“Great Groupon Deal”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Liberty Lake, Wa
“Great Groupon Deal”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I bought a Groupon for a two night stay for the Alcazar Palm Springs. The hotel was lovely. We had a huge room with our own private patio that would have been nice to use if the weather had been warmer. The breakfast consists of a pastry and coffee which wasn't available until 8:00 am. Too late for us as we are early risers. A coupon for pizza and a drink at the Birba restaurant was also included. Pizza was delicious. Would stay here again when the weather is warmer to take advantage of the pool and bikes. We had to paid a resort charge but used none of the amenities.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I actually really enjoyed my stay at the Alcazar, and there is only one reason they get only three stars: my “mountain view” room had NO mountain view!! I complained immediately, thinking they just put me in the wrong room, and was told “all of that building is considered mountain view. And we are fully booked so we can’t switch you.” Okay… but it’s NOT mountain view!! How can you “consider” it mountain view when you cannot view the mountains?? I was really angry because the mountain view king rooms are some of the most expensive non-suite rooms. If you have booked a mountain view room, CALL THEM and make sure you are going to be on the TOP floor of the “mountain view” building. Or, just book a poolside with a jacuzzi instead. That’s what I would have done if I was aware I was LIED to.

We also could not connect to the internet, however we never complained to them about that so I couldn’t tell you if it would have been easily fixed or what. Still pretty annoying though. Other than that, I liked this place and the room. The bed was soooo comfortable. We had a nice fireplace (but note to staff, please get instructions!! I nearly blew my face off by turning the gas on too high) and a good, new TV with a little desk and a fridge for booze. Judging from the pictures, the rooms are all decorated quite differently. Ours looked like it still had furniture from the Peppertree days, it was light-colored wood, with lamps with a woodsy theme. I really liked the décor, it reminded me of Cape Cod without the seashell crap everywhere. Bathroom and shower were huge and the showerhead was nice.

Pool area was never crowded, in fact there were hardly ever people in the actual pool, and we only once had to wait for the hot tub. The hot tub was awesome considering it was a bit cloudy and cool a lot of the time we were there. I wish I took advantage of the floating chaises for the pool while it was sunny! When it cooled down they heated the pool perfectly. The poolside chaises facing the sun filled up, but I never had a problem getting one or just moving one into the sun! The day we left there were KIDS playing around in the pool and honestly had I been staying that day I would have been really annoyed. Alcazar should not bill itself as an adult hotel if there are kids. Duh. I would stay at Best Western or something if I wanted a ruckus around me all day.

The location is great, right in the middle of everything, you can walk to about a zillion restaurants and there was a cute little art fair the weekend we were there too. We did try Birba, I have to say I wasn’t that impressed, but I’m from the east coast and we just have better pizza there. =) We never went to Cheeky’s as I’m not really down for waiting an hour or more for brunch. I mean, really?? We had Blue Coyote Mexican for lunch one day, also drove about a mile down for all-day happy hour at Lulu’s, which was awesome, $5 cocktails whaattt. And go to Woody’s for the live jazz!! I was so surprised by that place! It looks like a little counter diner but there’s a back room with live jazz and super cheap beers and burgers. The best meal we had there! It’s like maybe a 10 minute walk south on Indian Canyon.

This is not yet a four- or five-star place. But, I would totally come back here next time I’m in Palm Springs, as it’s probably of the best values you can get. Super comfy rooms, great location, just make sure you are getting what you paid for re the “mountain view.” And really hope there are no children.

Room Tip: Make sure your "mountain view" is on the top floor of that building!!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I truly enjoyed my short stay at Alcazar in Palm Springs. We discovered the establishment through Groupon and stayed for two nights. Alcazar is the newly renovated Pepper Tree Inn and they did a mighty fine job of updating the place. The grounds, lobby, rooms and pool are all tasteful and elegant with a touch of a modern vibe but plenty of old throwbacks to mid-century style that Palm Springs is famous for. The pool is small but heated to a comfortable degree. I did not try the hot tub on this trip.

I would not recommend staying in Room 11. Our room was right next to the gate entrance to the pool and the gate is not oiled properly so we constantly heard squeaks and crashes as guests entered and left the pool. Luckily the location was not full as we stayed during the week. I couldn't imagine the disturbance if it was a busy weekend.

Despite the loud crashing gate, we really enjoyed our stay. Lots of great restaurants, shops and cafes within walking distance from the hotel. We only had the food at their night restaurant BIRBA, which had the best pizza and drinks. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 11 when possible. It's too close to the gate entrance of the pool resulting in lots...
2 Thank taurenlegend
Bishop, California, United States
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This hotel was nice when it was the Peppertree, but it is now beyond nice! The rooms are much more polished, the grounds lovely and the staff extremely gracious. Our only regret was not having an extra day to spend relaxing at the pool-a good reason to come back. We have stayed at a number of various "boutique" hotels in Palm Springs, but after our recent stay at the Alcazar, we wouldn't stay anywhere else but the Alcazar!

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed February 9, 2012

1. Service: the best, from the warm reception of staff, willing to be of assistance in recommending the different rooms for different folks! Some couples, some families, some sisters, all got the best room for them. Staff: Sandra & general manager: Robert, all hands on!
2. Above & beyond. Guests from Washington, D.C. arrive at midnight (late flight). Room warmed, fireplace going, Alberto there to make sure all is well!
3. Rooms, all white, inviting, clean and sooooo comfortable. Pool area a delight.
4. Hotel sparkling, and location perfect! In the heart of of Palm Springs, any restaurant within walking distance.
5. Booked 7 rooms for relatives and not 1 complaint, all said they would definately stay there again. Best find in the desert! A must go to!

Room Tip: all rooms are pristine! One room has fabulous tub! One or two with fireplace. All quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Laguna Niguel
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Newly remodeled, Spanish style but done in crisp white with lots of greenery, a lovely pool and courtyard (especially aglow at night). The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are spacious, clean, well appointed and have very comfortable beds. Free continental breakfast features espresso and fine pastries. The location couldn't be better: in the area of great restaurants and design stores. This area reminded me of the old Palm Springs: calm, quiet and beautiful. They have cruising bicycles for guest's use and PS is flat and has lots of bike paths to explore.
We'll definitely return to Alcazar!

Room Tip: Some rooms have small private patios.
1 Thank alana70
Cardiff, South Wales, UK
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed here in May 2011 when it was called the pepper tree in and even then it was a fantastic little hotel. Very clean and modern - I can't believe they've renovated it - there was nothing wrong with it.

We had free coffee and pastries every morning and the pool area was great. The pool was open until very late - say midnight or maybe all night, can't remember. I'm not sure if this is still the case but it was great as it was still warm and the jacuzzi was also an added bonus. We also had free wifi with our booking.

Would 100% stay here again!! And would recommend to family and friends. We had a great price when we stayed. £43 for the night (mid week).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple