“BAD MANAGMENT”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Paris,idaho
Reviewed June 5, 2005

The title says it all, and the staff are rude. The hotel is great but they need a new staff.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,335)

Reviewed June 2, 2005

The room was spacious, nothing too fancy but clean and tidy. The best part was the pool. We stayed on a Friday night for 88 bucks, not bad - not very close to downtown by the way.
We liked how the pool had torches lit at night and was big and deep. The front counter guys were horrible and rude. Took their sweet time, and seemed as if they didn't care how long you had to wait. They are very strict on their pool towels, which aren't that great, so I don't know what the big deal is.
Maybe I would stay there again, but I would want something closer to the action.

4  Thank BG79
northern california
Reviewed May 31, 2005

this was our first time at the caliente tropics and i cannot BELIEVE the rudeness we encountered! we had made reservations over SIX months in advance to stay at the caliente tropics and they had lost the reservation. after pulling out our print out of the confirmation number, they replied that it was meaningless. apparently, when the management shifted, the head manager dumped all old reservations made over the internet. they were completely unwilling to help us find other lodging (since the hotel was completely booked) and gave us the impression that this was OUR fault. so there we were, first time in palm springs, after driving for 8 hours, with no-where to stay due to their incompetence.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Just came back from a weekend in Palm Springs at Caliente Tropics. We stayed there last summer so was looking forward to the stay. I read some more reviews and was apprehensive to see so many negative ones as of late.

We had a great time with some minor problems. Shower water was sketchy and temperature changed which made for a quick shower. My sister's room had a toilet problem which was promptly fixed. We had friendly service, clean rooms, pool was great and at a bargain at $60 per night on expedia. Can't beat that!!!

It is low key, relaxing and location can't be beat! Overall, recommended for value, location and polynesian theme. Will be returning!

3  Thank mrsfig
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed May 20, 2005

We checked in there basically the last day of the old management. We were able to check in early and were greeted with wonderful service. When we got to our room, we got a call about 15 mins later checking to make sure our room was satisfactory. Sodas were in fringe, pool towels by the sink and fluffy towels in the bathroom and extra pillows were brought right to our room.

In the morning our paper was delivered.... and then all the changes started. The hot tub was starting to get murky, the pool was filled with branches and leaves. No one has cleaned it out that morning. The sodas were not replenished, the pool towels were not changed, and paper no longer came. On our 3rd day there I noticed the staff was smoking at the pool, the hot tub was disgusting and the new management just had unpleasant attitudes--- a smile goes a long way in the service industry.

On our last day, we learned on our second day there was an abrupt change in management. I have stayed at the Caliente Tropics on many occasions and loved the little extras that were provided by the previous owners. Though I love the atmosphere at Caliente Tropics, there are too many newly renovated hotels in Palm Springs that offer better service at comparable prices, that I probably will not go back to Caliente :(

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 16, 2005

Staying at the Caliente Tropics in the past has always been a pleasure. My last visit was a big disappointment though. The towels were not the soft ones I am used to and we never had enough in our room. Our room did not get made up one day and the staff was overall pretty rude. I understand that there has been a change in management. Seems like this was a big mistake on someones part. I will not stay here again, there are too many other options with better service and better prices.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2005

I have stayed at this wonderful Tiki hotel before. It was a great place. I always recommended it. Now its dead, gone; greed killed it.

The new Managment has cut everywhere. Beverages; gone, newspaper; gone, magazines; gone, continental breakfast; nearly gone. 12 noon checkout; gone, extra towls and upscale amenities; gone. Sharp grounds and clean rooms; going fast. I am sure the excellent linen will be replaced with cheap as it wears out. The towls were already getting dingy.

The previous continental breakfast has been replaced with a box of whatever old pastry is on sale at Cosco and weak coffee, thats it. Not even any Tang. The rooms have been stripped of all references to the hotel's cool past. The spa was not working. The room was not as clean as before.

This Hotel was saved and made wonderful by the previous owners. Now it is sinking fast. Soon to be the flophouse it was previously. I hate to see this happen. I will miss it.

Don't stay here.