“Pretty nice place for the price paid”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #44 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed here during February of 2014, and had a pretty good experience. I had read some reviews about the place and decided for the price it was worth it. The rooms and hotel as a whole definitely need to be updated a bit, but the place really does have some potential. Staff-wise, the only one I really had a chance to interact with was the front desk guy, Chaz. He was really helpful and told me about some things to do in Palm Springs for fun and some cool "hole in the wall" places to eat. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice small hotel for a night or two for a pretty good price.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Brian M

Reviewed February 17, 2014

So it looks great online....like a resort. IT IS NOT. It a motor lodge with a tiki look outside. My room had no cold water in the sink and no hot water in the shower. Unless you are 6 feet tall you can not adjust the Air Conditioner. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Get something on the second floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Richard M
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have stayed here at least three times, maybe four. But I think I'm done. On this trip, we had room 114 (mention your room numbers, people!). After we had entered the room the first time, the door handle became loose and it was very hard to open, although we figured out a way. The sockets next to the sink didn't work. Some of my friends were in another room and they said NONE of their sockets worked. No comment cards in the rooms to point these things out.
I also woke up with a sore back after the first night.

On one of the nights we were there, the hotel was hosting a huge invitation-only party in their lounge area. You had to drive through the line for valet parking and tell them you were a guest and then they would let you go to the hotel parking area. But all the spots were full. We had to park next door at Motel 6 one night and on the back street another. We talked to the staff about it and they said it's something that happens every month.

In the morning we went to get our receipt, and the office was CLOSED! The sign said they open at 8 am. HELLOOOOO...you're a hotel. It's 24/7!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank stattad
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We as a couple stayed at Caliente Tropics last month for four nights. Upon our check-in with a very pleasant Australian chap we were told we were being upgraded to a suite. The room(s) first of all need a make-over badly. The furniture and accessories looked very plain and worn. The bureaus and tables had deep gouges and cuts in them. There was no cold water(admittedly I would rather have no cold than no hot). When I reported this to the front desk actually told us to run the water for several minutes so the water pipes would run cold. A little strange comment give we are in the desert where water is at a premium. There was no microwave and a barely functioning frig. On one day the maid forgot to clean our room. The front desk did bring up towels when we complained that evening. The internet was so slow many days it really didn't even exist. When we mentioned this on check-out to the front desk another guest mentioned the same thing to the front desk as we were leaving. The front desk responded saying they were working on but felt like this was a typical response to fend off complaints probably from staff who are tired of reporting to non-responsive management. We had reported this internet problem to the front desk during our stay several times with no satisfactory response. That aside the pool was large and came with a beautiful view each morning of the adjacent San Jacinto Mountains, a truly memorable site. In addition the rates are low compared to other Palm Springs facilities. If you don't mind putting up with what I mentioned this can be a very good deal. For us if the internet problem gets fixed we would consider staying there again because of the rates and pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davidjohng
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Horrible customer service..No hot water in Shower. Bedside lamp plug laying under bed pillow. There was not an outlet to plug into.Not many outlets in room. The wi-fi was down all nite and into the next day. Manager not due in office till 2 PM..He was to call us next day..Never heard from him. My husband contacted him a week later and he had an attitude...will never stay at this place again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Sactojane
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We enjoyed our time in Palm Springs. Caliente is a decent place - no frills.
They could really use some new carpet in the suite room.
The bed was very comfortable.
The pool was great.
The front desk people were very helpful.
Palm Springs was very nice - too many gays, but a nice town nonetheless.
The internet was almost useless - it would shut down every 10-15 minutes. Wayyy too little bandwidth.

Have fun!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank olger
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I found this place thru Orbitz and in a rush booked the afternoon of my stay. I got in past 11pm and there were no issues with late check in at all. There were some issues with getting my keys to work at first but Chaz was super helpful in getting me settled into the room with working keys and making sure the air conditioner worked. I was happy to see that the bedroom had a brand new A/C unit so I didnt need to worry about dirty air filter allergen issues. Other than that, the hotel itself is a short walking distance from Koffi, a trendy and nice coffee shop, and the pool at the hotel was pretty popular. For less than 90 bucks a night, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo