“Anniversary Getaway”

Alcazar Palm Springs
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Loved this small quiet hotel. We got the week day special of stay two nights and they gave you a third for free. Booked a King Deluxe and room which was clean and quiet. Slow time of year and the rest of the guests were all European. Only bummer was the resturants closed down the day we got there. Pool was clean and relaxing. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovesabrit
There are newer reviews for Alcazar Palm Springs

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I checked in an early and had no problem. They even upgraded me to a king deluxe room. The pool was small but nice. There is a 25 person capacity for pool. There were about 9 people in the pool when I was there and it was ok. The pool is not deep. 3' on both ends and 5' in the middle. So it's a basically "hang out" pool. The room was nice and spacious. There was a Jacuzzi tub in the room. The air conditioner was loud but efficient. The bed was comfortable. The shower was powerful. I didn't notice a safe in the room which I would like to have had. The pastries in the morning were croissant rolls... nothing fancy but good. I would stay here again. The staff were all very pleasant. I would recommend this place for couples.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank karolyn1
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband booked a night at the Alcazar in Palm Springs and neither of us knew exactly what it was going to be like. The pool was small and very refreshing, especially on a hot night. I liked the ambiance and the interesting water features near the pool as well.

The room was clearly remodeled or at least upgraded. This is an old place that has a nice hip vibe. The bed was very comfortable but the floor was a bit cold-feeling on bare feet. That's probably not a big strike against this motel as it's HOT outside. The room felt small and not sound-proof quiet but as I mentioned before, this is a very dated facility that has been cleverly updated.

I'd stay here again as the location was incredibly handy. We walked to a street festival and out for dinner. It's nothing fancy, it's comfortable and convenient. One note - after reading about Cheeky's I was really looking forward to the complimentary breakfast pastry - it was OK. My husband tells me though that the coffee was good.

I'd rate this as a 3.5 instead of a 3!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Morningsatthebeach
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed this past weekend at the Alcazar Palm Springs and was so very pleased with my stay. I have a 9 month old infant and before my husband and I had our son, we used to stay at places like the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs. We were always looking for the party and for some sort of a scene. Now that we we have a 9 month old...the Ace is out of the question for us, but it doesn't mean we're necessarily resolved to suddenly start checking in at the family friendly, Water Park, Disney themed hotels.

Knowing it gets super hot in Palm Springs, and that I would have my 9 month old in tow...I knew I needed a pool, and a room with AC close by. My friends suggested multiple large hotels that had family friendly pools...but knowing my son can't be out in the heat for super long stretches, I didn't like the idea of being isolated super far away in a dark room, while my friends partied it up and relaxed in the pool getting a tan. The great thing about the Alcazar is that the hotel is small and every room surrounds the pool from what I could tell. So if you have an infant, and he needs to go down for a nap, or you need to get him out of the heat for a bit, you are still within ear shot of all your buds..or him if he is napping. Each room is no more than 10 feet from the pool. I was able to put him down for a nap in the room multiple times during our weekend, and bring the monitor out to the pool (it reached). It was technically no farther than it would be from my sons room to my bedroom at home, and so I really felt there was no problem with it. And then when he was down for the night, I was able to enjoy the jacuzzi and pool with my monitor beside me (which technically closed at midnight...but they don't enforce it unless your being super loud).

What made it even greater was that the hotel is connected to Birba, a chique night time loungy hot spot in downtown Palm Springs. So yes, while my son was down for the count...friends and I enjoyed a few drinks and dinner at the bar/restaurant on the property. Yes, my monitor reached...so that's how close we were. I think if this plan is one you are trying to recreate, you need to make sure you are on the right side of the property, because the monitor may not reach if your room is on the opposite side of the pool. But the fact that this is achievable at all...should give you an idea of how small the property actually is. I really felt I was able to have the best of both worlds, a place that accommodated me and my needs as a mom with a son under 1... And also as someone who still is young enough to enjoy a few drinks (only a few mind you, not taking advantage of the situation here). That being said, if any of this makes you uncomfortable, you can always hire a sitter for $15 an hour from desert super sitters (Allison wad the best), which we did our second night in Palm Springs, so we could check out the Casino and go to a fancy dinner.

If your kids are a bit older, I think this place would still be great...but we were definitely the only people there with a kid...and it didn't seem like the kind of place where if you have a kid older than let's say 5, you'd want to be per say. That's when you start going to the water park hotels (Rancho Las Palmas).

Last but not least, strong air conditioners and white clean linens and minimal classic design. For the price ($129 a night) this place was one of the better decisions I ever made.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank beau286
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed at the alcazar in July for a family celebration. The hotel is in a very convenient location and is walking distance from a lot of the attractions of downtown Palm Springs. The room was very large and the pool area was very nice. Would stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights, it was the last stop, we made a roadtrip for 3 weeks, this was the ideal hotel for the last days because we just wanted to relax and enjoy the sun! Very clean nice modern hotel, good service! Also nice restaurant birba!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 11, 2014

The Alcazar Hotel is on the western end of Palm Springs-- far enough away from the downtown to offer some peace and quiet, but not too far to walk (assuming the weather cooperates). The hotel is very boutique with minimalist rooms and public facilities. Every inch was clean and welcoming. The hotel competes very favorably against many other high-end small boutique hotels. It's certainly worth taking a chance on this property.

I went in July so there were few guests. The upside of that choice was a very compelling price and a welcoming staff. If you're going off-season, I recommend a poolside room. I can't recommend those rooms in the high season however because I didn't have that experience, although they might be perfectly fine.

The only downside in July were the two restaurants on the property that were closed. That's understandable in the desert summer heat, but there were many nearby options.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends