“Very nice, convenient, and great hosts”
Review of Tortuga del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tortuga del Sol
San Francisco
“Very nice, convenient, and great hosts”
Reviewed November 13, 2008

This is a nice small hotel convenient to Warm Sands area... within walking distance of the Tool Shed. We had a Pueblo suite, which was roomy with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was functional but a bit outdated. The pool area was large, had nice lounges, and had a nice spa. The hosts are very welcoming and made us feel at home. I've stayed at other gay resorts in PS and not enjoyed them as much as this hotel

• Liked — The hosts
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank gpmansf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
los angeles
Reviewed May 8, 2008

My new puppy Charlie, partner and I just got back from a quick getaway to Tortuga del Sol. I have to say without reservation that if you are looking for a quick fix to let go of all the stress in your life... this is your place.

We are quite conservative and had some reservations with the clothing optional... but not one person including Ron and Rick made us feel awkward about wearing clothes.

In fact LOT's of the guest's sat naked poolside, but this felt more like a personal option than the rule of law. This is only one of the reasons we'll go back. It felt more like a gathering of people who wanted to REALLY relax, rather that a bathhouse with sun. There was absolutely NO pretense, NO embarrassment, NO worries.

The absolute charm of the place is that it's NOT corporate or perfect. Ron and Rick escaped their corporate lives, found a property and completely turned it into a GREAT welcoming place to be. After all the American dream of owning your own piece of dream is what we're all after.

For the record: We are not friends of the owner, we do not want anything free and wish nothing but the best for anyone traveling to palm springs. Read all you can about other places and go with what you want in a resort.

However... if you want to feel welcomed, cared for, and TRULY relax this is your place.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed March 6, 2008

I recently stayed at Tortuga del Sol and I had the most comfortable experience! I was greeted warmly by Rob when I arrived and warmly departed with a hug from Ric. My room was just perfect for me and the pool was inviting and refreshing. Everyone I met there spoke to me and I felt very welcomed from the time I arrived until I left. The atmosphere was very relaxing and peaceful. The gentle music around the pool was a nice touch

Thanks for everything guys. If I can return, I will!

Jim
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

• Liked — The Hosts
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim047
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 23, 2008

My partner and I stayed here over President's Day weekend. We have one of the Pueblo studios with a small but full kitchen (pots, pan, utensils, dishes, gas stove, small fridge, sink, etc). We like our nicely decorated room with a vantage view of the pool and hot tub. Our hosts Ric and Rob were very friendly, helpful, and courteous, and you can get a lot of reliable and thoughtful information from them on the local scenes. They recommended several terrific restaurants within walking distance so during the day, we walked downtown and explored South Palm Springs on foot. At night, you will need a car to get around because there are not too many street lights. Tortuga Del Sol's other patrons or clients (from Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco Bay area, and LA) were also friendly and fun to talk to. It's clothing optional at the resort, and the adults here are respectful of one another. At the breakfast table and patio and pool areas, we chatted about various topics, serious politics to the local gay scenes and trends. Many of us sunbathed, read, relax, and bantered around the pool. The hot tub is a great place to relax! The good continental breakfast includes bananas, oranges, milk and juices, hot coffee, hot water for tea and decaf coffee, cereals, boiled eggs, bagels and pastries. An excellent way to start your morning, but if you need a hot full breakfast, check out the Rock Garden restaurant within walking distance. The resort also has a grapefruit tree, an orange tree, and lemon tree, and some guests picked and ate these citrus fruits. We will definitely return to this special place soon!

• Liked — Friendly hosts and guests, nice hot tub, relaxing atmosphere for gay men only.
  • Disliked — the very slow toaster for toasting bagels
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MeTwitty1Day
apple valley, CA
Reviewed December 23, 2007

The Tortuga del Sol is a very nice, small hotel. The owners are on site and couldn't have been more friendly. TdS had the most guests at this time of the season of all the inns on the street. We stayed in the dog-friendly suite. It is pretty large and has a private side yard so the pet can breathe some fresh air. Breakfast is adequate, but not sumptuous. The coffee was very good. The pool is clean as are the grounds. The only downside I experienced is that, unlike the Chase, TdS is not really a pet-friendly hotel. Only one room accepts pets, and your dog must be kept away from the rest of the property. Also, the wireless internet signal is iffy, but we used their office computer with no problems. All in all, worth a try, and no bad experiences.

• Liked — relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stephen_phillips
Reviewed September 29, 2007

This was my second time to Palm Springs and my partner's first. I stayed at another resort back in July, 2004; Desert Paradise. It was OK but not that friendly. Tortuga del Sol, on the other hand, was everything you could hope for if you want a clean, spacious and very warm, friendly and relaxed atmosphere. The hosts, Ricardo and Robert, were so welcoming and available, helpful and caring, that I'd like to be able to think of them as new friends. Bob & Greg

• Liked — Friendliness of the hosts
  • Disliked — Hmmmmm..... ?
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed September 28, 2007

My partner and I stayed at Tortuga during the 4th of July weekend this year and had a blast! We've been vacationing at Tortuga for five years now, and we really feel wonderfully relaxed and at home there. We love the layout of the property, and we really appreciate the gracious hosts/owners Rick and Rob. We've only stayed at a different resort once during the past five years, and we wish we'd never strayed from Tortuga!

• Liked — Gracious hosts/owners
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple