“Hotel has gone downhill in past year!”

Parker Palm Springs
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Washington, D.C.
“Hotel has gone downhill in past year!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Last year our experience at this was great however this time things are much different! We paid for a suite, a couple of tiers above a standard room with a "double patio." The room was adjacent to the laundry room where the laundry noise necessitated that we keep our patio door closed if we wanted to hear the tv! However our "double patio" was adjacent to the street so the traffic noise penetrated the room anyhow. While mgmt. didn't deny the noise, poor location, and lack of any attractive view whatsoever, they would only move us to another room if we paid for an upgrade!
Breakfast for four, without any alcohol or extras, was $200! The waitress was awful and the food was marginal. The pool lunch menu has approx. 8 items on it yet they were out of two of them (one being hotdogs)! To get anything else, the wait was one hour!
The management was not interested in resolving any problems brought to their attn. by guests, several of which had voiced complaints.

Room Tip: Do not book a room with a patio facing the road or parking lot!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AlexaR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Grounds and decor are beautiful and fresh. My room was bright and cheerful and modern. Bar area sparkled and felt like a cool hideaway in a movie star's estate. My only issue with the Parker is the fact that they seem to slip in hidden charges and inflate your bill. For example, I was there on a spa special and they had conveniently rigged it so the $200 credit for the spa was exactly the price for a treatment. They also charged $40 on top of that for something I didn't buy (I had the charge removed). In most places a massage doesn't cost $200, so there is an artificial inflation built in. Same thing with the bar area: food was decent enough but far overpriced, but by the time you are in the hotel it's too much trouble to leave. So I guess they've got you where they want you. Anyway, the point is, this hotel is lovely but you will spend far more than you expected (or that you even explicitly chose to pay) on food, beverages, and extras.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Veronica S
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

A: nothing, its perfect!

Seriously we just spent a wonderful 3 days by the pool(s) last weekend at the Parker in Palm Springs, and I cannot find anything bad to say about it! ... it was simply superb!

We originally went for a Jr King Suite but the only one available was right next to the lobby so we requested a change and got a Lanai room which was just as nice if not better (more private).

The hotel itself is very fun... the decor quirky and interesting, the rooms are comfortable and clean, and the staff in all locations are great.

We had drinks in the lounge bar, and a wonderful dinner in Mr Parker's the 1st night, our waiter was simply wonderful, and the food and wine were second to none ... in an interesting location.

Norma's for breakfast is a lot of fun, and room service is spectacularly efficient.

The Lemonade Stand is a fun place for a cocktail or a spot of lunch and the pools (especially the adult only one) are perfect.

Since it was a bit chilly one day we hid in the spa and had a pedicure followed by a lounge in the indoor hot tubs ...

all in all I dont think our weekend could have been better .... kudos Parker ... see you again soon!

Room Tip: I would avoid the main/south bldg, especially the Jr King suite "1 South"... we opted to c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
nycres
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a lovely getaway for outdoor private relaxation on grounds and in a city which will give you an imagination of what paradise looks like. The spa on grounds is something out of this world. The nicest I've ever seen, by far. Service is great! Rooms are retro style and you got to love that to enjoy. Only issue I had was that the bathtub was old and dirty.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to some, but not to everyone. The grounds are beautiful and make for a relaxing "oasis" in the desert. The staff, I found to be very friendly and helpful. And if Jonathan Adler and mid-century kitsch are your thing, then you will love it. However, it is not my cup of tea in terms of design aesthetic. We stayed in an Estate room, which was quite basic. Yes, they've added nice design touches, but the building itself is old and it shows. The bathroom fixtures were old (maybe they want to keep the "retro" look?), the light switches, electrical outlets, base boards... all were old. All those small details that if you look close enough, give away the quality and age of a place. So that diminished the feeling of luxury. Perhaps the pricier rooms are more updated. We spent three nights here in January and found it to be too much. I am not a sun-worshiper and can not spend hours or days sitting by the pool, thanks to my fair complexion. So a vacation that revolves around that is not my favorite. But again, for people who do like that, this would be a great place. The desert is always sunny (and I am constantly trying to escape the sun) and the pool here is lovely. And the lemonade drinks they serve are very good and the perfect complement. I would imagine that this would be a wonderful place to visit if you came from the east coast or somewhere with really cold winters to spend a few days in the warmth with clear skies and palm trees. Lastly, the Norma's here is, unfortunately, not as good as the Norma's in NY, and that was one of the reasons why we chose to stay here.

Room Tip: If your budget allows, go with something other than the basic, Estate rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I always look forward to my stay at the Parker.
On this short trip, I was staying on Points and as the Hotel was fully booked, No Platinum upgrades were available - Well, I still ended up with a Fantastic room. Clean, spacious, and as comfortable as ever. I just wish I had more time to enjoy all of the Hotel amenities!

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room. Some do seem small after staying in one of the upgraded rooms, If you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My bed was extremely comfortable and my room was above average. The decor was funky yet still hip and the restaurant service was excellent. I stayed for business, but would certainly return for pleasure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business