New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Pool and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall, the Caliente Tropics Resort is a great place to stay due to its excellent service and beautiful pool and lanai areas, two assets that distinguish it from other similarly-priced spots in Palm Springs. Though the room where I stayed was a little rough around the edges in spots, such spots weren’t important since the room was clean overall, quite comfortable, and had an updated granite shower and countertops.

To begin, I booked my room at the last minute, a week prior to my stay. I stayed during the week before Easter; however, Maritza was able to find me a room and give me a free upgrade to one of the Tahitian Lanai King rooms that overlooks the quiet Lanai area.

Upon checking in, Steven was friendly and thorough but concise with acclimating me to the hotel’s grounds and policies. Throughout my stay I noticed Steven performing various tasks from front desk help, to addressing housekeeping needs, to completing minor maintenance tasks.

I entered Room 222 and was pleased with the décor, even considering a couple of chipped spots from the room’s furniture and sizeable torn spot of wallpaper above the provided iron and ironing board. Like I said, though, in the grand scheme, these were minor cosmetic issues that the new black granite shower and countertops overshadowed and some touchups would amend. The giant bed was comfortable as well as the chair in the room from which I watched an NCAA Basketball Tournament game. As I relaxed in the room, I noticed myself thinking on a few occasions about the ample space within. If you’re traveling with a family or desire some additional room space, this one’s for you as the room has ample space, various spots to store multiple suitcases, plenty of countertop space, and a desk area. Pay the extra 10% or so for the upgrade. However, I do recommend asking for a room other than Room 222 since it’s at the top of a stairwell. I noticed that out-of-shape hotel guests visiting Palm slammed their feet as they ascended the stairs, which makes a banging noise and was annoying; however, this is no fault of the hotel.

In the evening, Trey provided me with a recommendation for a frozen yogurt place that I ended up checking out. He was courteous, and we joked a bit about its lack of cookie dough. Later in the evening I saw Steven helping out another guest who was in need of some considerable assistance. Like I said, the service here is friendly and genuine.

The hotel’s most significant asset is its lanai and pool areas. Non-aggressive dogs are permitted at the hotel, and they rested in the lanai area by their owners. Overall, the lanai area has a more chill vibe, and guests will find ample lounge chairs and little huts in which they can take a break from the sun. Shuffleboard courts are nearby, which many guests enjoyed during the course of my stay.

The pool area was my favorite, hands down. There, I spent all day Thursday relaxing, reading, listening to my iPod, and people watching. The pool had a mix of nearly everyone: An elderly couple with their granddaughter, young families with kids, older families with teens, some college students, couples of various ages, a group of thirtysomething friends, single travelers, and English, Spanish, and French speakers. At one point nearly everyone at the pool deck provided a drum roll on their thighs for two guys from the thirtysomething group who executed goofy jumps into the deep end of the pool. The energy at the pool naturally ebbed and flowed as the day progressed: It’s not a stuffy, adults-only spot, nor is it a complete Marco Polo-playing children’s fun house; the pool environment lands somewhere in between. I lay under the many palm trees, among the many poolside flowers, and beneath the beautiful mountains, which added to the enjoyment I experienced at Caliente Tropics. Also, both the Jacuzzi and pool have a handicap chair a person with a physical disability can use to take advantage of these amenities; I don’t know if this is California state law, but having such equipment is, at the least, what’s just, right, and respectable. This hotel seems to have a wide target audience, and I hope it stays that way because it’s a fun and enjoyable place to stay.

I also must mention how clean the grounds are. The grounds staff kept everything tidy and well-manicured. Nice work! Similarly, the housekeeping staff ensured that my room was serviced quickly and thoroughly. Thank you!

Room Tips: The best rooms are those in the Tahitian Lanai Building: 221, 223-228, and 230 because they’re not at the top of the stairwells. In the two other buildings, Eastern Island and Wallis Island, I’d recommend requesting a room on the second floor but avoiding those ending in *20 as they are located by the dumpster. Also, those from *10-*19 and *31-*42 are the farthest from the road, which will reduce road noise.

Overall, I recommend this place to future guests based on its service, lanai and pool areas, and price. If I ever end up in Palm again, I’ll be sure to stay at the Caliente Tropics.

Room Tip: The best rooms are those in the Tahitian Lanai Building: 221, 223-228, and 230 because they’re not a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Stevenson Ranch, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my second stay at this property with my children and another family. The last time, we were supposed to stay for three nights, but could bear only one (they didn't charge for the other two -- pool was really dirty, and why else does one go to Palm Springs?). This property does put an additional $100 hold on your credit card for incidentals, and after the first stay, I had to fight, two weeks later, to get them to remove this hold. That was about a year and half ago. We'll see how long it takes this time.

Property/rooms underwent some renovation since our last stay. They have a lovely bar and two restaurant areas, none of which are currently open (same on the last stay). A shame and a waste of perfectly good space.

Property is severely understaffed. Desk clerks have to leave the desk to provide additional towels to rooms. Tried to call the day before arrival to ask some questions. Never got a live operator, and never got a return call after finally leaving a message. Apparently, problems with their phones.

Our friends had to change rooms after the first room didn't have a working air conditioner. Second room had some plumbing problems, which were later resolved. The staff they do have do their very best with what they have. They are friendly and courteous. Rooms were in good enough shape, but we did find hair in the shower that wasn't our (ewe!).

Overall the property could have been kept a little cleaner - found the same trash on the property on day three as we did on day one, empty tequila bottle). Pool seemed a bit cleaner this time. Honestly, we came here only because our friends had a credit from a previous stay. Don't think I'd come back, if not for another outing with friends.

Property does have some potential. Let's see if they run with that, or let it languish.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter experience, you should request an upstairs corner room. Those rooms also seem...
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Mostly based on the positive reviews here, I booked a room for my husband and I on a recent trip to visit family in the area. Our room was okay. Not the freshest smelling, but comfortable bed and windows that open. The two guys that helped me at the front desk were warm and friendly. The pool area was lovely and very active. We were surprised that a wonderful area for a restaurant and bar was vacant. It gave the hotel a sort of past its prime feeling. I would look for other options before booking a room here again.

Room Tip: This is an old school motor hotel, so ask for a room on the second floor to avoid the noise of cars...
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you're looking for a comfortable room at the right price this is the your pad. Fairly quiet place, great pool and deck area and a nice grassy area with BBQ grills to cook out. Small, but adequate gym area for a light workout. On the downside, it is hard to really call it a 'resort', no on-site restaurant, no activities, needs minor hotel repairs (loose door handle, faucet issues). You can walk 2 blocks in either direction and have several breakfast/supper restaurants to choose from and the main part of Palm Springs is a 25 minute walk or $10 cab ride.

Great for a budget place to hang out, relax, enjoy the pool casual, close dining
Bad Choice if you are looking for anything fancy or being close to the nightlife

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
san diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was nervous on our ride out as I could not get an answer to my calls to check our reservation. Upon arrival we were happy to discover a clean and quiet place to stay with our young son & dog. We got a King Suite and couldn't imagine being in a smaller room. Pool was clean and well maintained & full of toys for kids. Both pool & jacuzzi had a handicap lift which was also nice to see - though not sure if they worked. Can't imagine staying on first floor for how bad the floors shook. Their restaurant/bar was closed which kept the scene very mellow but was a bit of a disappointment (found out it is never open). We had great help the first night of our stay -- Sadie, Trey & Gabriel were all great! But on our next morning we checked out & left over all pleased only to discover 45 minutes into our trip home that we had left our baby's pillow & personal items on a stairwell en route to our car. I tried to call and go the machine numerous times again; having already realized this we turned around and headed back because "who would take a baby's pillow and toy". When we returned the manager told my husband she had just gotten his message and was about to go look. He walked with her and discovered the items were not there but "had just been there only a minute ago" according to any and all the employees she asked. Went from 4 stars (no restaurant as advertised) to 2 stars for lack of answering phone & no lost & found procedures which are two MAJOR strikes in customer service for us. . PS Heard restaurant had not been open since at least 2009 from other guest).

Room Tip: Second floor if you can carry your bags (no elevators)
Azusa, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our stay here got off on the wrong foot. There was a huge line checking in on a Thursday, mainly due to some idiot who was whining about not getting a refund when he canceled too late (BTW they do have a tight cancellation policy) There were 4 parties in front of me and another 3 behind me by the time I got checked in. And for some reason, their AC was not working too well in the lobby, so it was a miserable wait.

Anyways, this is truly a motel, the rooms have doors to the parking lot only, and a big picture window to the parking lot as well. Meh.

They have a nice pool / hot tub area, and it looks like a good place to bring a couple kids for a Palm Springs getaway (we didn't partake)

The room was completely remodeled and very nicely at that. The AC was kinda loud, but did chill down the room pretty quickly.

All in all, nice room, nice staff, ugly exterior and motel format, decent prices....

Not great, but not a bad value for overpriced Palm Springs

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I'm stunned by the positive reviews of the Caliente Tropics Resort (which is neither "caliente," "tropical," nor a "resort.") It's a beat-down motel with battered furnishings and a cloudy pool. I'm not sure how it keeps its three-star rating with no food or beverage service. Want a cocktail at the pool? "There's a hotel bar two blocks down" advised the concierge.
Check-in is a very late 4PM.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple