“No better nature expert / trail guide in the Coachella Valley”

Trail Discovery Hiking Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing magical hiking & walking wilderness experiences. Allow yourself to re-connect with nature and the peacefulness within. Joshua Tree NP, Indian Canyons, San Andreas fault, San Jacinto State park, all just waiting for you to Discover! 20 years of professionally guided trips in the deserts, mountains & canyons in Palm Springs, Ca. We guarantee a great experience! We provide entry fees, bottled water, hip-packs, snacks & lots of info on plants, animals, geography & Native American history. Tours rates from $75 - $150 / per., and can range from a couple easy miles of walking, to 10+ miles to local summits.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I've done excursions to Indian Canyons and Joshua Tree National Park with Trail Discovery Hiking Tours. Having been a resident of the Coachella Valley myself for several years, and a casual hiker with above-average familiarity with the region, I was impressed by proprietor Scott Scott's deep knowledge of the area, the terrain and the best times/seasons to tackle various hikes. I tried a few other trail guide services solo and with friends, but I quickly came to realize that Trail Discovery is the go-to source for fully informed and safety-conscious desert outdoor adventure in this ruggedly beautiful part of Southern California.

1  Thank Dean L
pranarun, Owner at Trail Discovery Hiking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dean,
Thanks for your compliments, I know you've done your share of exploring, so it's always great to great praise from people like yourself.
When your back in the Palm Springs area, look us up to see where our next great adventure will be!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Scott is a the best guide for the Indian Canyon trek with continuous observations of fauna and flora. He was also very kind to adapt his conversation to my level in english. We had a tour of 5 hours in the canyons with great views and I could swim in a natural swimming pool. If you go to Palm Springs, don't miss

pranarun, Owner at Trail Discovery Hiking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Thank you Anne, you a pleasure to spend the morning with, and after a a long overseas flight & a 4 hr. "traffic jam" commute from LA, I could tell this is just what you needed! It was great to be able to cool off in the comforting pools under the palms. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I hired Scott in early May for a full-day excursion from Palm Springs to visit Joshua Tree. It was the highlight of a 5-day trip filled with many other spectacular hikes, none of which compared to the experience Scott creates for his clients. From the moment he picked me up, Scott was taking care of the day's details, discussing what I wanted from my visit, exploring ideas for the right kind of day based on my interests and abilities. Over the course of more than 9 hours Scott helped me to see and understand what the desert meant to him, the beauty as well as the biology of the plants and animals, the historical figures who had made it their home, and a wide range of other topics as Scott adroitly fielded my many questions. Scott planned just the right amount of challenge plus exertion, and at the end of the day I had the great satisfaction of feeling successful as an explorer but also as though I had been introduced to a magical place. Who could ask for more? I intend to hire Scott again when i return next year and only hope all the glowing reviews don't make him too hard to get!

1  Thank Cheryl33055

Cheryl,
I really appreciate you taking the time to write & post this review, as these are very helpful to others considering our service. You referred to "creating an experience", which is what I work at doing, since I want your time to be special. I look forward to another fun & educational adventure with you next time around!

Reviewed March 16, 2012

This was our second trip to Indian Canyons. The first time we did the short loop through the Andreas Oasis on our own. This time we were looking for a guided hike and we hired Scott to take us to the Stone Pools at Palm Canyon. The 5 hour trek was a wonderful and challenging adventure. While Scott warned us that we would be doing some "boulder scrambling" we were undeterred as we really didn't know what that was. It entailed climbing up and over and under and squeezing between boulders that sometimes were as large as a garage. Scott was great at blazing a trail for us, showing us where to step or what to grab hold of and giving us encouragement. We surprised ourselves by doing things that were a little outside of our comfort zone. That said, nothing dangerous, and Scott was always quick to point out another more conservative route if we just weren't comfortable. Scott is a very congenial and knowledgeable fellow who is obviously very at home in this environment and truly enjoys his "job" and conversing with his patrons. We will be sure to try one of his other hikes, perhaps to Joshua Tree Park when we are next out there.

2  Thank Full_Nelson_12
pranarun, Owner at Trail Discovery Hiking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2012

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to offer your response to your experience with us here at Trail Discovery. I've heard many others agree that going with a guide can greatly increase a persons overall experience on many outdoor trips.
Attracting fun, open-minded, people with an adventurous spirit like yourself, makes our job really fun! I look forward to having the opportunity to guide your to even more fun!

Reviewed March 9, 2012

We have enjoyed tours in Athens, Istanbul, St. Petersburg, Paris and Cairo, and this ranked right at the top. Not only was Scott tremendously knowledeable across a wide variety of topics, but he was the nicest and most sincere person we have had the pleasure of spending 6 hours. If you truly want a spectacular tour with an outstanding guide - Go with Scott!

pranarun, Owner at Trail Discovery Hiking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2012

Thanks so much for your kind comments, it was a real pleasure taking the 2 of you out with the others to Joshua Tree Nat'l park. It's always a great validation to hear compliments from experienced travelers like you, that what we do here at Trail Discovery is making a lasting, positive impression on others.
Hope to get the opportunity again! Scott 2