-up.

2  Thank NewYorkerinOz