“Cozy, casual, and comfortable hotel”

Alcazar Palm Springs
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor feedback instead of another hotel. We were very satisfied with our room since it is quiet and the patio provides a nice feature to enjoy the beautiful weather outside as our own sanctuary. The room is comfortable and clean with all the essentials and a hot tub. The manager, Robert, is a great host and the staff are friendly who provided good restaurant recommendations. We love the casual atmosphere of this hotel and the ambiance. The pastry and the tea/coffee in the morning is great to start the day. The location is excellent since we walk to the center of Palm Springs downtown and find trails to do our morning jog/walk to start our day. We are very pleased with our choice since we did not pick a resort type and get to experience Palm Springs and other communities.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alcazar Palm Springs

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Alcazar was clean and is quiet, attractive grounds and the room was spacious and all done up in white. The location was great. We could walk to the downtown Thursday night festival. You can get a biscuit and coffee or tea in the morning if you like. We quite enjoyed it and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We had room 31, which is off of the pool in the corner. Good location.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank icecap2
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel was perfect for me.

As a writer, I'm always looking for quaint places where I can work and feel like I'm getting a bit of a vacation at the same time. I found it here.

I stayed in a Poolside King Deluxe with private patio. It was clean, quiet, and spacious. I went down to the welcome desk every morning for the complimentary coffee and the people were very nice. The pool area is relaxing and low-key.

I had dinner at Birba. Delicious food, great atmosphere.

My only small criticism is that they don't seem to reply to email requests. I sent two emails prior to my visit and never heard back. However, when I called, they were very helpful. (Shout out to Casha for making sure my patio request was fulfilled. My stay wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable without since that's where I did most of my writing.)

I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Bree S
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel is located in downtown Palm Springs just off of Palm Canyon Drive. It’s a small, white stucco, red tiled roof property that is impeccably maintained. The grounds are very peaceful and comfortable – flowers, vines, wall fountain next to the pool and hot tub, quiet music, etc. The hotel has cruiser bikes and helmets available for guests to use, and they also serve coffee, tea, orange juice and pastries beginning at 7:30 AM. If one is interested in coffee prior to 7:30 there is a great coffee shop across the street about a block away on Palm Canyon drive.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carrie W
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I found this place with my "Hotel Tonight" ap in a desperate attempt to find lodging for myself & a friend after getting her checked out of the local hospital. We live almost 2 hours away & didn't want to take her home until we knew she was stable enough. This place was like heaven for us. The price I got was great. The staff was wonderful. Casha did everything she could to make us comfortable and help with our situation. The GM, Robert went above and beyond when we were departing getting ice for our cooler and helping me load wheelchair and luggage in our car. The property is absolutely beautiful, peaceful & comfortable. The courtyard was so inviting with a gorgeous fountain, delightful fire place & lovely pool. I REALLY hope I get the opportunity to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank HaveBags-LetsGo
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed here with my partner over the Thanksgiving, 2013 weekend (Checked in Thursday afternoon, checked out Saturday morning). Overall, it was a pleasant experience, but we would probably explore some of the other boutique hotels in downtown Palm Springs rather than staying here again.

Check-in: the lady on duty around 2:00 pm was not terribly friendly, but not rude.

The room: One of the "modern white" themed rooms facing the pool on the lower level. King or queen sized bed, probably queen. The all-white decor and walls look great in pictures. In person, not so much. The floor covering is some sort of white vinyl, which is not bad, but the warmth of the room would have been greatly helped by having a few throw rugs on the floor to relieve the sort of hospital feel that it gives. Furnishings consisted of the bed, a couch along the rear wall, a desk, and a desk chair. Since there isn't much surface space to put small bags or other items, the couch served that purpose, which means one or two comfortable chairs, apart from the plastic desk chair, would have been appreciated. No complaints about the bed's quality, but it was a little softer than I prefer. Overall, the tone of the room was sort of cold and antiseptic, rather than chic-ly modern. It would only take a few touches to push it in the right direction.

The bathroom is just sort of not practical. No counter space. A small two level stand for placing your personal grooming stuff, but inadequate for two people. The shower stall was so small that I could not soap up without opening the shower curtain or door in order to give me enough room soap up my body [and I'm of average build]. I suppose the hotel just kept the shower stalls in when they remodelled the old property, but they should have gotten rid of them and installed larger ones.

The pool area and court-yard are the best thing about the property. I swam in the pool for about 20 minutes on Thursday night, and 30 minutes on Saturday morning. A very attractive, pretty and well-landscaped area. The pool is salt-water, but I think it could have used a little more salt, a little less chlorine. Still, a first-rate hang-out area.

The restaurant, Birba, we ate at during a stay earlier in November. The pizza was very good, the service was okay, but I don't understand why they had an over-amped rock/r & b band playing during dinner at 8 pm. I guess the management is bidding to make Birba a hipper, more youth-oriented restaurant, but the band was so loud it interfered with conversation. It was very packed, so getting a table out of the line of fire of the band was impossible.

The wi-fi password that the front desk gave us worked eventually, but not at first. Getting channels on the TV was tricky, but possible. You pretty much had to enter individual numbers rather than just pressing the up or down arrow. What's up with that? We thought there was something wrong with the TV and had to have a staff member come out to explain it.

The free breakfast: The coffee was better than average [I drink a lot of coffee], the croissants were acceptable, but just sort of meh. They could do better there.

The manager, Robert was first-rate. We talked with him when we were checking out. He is very friendly and open, and knowledgeable about the local Palm Springs scene, seems like a good resource person. He gave us a 10% discount off the room-rate because of our difficulties with the wi-fi password and TV.

The thing is, at the prices they are charging for the room, I just don't think it's a very good value proposition. The Thursday night was $184 before taxes and surcharges, the Friday night was $224 before same. At that price-point, I think there are probably better choices among the downtown Palm Springs boutique hotels. You should get better amenities at $200 a night. When they first did the remodel, they were priced around $125-$150 a night, and for that price I would be more forgiving of the limitations.

Overall, it was a nice base of operations for our 2 and a half day stay, but we will pretty definitely check out another place on our next week-end getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms that have carpeting. The "all-white modern" room we had was not...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travelbling
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had a great 2 night stay in January. The room was spacious and inviting - the only downside was the street noise from the 2 PM and 6 AM motorcycles! But the real highlight is the pool and patio area in the courtyard. We ended up spending much more time than planned lounging about. In fact, we ended up bringing in sandwiches one day and cocktails another. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Might be better to ask for a room sheltered from the street side.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple