“A Great Surprise!”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
San Diego,CA
“A Great Surprise!”
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I was VERY surprised at how inexpensive this hotel was and the cleanliness was great! Being a couple of college students, we didn't have much money to bargain with! The service was more than any 5 star hotel can provide; very friendly staff! We arrived a few hours before our check in time and we were worried if we had requested to stay in our room before then, we would be charged for an extra day, but we were let into our room, no problem! My boyfriend and I were surprised how WHITE the sheets were, how comfortable the beds were, and we even had a balcony; great view of everything. The landscaping is very clean as well! The pictures do not do the hotel justice. Overall, very great experience! Will DEFINITELY stay again!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
chicago, IL
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I booked through the Palm Spring Chamber of Commerce or other Palm Springs marketing site and got a great deal.

Plusses: room was nicely redecorated, the bed was the most comfortable of any place I've stayed, the pool and grounds were very nice, the staff was very helpful most of the time, the manager went out of his way to fix the non-working wireless network, and the cleanliness was excellent. It was also within walking distance of the downtown shopping and eating area.

Minuses: the wireless didn't always work (though they did fix it each time, they seem to have an ongoing problem), the cold water was non-exisitent (the maintenance man came over immediately and explained that they pipes were on the roof - he also said it was on the list to re-insulate them), and the staff wasn't sure how to fix the wireless internet, needing to wait for the manager to come back to do it.

I would definitely stay here again, especially if I got a similar deal.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
Reviewed January 24, 2007

Being a dog owner with a large dog I had to find dog friendly accommodations. The price was excellent, the service great and the room was big enough for me, my sister and two dogs. The only thing that Tanner (my dog) did not like was the spiral stairs to our room.

The beds are very comfortable and we had a little kitchenette so I could cook a snack in the microwave. The pool is not glamorous but cute. I am coming back here even if I don't have Tanner.

• Liked — Great value and very cute hotel
  • Disliked — spiral staircase to our room
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank mamadawg
Pau, France
Reviewed January 8, 2007

My husband and I and our 3 month old stayed at the 7 Springs for 2 nights in January. I booked it based on the favorable reviews on Tripadvisor.

We booked our room over the phone, specifying that we wanted a room with a door between the bedroom and another room where we could put the baby. First person we talked to (to check the rates) said to ask for a deluxe queen suite when booking to have a separate bedroom from living area (128/night). The second person said there was a king suite with a separate full bedroom to the side (98/night), which we booked. However, upon checking in at 4pm, that room had already been given to someone else. They "upgraded" us to a room which appeared to be simply a king bed with living area combined and a small kitchen off to the side (with an incredible view of the mountains however). They apologized and charged us 90/night but I am not sure if this was to make up for the mistake or that it was really a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

All complaints aside, our room was very comfortable. The bed, kitchen and shower were great. It was nice to have a DVD player since we did not want to go out much with the baby. We rented movies at a nearby Hollywood video store. The spa and pool were great for a small hotel. The service - David was super. The others, nothing to write about.

Other drawbacks - no hair dryer in bathrooms, old windows (probably from original apartments) in bathroom, stained chairs in kitchen (had to stand on one just to reach the DVD player). Overall, we would stay here again for the price.

• Liked — quiet (small)
  • Disliked — room not what promised; continental breakfast disgusting (danish,muffin, coffee, juice)
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
Oakland, CA
Reviewed December 28, 2006

This was a pleasant surprise. I booked online and got a very reasonable rate so my expectations were not very high. From the outside, you would probably drive right past this place--it does not look like a hotel. I had a great room with a nice little balcony and a view of the mountains. It's not a fancy place, but if you're looking for a nice, clean, and very comfortable room, this is the place. It's off the main strip, but within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2006
1 Thank CASolstice
Corona, CA
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for Father's Day in 2005. We located it online for a last minute visit and went the same day that we made the reservation.

From the inside of the lobby area, the hotel was intriguing in its retro 1950's/1960's look. It was a lot of fun. The main doors to our room were sliding glass opening onto a grassway that led to the pool. The pool is basic, but was all we needed for my wife, three-year-old daughter and me.

The outside is unimpressive, but this boutique hotel had the most comfortable beds I can remember sleeping in, with thick down comforters. The bathroom was small and unventilated (I don't think it had a tub, but only a shower), but the room seemed so luxurious for a remodeled 50-year-old hotel, that I didn't care much. The rooms were very clean and pre-cooled - important with the outside temperature exceeding 100 degrees Fahrenheit at the time we arrived.

The front desk staff was the biggest downside. I heard them arguing with a guest, they couldn't find anything they needed, check-in took over 30 minutes even though we were only the second in line, and they were adament about wanting a deposit for pool towels from other guests who entered while we were waiting, which seemed odd. They seemed confused and complained a lot about what they were doing in front of us and other guests.

Once we were checked in and ready to enjoy our stay, however, it was a great time.

The hotel is only a short distance (about a mile) from the beginning of the shopping and dining region, but this was a perfect distance to be convenient, yet quiet.

I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a good comfortable room at a reasonable rate and has thick enough skin to ignore the front desk staff.

• Liked — The outstanding comfort of the beds
  • Disliked — The front desk staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early and ask for a room off of the grassway near the pool
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled with family
1 Thank NationwideSurveys
AZ
Reviewed August 16, 2006

I was in Palm Springs for a week (with a 2-day quick trip back home in between). I booked my stay online through a Palm Springs website. I couldn't believe the rooms available for the prices! I was not going to be spending a lot of time in the room during my stay, but wanted as much luxury as my buget could allow. The staff was very friendly upon check in, and my first 2 nights I had a King room with a kitchen a few rooms down from the lobby on the street side. I was a little disappointed with the air conditioner (wall unit), but they clearly show them in the photos and I was prepared. The room was very nice, with a very comfortable bed, ample closet space, tiny but functional kitchen with a full refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster, etc. The bathroom was very pretty, but with only a glass shelf above the pedestal sink, but there was a granite shelf and mirror just outside the bathroom. One note--there were no full-length mirrors in this room. Although I had to keep the air conditioner on all the time, I slept like a baby! The street noise did not really bother me.

No, there is no full breakfast. It really is Otis Spunkmeyer muffins, juice and coffee. But for the price of the rooms, you really can't expect a big breakfast spread! I went to the grocery store and had everything I needed and wanted in my own room. All very convenient!

Upon my return a few days later, I was placed in the room right next to the lobby; handicapped accessible (while not my favorite, it's not bad). I had a very late check-in (after midnight), and the front desk was open until 2am. This room was much larger than my previous room, with a closet with mirrored doors, but the shower left a lot to be desired (handicapped accessible, so the shower head was really low), and there was absolutely no counter space or shelf by the vanity. I got a little creative with the valise stand and my suitcase, so it worked out just fine. One BIG bonus with this room was the wi-fi! Being right next to the lobby, I could log on to the wi-fi from my room. Made the shower not so important.

The BIG drawback was the bugs. I call them monster cockroaches, they call them Date Palm Beetles. Regardless, I had one dead one by my toilet and one very much alive one in my closet (which a very nice man killed for me and flushed down the toilet). My final night there was a dying one by my fridge, and the morning of check out, there was a live one on the wall. They NEVER flew on me or even touched me, but...ugh. I would strongly suggest more frequent visits from the exterminator! Note--no bugs at all in the first room, and only bugs on my first and final night of my second stay. They were not a constant presence.

The other major advantage of my second room (aside from the price!) was the central air. Kept everything very comfortable! Again, I was on the street side, but that did not bother me.

I truly enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend this hotel, not only for the value, but for the true boutique feel. I prefer to cook my own meals, and the kitchens really made that easy for me. Parking can be a challenge, but the one night I didn't have a place, the girls at the front desk moved their cars so I could park right on the hotel property.

The final kicker for me was the personal service AFTER I checked out. I left something of value in my room and the General Manger, Gonzolo Rodriguez, went WELL above and beyond to get it returned to me. That kind of personal service is what we all should expect, but, sadly, know that it's rare. Mr. Rodriguez took customer service to a whole new level with me that day.

• Stayed August 2006