“Great Escape from New Hampshire”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #45 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Great Escape from New Hampshire”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the Caliente Tropics from December 27th, 2013 to Jan 1st, 2014 for a family reunion. We had a great time hiking: Andreas Canyon, Seven Sisters Waterfall, Lykken Trail and Murray Peak (getting to the top of Murray Peak was really the purpose of this trip). The Caliente Tropics was a great central location for all of our activities which included the Living Dessert, Sunnylands and Downtown Palm Springs on New Years Eve. The Caliente is not the finest Hotel in Palm Springs, but it was perfect for our purposes, and at a reasonable rate. The staff was very helpful for checking in and checking out, especially dealing with our lost (and cancelled) credit card and transferring all of our charges to our new credit card (the staff made this little crisis a piece of cake). We are now back in New Hampshire and dealing with our latest weather crisis, the Polar Vortex. But, we have great memories of the warmth and hospitality of Palm Springs and the Caliente Tropics.

Room Tip: We had one of the rooms with a small living area with a pullout couch and a couple of chairs and th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Allen K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Lancaster, California
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Wife and I took our three children and had a blast at this quaint little resort. We stayed during the first week of January and enjoyed the beautiful Palm Springs sun (and warmth) as we swam in their large pool and relaxed in the fully-functioning Jacuzzi. In the afternoon, we ate lunch in the picnic area and the kids played more complimentary games of ping-pong than I can count.

Alicia and the rest of the staff were very accommodating and served us quite nicely. I can honestly say that we did not want for anything. They are professionals and did a top-notch job for us.

The place is older and was once a full resort; they told us that plans are in place to revive the restaurant and we are looking forward to dining there on our next stay.

The rooms and common areas are all decorated in a sixties fashion. It is not an attempt to be retro; rather, it is a well-preserved piece of American history. This place was undoubtedly going full-blast back when Elvis and Rock Hudson were around and these people have done a top-flight job of keeping it up and nice & clean. It was really cool.

We had been considering a vacation home there in Palm Springs as the facility is just 100 or so miles from where we live in Lancaster, Ca. However, with rooms at such reasonable rates and such a nice facility, we may have a difficult time justifying the monthly expense of a vacation home and may just make Caliente Tropics our "place to go" for winter vacations.

My family and I were very pleased with our stay and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Great for families
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Eric S
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Caliente Tropics Resort surprised me. I am a seasoned traveler and usually stay at four star hotels. Being a local of Palm Springs I had never stayed at any of the local hotels. Due to an emergency I had to stay in a hotel for a few days. I was delighted with everything about this establishment. The price was more than reasonable. The view is breathtaking and the morning walks nearby were quiet and serene. The hotel's main attractions for most would be the huge pool and Tiki rooms. They are decorated with whimsy. If one is looking for a clean reasonable hip hotel that is safe and secure, look no further. When I arrived Nicole was courteous and compassionate. Alicia, another morning hotel desk employee faxed an important document for me with a smile. The customer service here is exceptional and I am planning a party for my nieces here this summer. Don't get conned into pricier hotels that manufacture style. This place has the history and the ambiance of classic Palm Springs.

• Stayed December 2013
San Diego
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I had a great time at Caliente Tropics. We were meeting up with a large group of friends for New Year's Eve and the staff did a great job of putting the rooms as close together as possible. The rooms are a nice size and the bathrooms were well stocked. The whole room was very clean. I left my credit card down at the check-in desk (doh!) and Nicole wasted no time in running it right up to my room. The grounds were very nice, the pool was heated during this time and the cabana area was really cool. Our group was having a great time there and due to the New Years occasion, Nicole allowed us to stay just a bit longer than they normally would have that area open for. Nicole was very gracious and we sincerely appreciate her patience with us. We don't have kids but our friends do and it was a very kid-friendly place. All this and the price was a bargain. We now know why our friends have been coming here for many years. We will be back. Thank you very much to your staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Irvine, California
Reviewed December 31, 2013

It is a really good place for my Xmas vocation, The environment is really good and quite close to the downtown. The price is also cheap and they have good service. People are friendly, and they also helped me correct my mistake for the reservation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jinqiang L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We came to Palm Springs on a spur of the moment trip in October see Alton Brown in Palm Desert. We chose the Caliente Tropics primarily due to the reasonable pet fee, as we had not planned early enough to make other arrangements. Unfortunately, the low cost of the motel and low pet fee did not compensate for the poor quality of the premises. Our room had a half-hearted remodel, with a large area unused - perhaps formerly a kitchenette, judging by the plumbing still evident in the otherwise bare wall. The bed was comfortable but the room had a pervasive musty, mildew-y odor. I bought a scented candle and even that provided no relief. I suspect the smell stems from wet feet on carpet that never thoroughly dries. Frankly, if the motel were in a remote location, I would upgrade the rating to "poor" but there are so many other, and much nicer, options in Palm Springs that I can't imaging choosing Caliente Tropics to save a few dollars. We left the property first thing in the morning, despite to beautiful weather and no pressing plans. It was just too depressing to stay a minute longer than necessary.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ojerio
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed here before, and both times have been great. Hotel was once a standard motel , it has been updated to have a Polynesian theme with tiki huts around what is a fantastic pool area. ( I think people from other hotels use pool as it's better than most). Staff are friendly and happy to help . Rooms are of a good size and are well equipped .Shower in my room was great .Hotel can get a little noisy at the weekend. There is a bar and restaurant attached to the hotel but unfortunately neither are open for business. Hotel is a mile or so outside of down town Palm Springs, it can be walked but it's too hot during the day and very dark road at night.
There are a couple of bars not to far away but the main night life is down town so a taxi would be best. Great all around hotel will stay again.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms are a little quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple