“fantastic place, ignore the doubters”

Parker Palm Springs
Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
A TripAdvisor Member
“fantastic place, ignore the doubters”
Reviewed June 28, 2006

stayed at the Parker over 4 days last week in 118 degrees heatwave and found the hotel and staff absolutely top class. Was on a trip that invloved stays at the Soho Grand in New York, Viceroy in LA and the Parker, and the Parker stood out by miles.
Originally booked through tablet website standard room, but then noticed spa offer on their own website so sent an e-mail requesting that i could change my booking, this was done without question, and the experience was heavenly.
The rooms and hotel were cool without a hint of pretension and without the attitude that affects so many boutique hotels, but what really lifted this place was the staff. From bell boy to manager, no-one could stop offering a fantastic service in oven-like conditions. The restaurant was especially good, with extra mentions to michael and elana for their fantastic service.
This hotel is one of a kind, undoubtedly not for everyone, but if you get it, you'll love it.
Can't wait to return,

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Reviewed June 6, 2006

I've now stayed at the Parker 4 times - traveling on business- and have had each stay better the the one before. The staff was friendly and helpfule everytime I needed something. I enjoy the fact it is not a MEGA-Hotel or, a tourist trap in the Downtown area. I love the rooms, grounds and restaurants. Having traveled all over the world, it's refreshing not to stay in a "typical" hotel. This is a unique property and if you don't have an open mind - then stay elsewhere!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 27, 2006

The hotel looks great from the outside. The gardens and the inside is nice. However, the staff especially the front office staff is just terrible. I checked in at the evening hours and had to deal with a very unprofessional group of staff members. The front office supervisor was rude and did not want to solve our problem. We were there to check in but had to wait and then when we got to our room, it had dirty ugly stains on the carpet. She would not help us at all. The effect of the place is beautiful but the prices and the service was the worst i have ever experienced. It seems for the high rates and prices, they could get good experienced and nice staff.. guess not.. overall, the parker is not what it claims to be.. It would be better to stay at the Holiday Inn or The Viceroy.....or anywhere else in Palm Springs..

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 26, 2006

I happened to stay at the Parker by pure accident. I was in Palm Springs, supposedly staying with friends. When that went awry, I found myself without a place to stay and the Parker was nearby. It was 10 at night, I was distraught, and having read the mixed reviews, I was a little hesitant, but the reception offered me a choice of three rooms,all well below the rack rate. I settled for one with a patio and a hammock normally just over 400 a night, for 280. The lobby and public areas were so fantastic that I could not wait to examine them in detail. I was lead to my room (218) way across the other side of the property,( I believe several acres),which seemed at night like an intriguingly landscaped maze of meandering paths, illuminated yet mysterious. My room had a 4 poster bed, with high thread count sheets, duvet and feather pillows. Furniture was a combination of sixties, modern and Hollywood Regency, and included cool touches like old books like titles like Valley of the Dolls and a bathroom well stocked with mini toiletries from Molton Brown, Hermes, Erno Lazlo etc.
The following morning I tried Norma's cafe for breakfast. The fresh muesli came wrapped in sliced mango and my tea, strong as I had requested, was made in a french press. French songsfrom the 60's permeated the air, which just added to the general feeling of nostalgia for a bygone era and a certain je ne sais quoi. I cannot wait to return

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank lavitaedolce
LA
Reviewed May 17, 2006

In reading some of the reviews here I wonder if they stayed at the same hotel that I did!

The Place
From the moment you pull up to the big white entrance and are greeted by 10 smiling faces you know that this is a special place. The lobby feels like someone's country manor, suits or armor, Cheterfield sofa, open fireplace, and staff everywhere.

The gardens are so inviting and comfortable that you just want to hang out in them. At night they are positively magical. Get a drink and sit by the fire.

The rooms are not your typical Marriott, but they are also not too cool W. They are eclectic and fun: super comfortable.

We had great treatments in the spa, and loved the 2 restaurants (try the duck confit in Mr. Parker's).

The Staff

So nice! Every person we came across was super friendly and really made us feel like they cared. Things got done quickly and well.

Overall

This one of the best resorts I have ever been in, you should not miss it!

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank padreloco
Reviewed May 14, 2006

The staff in the pink jacket that greeted us was very helpful and welcoming although he shared a bad news that our room was not ready, he was kind enough to at least offer us complimentary bottle of water on our arrival. He assured us that he will contact us and follow up on the room availability which he did later. He has an earpiece that he talks to the back office (I'm guessing) it happens that one of the bell man's radio was on and we can hear how the person is responding to our welcoming staff. The woman on the radio was very rude and had said that "if we don't want to wait we can go somewhere else". The guy in pink jacket was so stunned and speechless that we heard this and just told us that the girl was just joking. I guess it's his way of protecting our feelings from harshness.

The concierge a tiny older man seemed very unenthusiastic about helping us because we must have disturbed him from his "other" duties. He just then proceeded on telling us that if we need anything we can just dial "0" from our room.

The management as I can tell are very green and very inexperienced in working at hotels, there seems to be a lot of "there's nothing I can do" attitude especially coming from the assistant front office manager. This girl seemed to have worked at a penitentiary before, just doesn't know how to handle guest services situations. Simple request from someone who is paying $645/night for a ripped off motel style room - what you will hear is "there's nothing I can do about it". Lucky for us, we saw the same guy that welcomed us in the beginning and straightened out our situation the following morning. This guy handled everything with such grace and professionalism better than the long haired "Alice in wonderland" assistant front office manager.

I can get better service at 2 or 3 star hotels than this pretentious "unhappy chic" place.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 5, 2006

The Parker Hotel is terribly loud and noisy. I am a fan of the whole lounge/hotel thing-(W hotels are one of my fav's) but this place sucks! The bar/lounge area is directly under an entire block of rooms-the floors literally shook from the music below me. The Parker tries so hard to be uber-cool that it seems to miss the most important thing - the comfort of its guests. I paid $250 for my room - is it too much to ask that I don't have to wear earplugs while Im in it? I called down at 6:30 to complain about the noise and the operater barked at me and said the music stops ealy-10pm and it shouldn't be such a bother to me. He then suggested that if I I shelled out another $80 he would move me to a quieter room. Don't stay here-come to the spa or to the lounge(believe me-its happening) but stay at the Lodge or Zorro....anywhere but the Parker.

18 Thank LiSSA S
#35 of 73 in Palm Springs
Ace Hotel and Swim Club
Ace Hotel and Swim Club
#14 of 73 in Palm Springs

Been to Parker Palm Springs? Share your experiences!