“Beautiful Grounds - Be Careful with the Food”

Parker Palm Springs
Ranked #28 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Kauai, Hawaii
“Beautiful Grounds - Be Careful with the Food”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Parker is one of my favorite places in Palm Springs area. The grounds are beautiful, fun, and entertaining. I've visited here a few times in the last 12 months, and spent my last birthday here (surprise gift from boyfriend). Here is a summary of my latest experience:

Guest Services - after arriving I had limited amount of time to eat before my spa appointment. It was a challenge to find someone to help, then to get help from the girl who just arrived for her shift. Finally was able to order the tuna cobb salad, which was awful.

Spa - not the prettiest. Tiny changing room. Disappointing amenities in the changing room. Rough robe that smelled like fish. While sitting in the waiting room I contemplated getting into the hot tub in the nude, as would be normal at Burke Williams or Canyon Ranch Spas. Thankfully right before I acted upon my thought, a gentlemen walked into what I now knew was a co-ed waiting room. Think that should be pointed out as it's not a standard amongst spas. My appointment was for a sugar scrub, which was nice as they usually are. The scrub and balm used smelled great and were gentle on my sensitive skin. My skin glowed after the treatment. I was happy to be able to plug my iPhone and play my own music. Was disgusted to find some sort of dirt on the shower curtain in my treatment room. Almost fell on the floor, as my feet were oily after the scrub and you have to get up and walk to the shower to rinse off, yet the floor was not secured with any towels - accident waiting to happen. In the treatment room many electric cords are exposed on the ground, giving the impression of cheap, unthoughtful design. Overall it was a nice and relaxing experience.

Rooms - cute design. Nice bathroom amenities. No food or snacks in the room, at all. Fridge only has beer, water and coke - very strange. No modern amenities like dock for my iPhone. Pretty hard mattress. Overall enjoyable for the $200 a night rate, not more.

Grounds - I love the grounds' design. Tall bushes creating walls, bunnies running around, hummingbirds, fire pit is lovely at night, yet the chairs are extremely uncomfortable. The lounge area outside of the restaurant is great for relaxing in the evening. I love the hammocks, but wish they were also made from comfortable fabric not the painful rope design.

Pools - Family pool is nice, yet the water looked hazardous to get into (super dirty). The adult pool is pretty with palms in the background, comfortable lounge chairs, umbrellas and nice towels. Service is ok - takes a while to get their attention.

FOOD - this is the biggest issue for me with this property (and most places in Palm Springs for that matter). The salad I had for lunch was very questionable. For my $200 birthday dinner I was convinced by the waiter to order their most popular dish - the ribs. They can call it whatever they want, all it really is is butter, butter, butter with some more butter. Eating it was not enjoyable. Feeling sick for three hours on my birthday after eating the dish was also not enjoyable. Finally throwing up that awful dish was the highlight of my birthday evening. So, be very careful ordering anything from Mr. Parker, Norma's or Lemonade. When I ate there last year the food was good. I don't know what happened, chef or manager change? Food is simply dangerous here. The only dish that felt safe and ok was the Falafel by the pool. I'd stay away from meats, fish, and dairy here.

All in all I will probably be back to enjoy tea in the lounge, stroll on the grounds and lay in the hammock for a bit on my next visit to Palm Springs. I do appreciate that they allow small dogs and my little one loves hanging out with us. Especially in the bird nest chairs hanging from the ceiling in the lounge. I might even buy one of their spa-room deals for a girl's weekend, as the weather in Palm Springs is a lovely escape from cold Los Angeles nights (in Palm Springs evenings are warm so you can relax in shorts or a dress - a treat from the sweater at night weather in LA). But I will be extremely careful ordering food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kayamaya
ParkerPalmSprings, General Manager at Parker Palm Springs, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear kayamaya,

mister parker's, Norma's and the Lemonade Stand are recognized individually as top notch dining options. We are very happy with the accolades we receive but we are never satisfied! The Parker Palm Springs has a unique view on luxury and we always looks for ways to further enhance the experience.

After several months of searching for a truly talented individual we have found a new Executive Chef to head the culinary team here at the Parker Palm Springs.

Let me know the next time you're in town and I'll be sure to introduce you.

Warm regards,

Brandon McCurley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

This place is way overrated and over priced.

Pool: Nothing to write home about. The pool at our apartment building at home is nicer and bigger. The pools here at the Parker are actually quite dingy and tiny; I didn't even want to get in the adults pool.

Room: I'm sitting in the room typing this up now and it's ok. It's very spacious and has nice toiletries. However, the pillowcases aren't exactly clean. One of them has what looks like a dried booger on it. It's pretty gross but since there are four pillows we just threw that one on the floor. Oh and the shower is dingy. The curtain looks dirty and the space is small so you can't help but accidentally touch it a lot. Oh and there was a fly in the room when we got in.

Grounds: I guess they're ok but we just came back from dinner in town and we saw a cockroach outside our building. Barf.

For 350/nite plus a $30 resort fee (what a joke bc really this is an amped up motel) I'd rather stay somewhere else. This is not what I have come to expect from a Starwood hotel.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank fliesfromsjc
ParkerPalmSprings, General Manager at Parker Palm Springs, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear fliesfromsjc,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Being a luxury Estate we find having several pools and areas to relax provides a more intimate atmosphere and lends itself to a personalized experience that is welcomed by our loyal guests.

We are always disappointed when our style is not what a guest is looking for but we do admit that we are not for everybody.

I see no notations of you bringing your concerns to our attention during your stay. If you would give us the opportunity, we would like to look into this matter further and obtain more specifics. Please feel free to contact me directly at bmccurley@parkerpalmsprings.com.

Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I think they thought I was Nick Nolte because they brought me a drink at the check-in counter. I stayed there for a few hours, eating nuts and ordering more drinks. I thought maybe my room wasn't ready or something because everytime I asked about it the receptionist gave me a funny look and laughed. On the plus side I was able to order light food. Still a bit baffled by the experience.

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Paulo C
ParkerPalmSprings, General Manager at Parker Palm Springs, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Paulo C,

We're glad you appreciated the complimentary Lemonade provided upon arrival and had the opportunity to relax in the Living Room.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Orange County, California
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We would have given the Parker four or five stars if it weren't for the strong mildew smell in our room (Room 67). The grounds were beautiful, the restaurants had great food, and the room, while smallish, was well decorated and comfortable. The service was generally friendly and professional. But how do you charge the rates the Parker charges for a mildew-ey room? We're not picky travelers, and I don't normally complain about odors like some people, but this was undeniable. The smell smacks you in the face every time you enter the room, and lingers afterwards.

Other than that, everything else was great.

Room Tip: Room 67 smells like mildew.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Bsnvs,

Thank you for your observations. We are happy that your overall experience was so positive.

We have a Perfect Room program in place that ensures every room receives a complete make over twice a year.

Additionally, our incredible Housekeeping team takes great pride in ensuring every room is presented perfectly on a daily basis. Any imperfection is reported and addressed immediately..

Please contact me at bmccurley@parkerpalmsprings.com if you would be willing to discuss your observations further.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Hi, I have traveled far and wide and have NEVER been so mistreated any where. My husband and I booked the Parker for a wedding that we were attending at the Parker. I telephoned the hotel the Monday before our weekend arrival and told them that although we were paying for Friday night, we would not arrive until Saturday. (the hotel booking was a 2 night minimum and the wedding was Sat. night) We arrived at 5:00 for the 6:00 wedding and were told that 3 rooms had had plumbing problems and they had to give our room away. The front desk manager further stated that she had to turn other guests away also. After much discussion I stated that I had to get dressed for the wedding and that i anticipated that she would find me at the wedding to update me with her solution. We changed in the spa and went to the wedding. I never heard from her. At midnight I found her at the front desk and she stated that she had found us a room at a random hotel near by and that the charge of that hotel was $279 AND that I would be charged for my no show on Friday night! Without going into all of the details, and there are plenty, the front desk manager stated that she could not get ahold of any general manager that night (although two weddings were on the premises0 and that was all that she could do. My husband and I drove home to Los Angeles at 1 AM and got home at 3 AM.
I expected to at least receive a phone call of apologizes on Sunday. However, Sunday went by, Monday went by and on Tuesday I called and spoke to the assistant to the general manager Brendan. I explained the entire saga and she assured me that i would hear back that day. I did get a phone call, NOT from Brendan but from the front desk woman, Debra, who had spoken with us on Saturday night.
No, there was no apology, only the comment that they had decided not to charge me for Friday night and to offer me an upgrade any time that I wanted to pay to stay at The Parker!!!
I responded that after no apology and the hoorible treatment that i received I would not ever pay to stay there... The Parker sent me an email showing that i was not charged for the room and with no letter of apology AGAIN and no offer of upgrade that was offered to me on the phone.
I plead with anyone reading this, DO NOT STAY at THE PARKER! They are rude and unaccomodating and unhelpful to their guests. They run a hotel with no concern for hospitality.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank smitch20524
Dear smitch20524.

We are obviously sorry that you were not able to stay with us during your recent trip to Palm Springs. Unfortunately we are not at all in agreement with your take on what happened.

You made a reservation for arrival on Friday night, for 2 nights. There is no record of a call received the prior Monday. When you did show up later in the afternoon our staff did everything they could to help you get ready for the wedding you were attending, finding you a place to change and freshen up.

We made arrangements for you to stay at a nearby hotel, and subsequently waived your no-show charge.
Gibsons
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Our family treated us to a stay at The Parker, Palm Springs. This hotel was chosen because they know we love mid-century modern and the lounge resembles our living room. They rented 'the Lanaii' room for us, which was a large corner suite and very private. They surprised us with an anniversary dinner on our patio, decorated in pink and orange lanterns and a chinese 60's vibe as we had our weddding brunch in a Chinese restaurant. The meal was reminiscent of our filet mignon wrapped in bacon with pancakes and champagne wedding brunch. They served mini blueberry pancakes with maple syrup for appetizers, and filet mignon wrapped in bacon for dinner. Dessert was a fabulous red velvet cake decorated like a wedding cake, tooo scrumptious for words! The staff were superb in every aspect, down to the last detail! It was all more than we could have ever dreamed! All 10 of us loved it and we will come back to 'our home away from home'. Can't wait!

Room Tip: We loved the Lanaii corner suite close to the family pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Linda C,

Congratulations on your 40th Anniversary. We're so happy you chose to spend this special occasion with us. The Parker team relish the opportunity to create memories and provide personalized experiences.

The Lanai's are incredible with the patio and direct access to the pool. Great choice.

Please call me the next time you're planning a return trip to your Palm Springs "home".

New York City
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We've been going to the Coachella Music Festival for 10 years and always stay the week before at a Palm Springs hotel. For seven of those 10 years we've shunned the Parker...I mean really went out of our way to not even consider staying there. We didn't care how good the reviews were and we embraced the vitriolic reviews.

To be honest, we feel a bit silly now that we broke down and stayed there this year but not without a fight within ourselves! We started the week at the new Saugero down the street - it's nice enough but it's already showing age and it's been open all of 75 days. We liked the bright style but it does feel a bit like a Holiday Inn on acid. The worst bit and not anything the hotel can do were the kids...kids... young kids...everywhere...58 degrees and barely 9am and they were in the pool. Nothing against kids but we were shocked, probably because we don't have any but seriously never even thought about it. Turns out it was spring break and the hotel had some crazy $100 a night deal that brought them out in droves. I digress....

We changed our rez to the Parker at the suggestion of another guest who raved about it. We closed our eyes and made the jump into the Parker deep end. We loved it. The decor is mondo fab if you're into that thing (we are). The room was impeccable but we were a little underwhelmed by the bathroom but the Hermes, Penhaligon 's, AND Bulgari amenities do make up for it - yep, we took all of them with us and felt appropriately like "I can't believe we're doing this". We were in a king bedded second floor room with a view of the smaller pool. We've already booked a Villa for next years Coachella (guessing that it's a two weekend set up again next year makes guessing dates for a hotel easier). Here's our rundown:

From the street impression: nada because there is nothing to see which is typical in PS.

Valet - quick and professional with young guys in smart outfits.

Bags - whisked them away for storage while we waited for our room. We were called when the room was ready and our bags were in it when we went to the room.

Checking-in: again quick and efficient but I would note that everyone once in awhile it would be nice to be offered something else or a choice. You know what I mean? Just that extra little step that no brand does anymore. Caveat being if they are fully booked or you're on some cheap rate but you get my drift.

Inside impression: just look at the pics on this sight...it's just like that. Adler did a great job and the place just smells of retro (literally, but in a good way). Lots of young-ish, pretty hipsters. Smattering of older, probably were kick butt socialites in their day but still can shine at the Parker with that attitude of "hey, you call this retro but we call this a lifestyle". All well to do without a doubt.

Brunch/Lunch at Norma's: we thought it was quite good and the service was very good. The smoothie of the day was outrageously good (we had three of them...it was vacation).

Room impression: very crisp, clean with a pleasing neutral tone with pops of color. Very nice. The art added to the overall aura of the space.

Gardens: crazy nice and just a wee bit spooky at night. We found the lighting just a bit dark and the addition of some strategic uplighting would enhance the gardens at night. Seems like everyone gets lost a few times or we like to think so because we certainly did. We fell in love with the gardens....felt magical getting lost in them.

Our single biggest complaint and you might say it's nit picky...we were in the north building but noticed the same thing on the south building. The hideous, style killing, grocery store style entrance doors into the buildings. Seriously, I saw the doors and it was like yanking a needle off the record. They are just ugly, out of place, noisy and were in need of a good dose of Windex the entire length of our stay.

Checking out: we left for the airport at 5:15am so needless to say....it was a breeze.

Overall - we loved it and plan on staying there nine nights next year. We have a Villa but might change to a Lanai room. They seem more socially oriented with access off a great patio space to the gardens and the pools. We'll flip a coin in about six months and decide.

Hope you find this helpful in making a decision to stay at the Parker and your stay is as good as ours.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that look out on anything other than the gardens!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SFOtoJFK
Dear SFOtoJFK,

Thank goodness for weak moments! We are ecstatic you broke down after such an extended period of resistance and finally made the leap. You got to experience everything we pride ourselves on from superb service, to very cool Johnathan Adler design and spectacular grounds.

Don't wait too long for making your reservations next year. We sell out well in advance.

Please feel free to contact me at any time at bmccurley@parkerpalmsprings.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Springs
#35 of 73 in Palm Springs
Ace Hotel and Swim Club
Ace Hotel and Swim Club
#17 of 73 in Palm Springs

Been to Parker Palm Springs? Share your experiences!