TripAdvisor
Palm Springs
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews sister property record player mid century fire pit manager eric don draper saltwater pool pool hours albert frey mad men tennis club yogurt central location modernism week quiet area retro style art museum
Selected filters
Reviewed October 31, 2018

I debated whether I should write a review at all, mostly because I didn't want to get the word out on this place more. Perfect location, with the small size and feel that you just don't get at a big-box brand hotel or a larger hotel. Granted, we were there midweek at the end of September, but we had the place to ourselves. Even if it was in-season and full, it still would have felt small and eclectic and all ours. Eric, who runs the place, was amazing, and they have great self serve coffee and pastries every morning. Not sure if they had record players in every room, but they did in ours - what a cool treat.

I don't want to just repeat what's already been stated, but the Mid Century feel of the place is unparalleled - they've done a great job here. Next time we make it back to the west coast and stop through Palm Springs, we won't search for where we're going to stay - it's going to be the Hideaway!

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank brich013
Reviewed October 19, 2018

I love to be surprised. What a pleasant surprise this was and we can not wait to come back! First the basics: Perfect location right downtown but a couple of blocks away from the noise and hub bub so it was very quiet. Lovely pool area. Comfortable beds with ample closets. Easy street parking. They nailed all of that. Now for why it is WAY better than other places you might find down there...First, it is managed by the owners who take great care and pride with every little detail right down to cool music turntables in each room and vintage LP's to play. We loved and appreciated all the effort put into keeping this place looking like you've stepped back into the glamorous 1950's Hollywood hey-day. Martini time! We enjoyed the complimentary bikes and rode all around the cute neighborhood and downtown. They have a coffee room and a community lounge area off the pool that were wonderful to use. The fact that it has so few rooms would make it ideal to book the whole place for a family weekend or girl's get away. This place is absolutely perfect in our opinion and we can't wait to come back.

Room tip: We loved 114 which had a lovely view of the pool and mountains but all had pretty views!
Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed September 30, 2018

We just returned from one of our bi-annual trips to PS and we were unable to stay here, as we usually do. We split our time between the Del Marcos and The Desert Riviera which were both just plain okay compared to The Hideaway. My heart breaks just looking at these photos, I'm not sure why I torture myself like this. Until next time, my love.

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank Barbara P
Reviewed July 31, 2018

What a charming and serene hotel! It's tastefully renovated from the 1940s and has beautiful mountain views. The location of the hotel is close to everything and Eric, who is the host is amazing. What a wonderful experience. We can't wait to go back!

Room tip: They are all great.
Date of stay: July 2018
2  Thank merriahh2018
Reviewed July 25, 2018

The Hideaway is one of those places that you want to keep a secret. It has the perfect "hidden behind the hedges" tranquility and doesn't try (like so many PS places do) to become a trendy mid-century hipster hangout with too much added-on kitsch. The Hideaway comes by its "swank" the natural way - by just being cool and comfortable in its original mid-cent skin. Eric, the General Manager, is both well-connected and well-traveled and pops by at just the right time to ensure all is ideal. There is no lobby, just a cluster of spacious rooms overlooking the desert gardening and perfect pool. The views up towards the Albert Frey House II and the San Jacinto Mountains are picture perfect. Originally intending to stay just one night, I stayed for six. I often felt as if I had the place to myself. Those guests I did encounter tend to speak in hushed whispers in keeping with the serenity. I've stayed in a dozen Palm Springs hotels over the years - from the big resorts to the smallest boutique properties. The Hideaway is my new favorite.

Room tip: They say Room #111, Dino's Den, is the room to get. I did.
Date of stay: July 2018