“Ripped off by staff, very poor service”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #45 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
A TripAdvisor Member
“Ripped off by staff, very poor service”
Reviewed February 24, 2006

I just got back from Cliente Tropics resort on the long weekend. Do not stay here. I booked the hotel through Expedia. My flight got cancelled and I never got there till a latter date. The hotel would not do anything to refund my money for the time I was not there. They said they were sold out and easily could give room to someone else since I gave them lots of notice but because they will get the money from Expedia they will take it and will not help me out. They were very arogant about it and seemed extremely greedy. When I did check in eventually they said there was no rooms left bought fought and got a room-wierd since I was paying for it already and would not be refunded? Expedia was no help....never to be used again either. Trip cost an extra $1000 as had to fly to anotehr city...get a hotel with out reservation then drive across the western US to get to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Felton, CA
Reviewed February 12, 2006

A very comfortable bed and very nicely decorated. The linens were high quality with good bed pillows. The continental breakfast was minimal but as stated. The hot tub was not hot enough for me to go in but probably fine for others. I would stay here again.

4 Thank Feltontraveller
california
Reviewed February 6, 2006

I booked a basic king deluxe room with one day's notice for a Monday night at $51. The hotel website listed no availability for that night, for that room, but hotels.com had four rooms. The desk clerk was friendly, but was new and couldn't really say why no rooms were listed. At any rate, this is certainly the nicest room I've had at that rate during season. It was quite clean, although nit=pickers might notice a stain or two on the carpet or ceiling above the shower. The quality of pillows, linens, toiletries (just soap, shampoo, and body lotion, no conditioner) were well above budget-level competion. As others mentioned, a refrigerator, coffee maker and hair dryer are provided. Phone calls are not free, however, starting with a $1/call charge and .25 cents a minute. There are a few local stations on the TV, but it is an odd assortment of channels. I had one of the rooms on the upper floor, facing the mountains, which was very nice. My unit was toward the back and I did not hear any street noise. The breakfast is quite pathetic, unless you like Otis Spunkmeyer muffins and weak coffee. The Tiki decor does make this location stand out from cookie cutter budget chains. I was pleasantly surprised and would consider a return visit. Apparently the pool-adjacent tiki bar does not open until summertime, a bit of a disappointment but probably better for restful nights.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank mlgb
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed January 17, 2006

As others have reported, this is not much of a hotel or resort, but when viewed as a motel, it is really nice!

First off, we paid $125 for two nights. The management was friendly, nice, and helpful. The location was perfect, not too far from downtown Palm Springs and a short drive from Rancho Mirage/Cathedral City. The motel is situated in a U-shape around the motel lobby building and pool with two stories and parking directly in front of the rooms.

Our room (#150) was on the lower level, near the stairs, so I can picture the noise being a problem for many: we could hear the cars parked by our room start up, see their headlights at night, and also hear people clomping down the stairs. We could also hear the people in the room above us. The noise didn't really bother us though (we are durable college students) but if you can see it being a problem, you should request for a second floor room.

The room itself was quite a surprise: it was much nicer than we expected, especially for the price. The exterior of hotel was slightly tacky, but the interior tiki theme was nice. There is a small TV, about 19", with most major cable channels. Be aware that they do not get local channels so we missed the 24 season premiere. There was also a comfy couch in the room which helped to block the headlights that sometimes shone through the window. The bed was just as comfortable as everyone else has reported, with down pillows. Ours was a king sized bed, which was more than big enough. The sheets were crisp and clean. I was surprised to find an ample desk area, a coffee pot for brewing, AND a refrigerator. There is also a closet with wooden hangers, and an ironing board and iron provided if you should need it. The sink is situated outside of the actual bathroom itself, but we didn't mind. There are also plenty of mirrors and a mini blow dryer is provided. The towels were clean and we did not use the maid service (I dislike them coming into my room).

Be advised though, there is no internet connection. As another user has reported, you need dial-up if you plan on connecting to the net. We brought a laptop with a wireless G card, and were able to catch an unsecured signal for some internet time.

Other pluses include some breakfast served early in the morning. It wasn't really good, but still, provided. There were danishes and muffins by Otis Spunkmeyer and watered down orange juice. The breakfast was served alongside the pool area, which was popular with the other guests later on in the day. We thought the weather was going to be cold, and didn't know the pool was very heated, so did not bring our swimsuits.

The only other problem was the leaky tub spout. It was a slight nuisance, but we kept the bathroom door closed so that the noise couldn't really be heard.

Lastly, we were not able to try the restaurant on the motel's grounds. It was pretty popular on the weekends though.

Overall, the place has a motel look from the exterior, but the interior is as nice as a top rated hotel, save for minor nuisances. With such a cheap rate, we will definitely be staying here again the next time we visit Palm Springs.

• Stayed January 2006
10 Thank punksjunk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 16, 2006

I arrived at this hotel on December 31, for 2 nights. I reserved a 1 king bed non-smoking at a very good rate. The room was clean, bathroom amenities were by Givenchy, and furniture was almost new.
The only thing was that the front desk staff seemed to be new or had no customer service skills. This started when I made the reservation over the phone it took her 25 minutes to book 2 nights. Then she emailed me a confirmation, and got the dates wrong! When I checked out I requested and extra hour because I had been feeling sick that day, and she very abruptly told me that if I stayed that I would incur a $50 dollar penalty. She added, "What do you want me to do? I have a lobby full of guests that are all trying to check out at the same time." Not good!
When I arrived at home I emailed the management and 3 weeks later I have yet to hear from anyone.
Overall I'd stay there again, but you definitely have to have patience when dealing with the front desk staff.

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 16, 2006

For the price it cannot be beat... we paid $55 for two double beds and were able to visit Palm Springs for an extra day due to the great rate we received at this hotel. I think you have to book a few weeks in advance to get a really great rate, but with a little planning, this could work to one's advantage to plan a bit. Nice location, not much noise. Very little parking and very tight, so plan your trips carefully in this regard. Nice clean simple rooms, vending machine pastries and juice/coffee for breakfast, but fine with us for such a short stay. Nice staff as well. Upon check-in you are presented with a rather long info sheet to read... read it carefully before you sign. For example, you are subject to a $300 charge if you burn a candle in your room and the smell lingers after your departure! Also, there are a couple of signs to read at both entrances... something about the hotel staff having the right to drive your vehicle under certain circumstances. Forgot to inquire as to what that meant when I was checking out. But such a nice little quaint hotel for the price. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank Thomas H
Reviewed January 15, 2006

Well, first let me tell you that i always check out hotels here at tripadvisor before booking a room. This hotel is one of the top rated ones and the prices are extremely affordable for what you get. This is a motel, not fancy and stuck up at all. The rooms are very nicely decorated with the tiki theme. And this is a pet friendly hotel, which i did not mention to my boyfriend, because he is an animal hater, but the rooms are extremely clean, no smells, or stains anywhere. The bed is the most comfortable, no problems sleeping. The bathrooms are small, shower and toilet, this area does need a bit more care by management, the sink is outside with a huge mirror, which is great, so more than one person can get ready at the same time. The only complain i heard from my lovely boyfriend is that the tv was too small!! Its fine, but we have a flat screen at home so you do feel a difference. The pool area is very nice and well maintained. The staff is nice and helpful. The location is great close to palm springs, cathedral city, rancho mirage. Its a very nice city, it was our first time there. Everyone who goes should do the aeriel tram and the mineral pools. I will from now on stay at caliente tropics when i visit palm springs.

happy travels.