“Nice place, but needs patio chairs”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #43 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed March 14, 2006

Nice rooms for the price, kind of boutique, great pool. However, they could used some patio chairs so you can sit outside your room. The continental breakfast was bad, just some pastries in a plastic bag, coffee, tea and juice. They have a lot of rules and seemed kind of strict, like charging you for the pool towels if you don't bring them back to front desk. Desk clerks weren't very friendly.. is that a common thing in Palm Springs? The desk clerk at the Shilo was very nice.

But for the price, I'd probably stay here again because it's close to the action, the rooms are nice, the pool is nice, has a Mexican restaurant on the location.

1  Thank TennisFan247
There are newer reviews for Caliente Tropics Resort

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 6, 2006

I stayed for ll days. I enjoyed the pool. The room was fine(carpet needed shampooed). Breakfast was okay. I would stay there again, but hopefully they have the message part of the telephone in room 301 fixed and also we had a lot of trouble with our key working. We asked three times to have the phone looked at, but to no avail. Enjoyed the giant size towels, great bedding, and maid service. Location is super.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2006

I checked trip Trip Advisor before booking this hotel as I do with all my hotel bookings. I was only needing a 1 night hotel stay and went with The Caliente Tropics. My expectations were not high but I was plesently surprised.

The hotel looks more like an upscale motel upon driving into the registration parking area but the Lobby was much nicer. Staff was pleasent and pool towels offered.

The room was clean, bed and pillows were extremley comfortable, a small refrigerator and safe were in the room also. Even though the hotel was full there was not a problem with noise and my sleep was undisturbed. Air conditioner was old but it worked fine.

The pool area and jacuzzi are clean and well maintained and the restaurant next door will sell you margaritas in a plastic cup so you can take pool side.

Overall experience was good and I will return without hesitation.

5  Thank Eddiesmom98
Reviewed February 26, 2006

Very please with everything--super beds, great towels especially the beach towels. Check in was fast-service-top notch. One of the quietest motel we have ever stayed in. Pool--clean, large and beautiful. Only problem we encountered was poor working key cards and dirty rugs, otherwise housekeeping was excellent. Thanks for everything. This motel has an excellent location to everthing.--BUT--do not eat at Lyons English Grill--they are the rudest people in Palm Springs unless you order $40 plate food.

3  Thank Darlene A
A TripAdvisor Member
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed February 24, 2006

I just got back from Cliente Tropics resort on the long weekend. Do not stay here. I booked the hotel through Expedia. My flight got cancelled and I never got there till a latter date. The hotel would not do anything to refund my money for the time I was not there. They said they were sold out and easily could give room to someone else since I gave them lots of notice but because they will get the money from Expedia they will take it and will not help me out. They were very arogant about it and seemed extremely greedy. When I did check in eventually they said there was no rooms left bought fought and got a room-wierd since I was paying for it already and would not be refunded? Expedia was no help....never to be used again either. Trip cost an extra $1000 as had to fly to anotehr city...get a hotel with out reservation then drive across the western US to get to the hotel.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 12, 2006

A very comfortable bed and very nicely decorated. The linens were high quality with good bed pillows. The continental breakfast was minimal but as stated. The hot tub was not hot enough for me to go in but probably fine for others. I would stay here again.

4  Thank Feltontraveller
Reviewed February 6, 2006

I booked a basic king deluxe room with one day's notice for a Monday night at $51. The hotel website listed no availability for that night, for that room, but hotels.com had four rooms. The desk clerk was friendly, but was new and couldn't really say why no rooms were listed. At any rate, this is certainly the nicest room I've had at that rate during season. It was quite clean, although nit=pickers might notice a stain or two on the carpet or ceiling above the shower. The quality of pillows, linens, toiletries (just soap, shampoo, and body lotion, no conditioner) were well above budget-level competion. As others mentioned, a refrigerator, coffee maker and hair dryer are provided. Phone calls are not free, however, starting with a $1/call charge and .25 cents a minute. There are a few local stations on the TV, but it is an odd assortment of channels. I had one of the rooms on the upper floor, facing the mountains, which was very nice. My unit was toward the back and I did not hear any street noise. The breakfast is quite pathetic, unless you like Otis Spunkmeyer muffins and weak coffee. The Tiki decor does make this location stand out from cookie cutter budget chains. I was pleasantly surprised and would consider a return visit. Apparently the pool-adjacent tiki bar does not open until summertime, a bit of a disappointment but probably better for restful nights.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business