“not worth it any more”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #43 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed May 20, 2005

We checked in there basically the last day of the old management. We were able to check in early and were greeted with wonderful service. When we got to our room, we got a call about 15 mins later checking to make sure our room was satisfactory. Sodas were in fringe, pool towels by the sink and fluffy towels in the bathroom and extra pillows were brought right to our room.

In the morning our paper was delivered.... and then all the changes started. The hot tub was starting to get murky, the pool was filled with branches and leaves. No one has cleaned it out that morning. The sodas were not replenished, the pool towels were not changed, and paper no longer came. On our 3rd day there I noticed the staff was smoking at the pool, the hot tub was disgusting and the new management just had unpleasant attitudes--- a smile goes a long way in the service industry.

On our last day, we learned on our second day there was an abrupt change in management. I have stayed at the Caliente Tropics on many occasions and loved the little extras that were provided by the previous owners. Though I love the atmosphere at Caliente Tropics, there are too many newly renovated hotels in Palm Springs that offer better service at comparable prices, that I probably will not go back to Caliente :(

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Caliente Tropics Resort

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 16, 2005

Staying at the Caliente Tropics in the past has always been a pleasure. My last visit was a big disappointment though. The towels were not the soft ones I am used to and we never had enough in our room. Our room did not get made up one day and the staff was overall pretty rude. I understand that there has been a change in management. Seems like this was a big mistake on someones part. I will not stay here again, there are too many other options with better service and better prices.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2005

I have stayed at this wonderful Tiki hotel before. It was a great place. I always recommended it. Now its dead, gone; greed killed it.

The new Managment has cut everywhere. Beverages; gone, newspaper; gone, magazines; gone, continental breakfast; nearly gone. 12 noon checkout; gone, extra towls and upscale amenities; gone. Sharp grounds and clean rooms; going fast. I am sure the excellent linen will be replaced with cheap as it wears out. The towls were already getting dingy.

The previous continental breakfast has been replaced with a box of whatever old pastry is on sale at Cosco and weak coffee, thats it. Not even any Tang. The rooms have been stripped of all references to the hotel's cool past. The spa was not working. The room was not as clean as before.

This Hotel was saved and made wonderful by the previous owners. Now it is sinking fast. Soon to be the flophouse it was previously. I hate to see this happen. I will miss it.

Don't stay here.

5  Thank billyar
Reviewed May 9, 2005

I had been a HUGE fan of the Tropics for years. Recommended it to everyone traveling to Palm Springs. Loved the ambiance, cleanliness of the rooms, special amenities (like the drinks in the fridge, non-smoking rooms, and puppy priveliges), and especially the fantastic hospitatality of the staff. However the recent turnover in management is a fright. They do indeed ignore you at every opportunity. They spend more time snapping their clipboards and complaining to one another than attending their guests. And the prices are a bit out of line considering the quality and appeal of some of the boutique hotels in Palm Springs. The Reef Bar was open when last I attended but the prices of the drinks seem to fluctuate according to the whim of the bartender!! I'll always love the Tropics but next time, I'll stay somewhere else.

6  Thank Betty9583
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 26, 2005

The hotel is poorly managed. From the moment we checked-in until we left two days later, our stay was plagued with incompetent hotel staff. They were rude and could not perform basic tasks like checking us into a room that wasn't occupied. The hotel bar is never open. The pool towel check out policy is byzantine. This hotel might be respectable in a few years, but it needs to overhaul the way it treats its customers.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2005

Pros: Great location, clean and well maintained, decent value
Cons: Very dirty jacuzzi, somewhat murky pool, bad smells from Mexican restaurant on premises

We stayed at the Caliente Tropics 4/23-24/05, paid $110 for one night (Saturday). No problems with staff--I would say we got typical motel-type service, and we weren't expecting anything more professional or accommodating. We had an upstairs room in a building at the back of the hotel with storerooms underneath--probably one of the quietest blocks of rooms at the property. Room was decent sized and very nicely furnished/decorated. Very clean and well maintained. No tub, but a large tiled shower--perfect for our needs. A few minor amenities--like nice soap/shampoo/lotion, but no complimentary sodas or newspapers. (Although there were a couple of current local entertainment publications in the room, plus other good magazines.)

We did not try the Reef Lounge, but it was open and they were serving food as well as drinks.

The pool and jacuzzi were, to us, the biggest drawbacks. First, we wanted to use the jacuzzi at 7am and the gates were locked, and no one in the locked and dark front office to accommodate our request to open the pool area. Pool hours or rules not in the room. Pool area opened at 7:30am, but when we saw the dirty, murky jacuzzi, we couldn't set foot in it. Pool was cleaner, but still on the murky side. (Both pool and jacuzzi were dirty the entire time we were there.) Pool area was uncrowded, no screaming youngsters. The view of the mountains from the pool is fantastic. However, burned food odors continually drifted over from the Mexican food restaurant on the property. Not pleasant. Plus, no one at the front desk told us about towels, we had to ask one of the guests where to get them. And then the wait and the signing of the form--gorgeous, thick towels, but we think better to buy cheaper towels and keep them at poolside.

We would most likely try another place before we'd go back to the Caliente Tropics, but we would stay there again if we couldn't find a similar place at a better value.

4  Thank Millerfam
Reviewed April 17, 2005

April 16/ 17, 2005

This didn't start off well, that's for sure. There was only one person in line in front of me at check in with the windows, with a person at each. The person in front of me was complaining loudly about the property and their experience. The employees at the other two windows ignored me like I wasn't even there. One guy kept fiddling with a computer or something, while the lady (ommi? or some similar name) was talking quietly on the phone. No one even so much as acknowledged my presence for a good 5 minutes (My wife just gave up and sat down in the lobby).

When I finally was able to speak (felt like Seinfeld / soup nazi episode) and checked in, I was informed that the key machine was broken and that they would let me in the room and bring the key up later. I informed them that we didn't plan to just sit in the room and wait. They replied that they weould just leave it in the room. I asked them how I was supposed to get it, since I'd be LOCKED out..... duh.... Speaking of "locking", if you use the in-room safe it's $1.50 a day....

We went to the pool. Huuum.....where's the towels? Oh. That's right, go back to the lobby, stand in line again, and sign a form for the towels. And return them the same way.

Anyway....one night stay - total with tax = $156. NO complimentary beverages as their expedia ad states, NO complimentary paper as their expedia ad states, the Reef bar was closed for rennovation, NOT mentioned in their expedia ad.

There's a Motel 6 next door. If you aren't enomoured with staying where the Rat Pack proportedly played around 45 years ago, save a hundred bucks and move over a building.

8  Thank Robin H