TripAdvisor
Palm Springs
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews sister property record player mid century fire pit manager eric don draper saltwater pool pool hours albert frey mad men tennis club yogurt central location modernism week quiet area retro style art museum
Selected filters
Reviewed November 7, 2016

I contacted the Orbit In to book a room for three nights for my wife and me about 30 days prior to our arrival. I was told there was no room at the In for us, but there was one room available at their sister property, the Hideaway. "Are You Kidding Me?" - The Orbit In is our favorite place to stay in the Coachella Valley. Bill encouraged me to take his word and give the Hideaway a try. We chose the Hideaway over one more property in Palm Springs only because of the great way we have been treated at the Orbit In. We were running late driving from San Francisco and called to notify management. We left a message and sent an email. After two more hours and no answer we were concerned that we wouldn't have a room. My wife called again and Bill answered apologizing for not seeing the message light or the email....he was tending to his guests at the boomerang bar serving good wine and Orbitinis. Okay that's cool because we love the Orbitinis! Bill gave us the code to the gate and upon arrival at 11:30pm, we couldn't get the gate to open. Against our better judgment, we called Bill to tell him and after some more attempts, Jinny came down and popped the gate open - we were doing it wrong.."Are You Kidding Me? Oh well. Chris took our small bags to the room and I returned to our vehicle to retrieve our other two suitcases and before I could say anything, Jinny had followed me and grabbed one of the bags (which was just about as big as she is!!) and started dragging it toward the Hideaway and our room. I was thinking "Are You Kidding Me?" I have never had another hotel owner help me with my luggage and I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year. I entered the property and it was lighted beautifully, just like a 1948 postcard for Midcentury Modern Motor Inns. I stopped part way and thought to myself "AYKM?"...this place is amazing! Pool, Palm Trees, landscaping and beautiful grass and the structure!!! Roman Brick, horizontal lines with glass cornered room walls. Everywhere I looked I saw more. After getting into the room "Herb's Hideaway" with mouth open and saying "cool" way too many times, Jinny led us to the kitchen, which is always open, with snacks, coffee, tea, soft drinks and juices. Again those words popped into my thoughts "AYKM?". No other hotel has this. We took the time to mix two small martinis which we sipped on the back patio while listening to jazz on the vinyl loaded console stereo in the living area. Low lights, warm night, cool jazz and delicious cocktails at midnight in the desert.....right? "AYKM?". Saturday morning Jinny had Herb's dining table set with more than a continental breakfast spread which we enjoyed eating on the front patio facing the pool while the sun rose from our left. In the daylight the grounds were even more spectacular. We floated in the pool, headed to Tommy Bahamas for a late lunch and back to the Orbin In at 5 for Orbitinis! Cocktail hour was fun and interesting chatting with the other guests and the boomerang bar being manned by the man in the hat, Bill. What a host.!! On our way back walking down the street to the Hideaway we both agreed that we had no reason to second guess Bill as to the Hideaway's acceptability. We are back in Wiscoinsin now and still look at ourselves and mutter the words "AYKM?" About the fabulous time we had in Palm Springs at the Hideaway.
Don't think twice about staying at the Orbit In or the Hideaway...they are both the Cat's Meow, Baby!

Room tip: Herb's Hideaway room is spacious and Comfy!!
Date of stay: November 2016
1  Thank Tikijim
Reviewed October 31, 2016

Best hotel experience I've ever had. This is a small property - only 10 rooms surrounding the gorgeous courtyard with a beautiful saltwater pool. The owner and GM take amazing care of the property and really care for the guests. The rooms are decked out in mid-century furnishings, and the beds are very comfortable. There's a kitchen available to all guests with a stocked fridge and snacks that you can grab at any time. They have a continental breakfast each morning. There are bikes available for guests to use at their convenience. And I can't forget the nightly Orbitini happy hour they put on at the sister property, Orbit In, just a couple blocks down. It's a very quick walk to downtown, but when you're at the hotel it feels so quiet, calm, and peaceful that you forget you're in a resort town. It was our first stay in Palm Springs, and I can't imagine staying anywhere else in the future.

Date of stay: October 2016
Reviewed October 21, 2016

We only stayed for one night, but it was an excellent stay. We stayed in Dino's Den, which was really spacious and like the rest of the hotel, really nicely furnished. If you love mid-century architecture and furnishing, this will be right up your street. The pool area is really neat, as is the vinyl player in each room and large selection of records. The breakfast was very good, and the freely available snacks and sodas were a nice touch. It's typically adults only, but they let us stay with our baby son on the basis we didn't disturb others, which we really appreciated. We'd stay again!

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2016

There really is no where in Palm Springs as perfect as the Hideaway. We stay in Herb's Hideaway and the room is spacious with retro furnishings, kitchenette and has a private patio. Rooms are spotless.The Hideaway is so peaceful yet only a five minutes walk to Old Palm Springs; but do take a torch for evening walks as there isn't any street lighting. Breakfast at the Hideaway is laid out in a lovely communal sitting room; it is substantial and served until 10 30 am. Grounds at the Hideaway are lovely with fruit bearing lime and grapefruit trees. The pool is attractive and there are plentiful loungers,chairs, tables and umbrellas dotted around. Complementary soft drinks and snacks are available 24 hrs a day.

Date of stay: September 2016
Reviewed July 25, 2016

This place is the BEST! Cool, chic, retro charm - the rooms and the pool area would have you thinking you had dropped into the set of a Mad Men episode. Breakfast was help yourself to anything, fresh and healthy fare. We joined our host Bill for Orbitini cocktails up at the bar of sister hotel Orbit In at drink o'clock - what a charming and interesting host. Floating around in the pool at midnight was a highlight - we only stayed one night but could have stayed a month - so relaxing.

Room tip: All the rooms are great
Date of stay: June 2016