“Priced Right, nice beds and great pool.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Caliente Tropics Resort

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #27 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
“Priced Right, nice beds and great pool.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed two nights here with my family, and our dog. Being our first trip to Palm Springs, we weren't quite sure what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised. The location was outstanding, nestled in between some of the higher end hotels in the older part of town. The rooms were decent, with nice sheets and comfy beds. The pool is massive, with a sweet little group of cabanas you can use for no additional charge. I liked the little tiki look they got going, it gave the hotel a nice little bit of personality.

Room Tip: Get the Lanai rooms, it's not much extra, and nobody is above or below you.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
3 Thank travelguy w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

A little bit musty and in need of an update. But that's probably why it's such a very good budget option. The rooms were a reasonable size. They were clean and air-conditioned. The bed linens and towels were laundered and clean. Wi-Fi was free. You could make a couple of cups of coffee in the room. The staff were busy, but helpful. Convenient location. I would stay there again to save the money and, if you remember what you're paying, it's a very good option to paying more to try to eliminate some of the negatives.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars
3 Thank A_Fellow_Pilgrim
Stuart
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Beware of extra charges!!! My daughter and I planned a little trip to Palm Springs. She had stayed at the Caliente Tropics before and recommended it as being a good value. I would have agreed EXCEPT for the cost of two towels being $40!!! When we arrived, i was not given towels. The next day I asked for two and used them at the pool. When we checked out, the receptionist was helping someone else check in. I saw the basket of used towels at the side of her desk, and tossed the two towels into the basket. I gestured to her that I was checking out, and had returned the towels. She gave me the thumbs up sign and off we went. When I returned home and checked my bank statement I saw the additional charge of $40 and immediately called. When I explained the situation, I was told management would research the towel charge and get back to me. They did not call me back, so I called them. I was told the charge was correct and asked to speak to a manager. More than a week later the manager called and said a refund would be issued. It is now 11 days later and still no refund.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank docoffee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights when the Ace was booked out and was pretty happy with it as an inexpensive backup option. Room was a good size, pretty quiet and clean (though dated and a bit faded). It's not the classiest place in town, but it did the job. The pool was nice (and WAY less busy than some others, which may appeal, depending what you're looking for). The front desk staff were pretty helpful. Overall a good stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

It's great to see a survivor from the 1960s that has been converted into another look-alike corporate chain eyesore. The room was clean and had nice bedding. For me, the pool is the best feature. Check it out at night with the torches ablaze. The front desk person was friendly and welcoming. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Location
1 Thank JayDee90017
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I planned a stay-cation in our home valley and chose this hotel. It was kitschy and older, but our room was clean and well-portioned--but the carpet needs replacing. We received great customer service and enjoyed our stay. The only problem was that the bathroom door didn't open all the way due to toilet placement. Other than that, good value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Have stayed at this property many times, but no more! The pool area and grass are great. The bed is comfortable. BUT----- Room type requested with advance reservation not provided and so-called "upgrade" was anything but. Room falling apart, shower not draining, blinds not working, hooks broken, toilet seat falling off. This property needs a serious overhaul. Management and front desk staff frequently missing in action. Billed for incorrect amounts on wrong credit card. On and on....

Room Tip: Don't bother requesting a specific room type -- you probably won't get it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family