“Stay away”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed here during the weekend of Nov 1st thru the 4th. I don't recommend ever staying here. The exterior is OK, but it's what's on the inside that matters: the deadbolt doesn't work, the lock entry system doesn't always works, there's holes on the sofa, the air con and fan over the bed are squeaky and don't let you sleep.

WiFi is crappy. I complained and got no resolution on the door, WiFi, and fan. Will never stay here again - and I suggest you don't either. Not even if there's a shortage of room. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJV V
Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was shocked by my experience at this hotel after reading so many good reports. The grounds are pretty (I love Tikki), but not that special. The hotel is old and smells it. Air Conditioning is provided by noisy elderly window units.

The first room we were given was so rank with mold and mildew that I suffered a mild asthma attack (I'm usually fine in hotel rooms), When I complained, I was given a "free" upgrade to a room which was less toxic but still smelled disagreeably musty -- and dangled at a 5-degree angle off the edge of the building! Seriously! We had to walk UPHILL to get from the TV set into bed. It was downright scary, and if I hadn't paid for my "resort stay" online in advance I would have walked out.

Another serious issue was a complete lack of internet connectivity. The hotel promises wireless (it's totally open, btw, no password, not even nominal security) and we hooked up to it fine, but there was no bandwidth. None. We're talking 5 minutes to load a page like the one I'm editing now. I called the desk about this several times and they seemed quite perplexed and promised to reset the gateway, etc. to fix it. Yeah, right.

As far as cleanliness...it was OK. It took about 10 minutes walking around the floor in white socks for them to get grimy, which is maybe a little sub par but not much. The hotel does NOT follow the modern practice of keeping a washable sheet on top of the bedspreads, and they were old and dingy. The shower was decent, however, and had a tall shower head.

The hotel was fairly full but reasonably peaceful. I've heard it can be full of students and rowdy on weekends or during college break. There were some students and young foreign travelers during our stay, but everyone was friendly and well-behaved.

About the only nice thing I can say about this place is that the staff was friendly and the view at sunset lovely. As much as I likeTikki decor (a lot) I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed there a couple of times. Pretty nice little hotel. Clean rooms, friendly staff, good prices, close to the main attractions area.
I’ve never written hotel review before. But this time I felt I should. Last June we stayed at this hotel and I’ve witnessed how even difficult customers are being handled by the front desk staff.
The customer was a real pain in the a…s. But Nichole (front desk Mgr.?) was the most professional. She was friendly, understanding, kept her cool, attentive but did not allowed to be pushed over. Good work Nichole. I hope she’s being valued there. She is an asset to the company.
Alicia took care of us and she was great. I have to say that they ALL do a great job.
I will definitely come back and recommend this hotel to others.
Oleg V

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We always stay here when we visit Palm Springs. Great location, really nice rooms, adequate pool. It's a shame that no one has taken over the restaurant or bar area. They've been empty a long time, perhaps it's time to do something with them. My husband loved the fitness center, really quality equipment! But the best part without a doubt are the employees! They bend over backwards to make sure you are happy. From the gals at the front desk (who offered me additional time for a late check out at no cost) to the maids, the quality of service rivals high end hotels. Unless you are looking for a resort, stay here! You can spend alot more money and not get anything as nice as this place. Built in 1964, the renovation is wonderful!

Room Tip: we had a room in the corner upstairs. was very quiet!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Thanks to the excellent service by the manager Tre...my boyfriend n i had the most wonderful time. Thank you i recommended this resorts to everyone wanting to have a get away w that special someone or family vacation thats on a budget....great price n ufeel like u r in Hawaii!....and wonderful costumer service thank you Tre for all yr help:-)

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 23, 2013

had a great experience at the caliente resort .young men by the name of TREY serviced me and my company several times in the past ....had a great experience and great front desk service .i will for sure return in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Should have been tipped off by the Orkin Pest Control truck parked outside the area where our room was located. Awoke in the morning to the sensation of an enormous cockroach crawling from my hair onto my hand and across the pillow where I'd been sleeping. As far as wake up calls go, that's pretty disgusting. We were prepared to shrug it off when my boyfriend rolls over to find a single BED BUG marching across the sheet. Roaches I can deal with but am less forgiving of insects that live off my blood and can potentially sneak in my suit case and infest my home. Not cool! We immediately checked both the headboard and mattress sides to see TONS of other bed bugs - clearly this was an ongoing infestation and had been an issue for a while. The front desk came to have a look but was ultimately useless. Had to check out and spend the day in a laundromat, washing all of our clothing just in case.
Obviously would not suggest staying here, no matter how cheap they price the rooms. Chances are you'll end up spending that much on laundry, dry cleaning, and possible pest control services as a result.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple