“Great location”

Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Seattle, Washington
“Great location”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I got a Groupon deal and packed up the dog for a weekend in Palm Springs. My greeting at Alcazar wasn't the friendliest...did I advise them I'd be bringing my dog? yes I always do. "the rule is you have to have a patio room and pay a $50 fee for the dog". Ok, that's your rule, so fine. Unfortunately, there were no patio rooms available so we got an upgraded (?) room with a fireplace on the second floor. Ok. What they didn't mention, was the restaurant below cranks up on a Friday night and sleep is next to impossible. Make sure you either bring earplugs or ask for a room far from the bar. The room itself was very nice and clean and cozy with comfy bed and duvet, loads of down pillows. The hotel grounds are lovely, pool area is beautiful and relaxing, although I never got to relax much. The location is awesome, right down the street from The Corridor shops and my favorite Koffi shop. When I checked out, my Groupon was not taken off my bill. I had to come back in and sort it out. The Alcazar people were all very nice and the hotel is definitely worth a return trip. Dogs are allowed but there really isn't anywhere on the hotel grounds for them to go potty or any trashcans.

Room Tip: Ask to be far from the bar/restaurant.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I'm so excited to have found this gem of a place! It was JUST completely renovated. Great, comfy, clean rooms, gorgeous landscaping, and the pool and hot tub are to die for with an amazing view of the mountains and palm trees. Also, because it's such a small hotel (only about 30 rooms), poolside is always relaxing. (I used to stay at another hotel, but I guess I'm getting old, because loud thumping music and hoards of twenty-somethings taking up every lounge chair in sight with their drunken cackling doesn't do it for me any more.) Alcazar is my definition of CHILL. (Which is why I go to PS) Doesn't hurt at all that my two favorite restaurants are on the same property- Cheeky's (Breakfast and Lunch) and Birba (cocktails and dinner). Now when I come to town I take a cab from the airport to the hotel and back, otherwise I'm way too happy to even bother leaving the premisses!
THAT is MY definition of RELAXING!!!!!!

1 Thank Eiming
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Just returned from my third stay at Alcazar (the first was 6 years ago when it was called Pepper Tree Inn, under previous ownership; second was last year when the new owners were mid-renovation; and third was this past weekend). I have to say, this place is charming and has really come into its new identity beautifully!

GROUNDS
The landscaping is gorgeous around the pool and throughout the hotel grounds. (Last year when I visited, they were in the process of planting -- now everything is established, filled in, and in full bloom...it is lush and beautiful!) There are hot pink bougainvillea vines clinging to the bright white exterior walls of the reception / entrance area. You can smell the jasmine bushes when the breeze kicks up. I enjoyed lounging by the pool and watching the wall of water...it was so peaceful and relaxing. At night the trees are lit up and there's a fire pit that completes the scene.

ROOM
The room I had (22) was spacious and tastefully decorated with minimalist, modern furniture and fixtures. Everything is light, bright, and airy. I love the art on the walls -- different in each guest room, very bold and original. Not your average hotel art! The king bed was super comfy, and the bathroom was huge and spotlessly clean. Nice towels and plenty of hot water for the shower. There was a Jacuzzi tub in my room but I didn't get a chance to use it because I was too busy lounging and swimming. (Rough life!)

CHECK-IN / CHECK-OUT AND STAFF INTERACTIONS
I arrived a few hours before check-in time, and the young woman at the front desk offered to stow my luggage in their back office and gave me a key to the restroom by the pool so I could change into my swimsuit and lounge by the pool until my room was ready. All my encounters with staff, from the desk staff to the cleaning crew to the resident manager, were pleasant. I was also pleased to find they added a small "business center" where guests can go online and check in for flights and print boarding passes -- it is a nice touch.

ON-SITE RESTAURANTS
On most vacations I like to try a new restaurant for each meal, but this place has 2 restaurants next door (Cheeky's for breakfast / lunch and Birba for dinner / cocktails) that made me hardly want to leave the block! This was my laziest vacation ever in terms of venturing out, but I didn't even care because I ate so well! My favorites at Cheeky's were the Huevos Rancheros and the Buttermilk & Corn Pancakes with blueberries. Also, the agua fresca rocks. At Birba, I loved the Hello Nancy (to drink) and the meatballs. And the mushroom pizza. And... I can't remember due to multiple rounds of Hello Nancy... :-)

OVERALL
An enthusiastic thumbs-up from me. Alcazar is laid-back and relaxing, and just the kind of un-fussy / un-pretentious place I like to stay on vacation. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank tosatravelbug
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 5, 2012

There are several things my friends and I enjoyed about our stay at Alcazar. First and foremost was the proximity to pretty much everything. With it being on Palm Canyon Drive, you are able to walk to anything on that strip relatively quickly. The street festival (which is held every Thursday night) is a 2-3 block walk as are most restaraunts, etc. For my friends and I, it was also walking distance to the Spa Casino (if you're into the gambling thing).

The second thing that we really enjoyed, was the hotel itself. Very clean, very picturesque view of the mountains and surrounding area. The pool area, with it's waterfall wall, and quiet atmosphere was tremendous. The rooms are spacious and have a very modern feel. Another reason this hotel rates so high (in my book) is the restaraunt(s) and bar connected to the hotel. Cheeky's is a phenomenal way to start your day - their breakfast's are second to none, and the waitstaff is tremendous. For a quick drink, Birba is the place to go. Stay for dinner, and you won't be disappointed.

I was a bit leery coming to Palm Springs, as I was unfamiliar with the area, but my stay at Alcazar eleviated much of my trepidation leaving me wanting to come back. I hope you take this advice and try Alcazar out. It's a beautiful hotel, with a fun, lively bar/restaraunt combination to compliment it.

Enjoy!

1 Thank Sean F
Liberty Lake, Wa
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I bought a Groupon for a two night stay for the Alcazar Palm Springs. The hotel was lovely. We had a huge room with our own private patio that would have been nice to use if the weather had been warmer. The breakfast consists of a pastry and coffee which wasn't available until 8:00 am. Too late for us as we are early risers. A coupon for pizza and a drink at the Birba restaurant was also included. Pizza was delicious. Would stay here again when the weather is warmer to take advantage of the pool and bikes. We had to paid a resort charge but used none of the amenities.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I actually really enjoyed my stay at the Alcazar, and there is only one reason they get only three stars: my “mountain view” room had NO mountain view!! I complained immediately, thinking they just put me in the wrong room, and was told “all of that building is considered mountain view. And we are fully booked so we can’t switch you.” Okay… but it’s NOT mountain view!! How can you “consider” it mountain view when you cannot view the mountains?? I was really angry because the mountain view king rooms are some of the most expensive non-suite rooms. If you have booked a mountain view room, CALL THEM and make sure you are going to be on the TOP floor of the “mountain view” building. Or, just book a poolside with a jacuzzi instead. That’s what I would have done if I was aware I was LIED to.

We also could not connect to the internet, however we never complained to them about that so I couldn’t tell you if it would have been easily fixed or what. Still pretty annoying though. Other than that, I liked this place and the room. The bed was soooo comfortable. We had a nice fireplace (but note to staff, please get instructions!! I nearly blew my face off by turning the gas on too high) and a good, new TV with a little desk and a fridge for booze. Judging from the pictures, the rooms are all decorated quite differently. Ours looked like it still had furniture from the Peppertree days, it was light-colored wood, with lamps with a woodsy theme. I really liked the décor, it reminded me of Cape Cod without the seashell crap everywhere. Bathroom and shower were huge and the showerhead was nice.

Pool area was never crowded, in fact there were hardly ever people in the actual pool, and we only once had to wait for the hot tub. The hot tub was awesome considering it was a bit cloudy and cool a lot of the time we were there. I wish I took advantage of the floating chaises for the pool while it was sunny! When it cooled down they heated the pool perfectly. The poolside chaises facing the sun filled up, but I never had a problem getting one or just moving one into the sun! The day we left there were KIDS playing around in the pool and honestly had I been staying that day I would have been really annoyed. Alcazar should not bill itself as an adult hotel if there are kids. Duh. I would stay at Best Western or something if I wanted a ruckus around me all day.

The location is great, right in the middle of everything, you can walk to about a zillion restaurants and there was a cute little art fair the weekend we were there too. We did try Birba, I have to say I wasn’t that impressed, but I’m from the east coast and we just have better pizza there. =) We never went to Cheeky’s as I’m not really down for waiting an hour or more for brunch. I mean, really?? We had Blue Coyote Mexican for lunch one day, also drove about a mile down for all-day happy hour at Lulu’s, which was awesome, $5 cocktails whaattt. And go to Woody’s for the live jazz!! I was so surprised by that place! It looks like a little counter diner but there’s a back room with live jazz and super cheap beers and burgers. The best meal we had there! It’s like maybe a 10 minute walk south on Indian Canyon.

This is not yet a four- or five-star place. But, I would totally come back here next time I’m in Palm Springs, as it’s probably of the best values you can get. Super comfy rooms, great location, just make sure you are getting what you paid for re the “mountain view.” And really hope there are no children.

Room Tip: Make sure your "mountain view" is on the top floor of that building!!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I truly enjoyed my short stay at Alcazar in Palm Springs. We discovered the establishment through Groupon and stayed for two nights. Alcazar is the newly renovated Pepper Tree Inn and they did a mighty fine job of updating the place. The grounds, lobby, rooms and pool are all tasteful and elegant with a touch of a modern vibe but plenty of old throwbacks to mid-century style that Palm Springs is famous for. The pool is small but heated to a comfortable degree. I did not try the hot tub on this trip.

I would not recommend staying in Room 11. Our room was right next to the gate entrance to the pool and the gate is not oiled properly so we constantly heard squeaks and crashes as guests entered and left the pool. Luckily the location was not full as we stayed during the week. I couldn't imagine the disturbance if it was a busy weekend.

Despite the loud crashing gate, we really enjoyed our stay. Lots of great restaurants, shops and cafes within walking distance from the hotel. We only had the food at their night restaurant BIRBA, which had the best pizza and drinks. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 11 when possible. It's too close to the gate entrance of the pool resulting in lots...
2 Thank taurenlegend