“wonderful quiet get away”
Review of The Westcott

The Westcott
Ranked #2 of 20 Palm Springs B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Every summer my daughter and I go to the desert for quiet pool time.We used to go to Las Vegas found it too crazy.The last few years it's been Palm Springs and always looking for the perfect place to go.We both agree POSH was outstanding.Rooms were fun,we had Suite 7 with 2 queen beds,comfortable,quiet and opens up to the spa and pool. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful and afternoon cocktails,the POSH martini was perfect. Felt welcomed,safe and special

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank adele50Oceanside_ca
susanantal, Owner at The Westcott, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review, we hope to see you again next year.
Suzy

Reviewed July 21, 2013

First time at a boutique hotel and loved it! The owners were genuinely interested in ensuring we had a pleasant experience and were very helpful with dinner recommendations and reservations. The 3 course gourmet breakfast was out of this world. Also loved that no kids are allowed and if any slip through (which one did) they were quick to be asked to leave. Although this may sound harsh it is not meant to be as it is a kid free hotel so that should be respected.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nikole A
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about POSH Palm Springs Inn. My boyfriend and I found a GroupOn for this Bed & Breakfast and decided to treat ourselves to a weekend getaway. As soon as we arrived, Mike (owner) greeted us and showed us to our room which was quaint and beautifully decorated. He was extremely friendly and assured us that he and his wife Suzy were just a few feet away (they live on the premises) should we need anything. Bottled water is complimentary, Wi-Fi is available, and our room was comfortably cool and the perfect place to retreat when we decided to take a break from the heat. A delicious breakfast was served every morning as well as cocktails and appetizers in the early evening. The pool and premises is well maintained and clean. We spent the better-half of our day lounging by the pool and enjoying the peace and quiet. Mike and Suzy provided excellent customer service and were very pleasant. I have decided that whenever I choose to travel out to Palm Springs, I will stay at no other place. POSH Palm Springs was amazing and I will certainly recommend it to friends and family! Words cannot do this place justice, you just have to go and experience it for yourself. Such a perfect place that made for a perfect weekend! And it's within close distance to the main strip...you can't get much better :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
susanantal, Owner at The Westcott, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for your gracious review. We are so pleased that you had a great time and look forward to serving you again the next time you travel to Palm Springs.
Thank you also for taking the time to review our property.
Suzy

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was a part of a group of eight couples that rented out Posh Palm Springs Inn to celebrate our 50th birthdays for a weekend in June 2013. I stayed in the room next to the ice maker. (I received the wrong folio at the end of our stay, so I'm not sure about the room number.) Here's an overview of my experience and direct interaction with the proprietors:

Friday night - my room was hotter than the outside 85 degree temp at 11:30 p.m. when we arrived. Although we turned the wall A/C unit UP to 76 degrees, my husband slept facing the unit that blew in his face all night (it's level to the bed) in order to try and stay cool. I understand wall units and didn't want to freeze the freon line by setting a low temp. I thought up my do the trick and cold air would kick in. It didn't.

Saturday morning - introduction to proprietor (Suzi) was a woman's voice telling me "you're in my way" as she maneuvered past me holding a couple of glasses of juice. The 3-course "gourmet" breakfast served included: (1) room temp OJ; (2) chopped fruit in a glass; and (3) scrambled eggs, fried potatoes,and sausage links. Three separate deliveries equals a three-course meal I guess; uncertain how "gourmet" was represented. I sat down to chat with a friend at their table and was chastised by Suzi when she returned and discovered I was now sitting at a different table - with my husband. What began as a fun breakfast with chatter among friends quickly became an uncomfortable setting with whispered comments about this woman's strangely rude behavior.

I approached Suzi Saturday morning to report the problem with our A/C. She proceeded to inform me of the damage that my friends and I done to her property regarding blown electrical outlets, fuses, and frozen freon lines to room A/C units. Her explanation for our lack of cold air was something along the lines of "this is Palm Springs and this is what happens in the desert when it gets hot." Period. I later learned they had called an electrician to resolve some issues at the hotel. (Perhaps this prompted the unpleasantness at breakfast.) It's clear there are on-going renovations at the property. However, if you're running an bed & breakfast in the desert you darn well better provide cold air to paying guests.

One of the couples resorted to sleeping with their door and windows open Friday night to let in cool air due to a faulty A/C unit. All the room TVs had bad reception at check-in. An electrician was present Saturday to address the TV and electrical issues. Suzi's husband told me they had to pay $325 to address the problems we caused. He said the outlet for the TV in our room could not be fixed and we would have to run the cord into the kitchenette to watch TV. (He was actually very considerate and somewhat apologetic in his explanation.) I said I could live without the TV, but we still needed a working A/C unit.

We enjoyed a nice day poolside. The hors d'oeuvres and cocktails never appeared Saturday, but we were attending a party that night so the lack of this amenity passed without much concern. (I don't think they were offered on Friday night either.) We returned to our room to get ready and discovered the A/C unit still blowing hot air. Our showers caused a sauna effect (no bathroom window to ventilate steam) and the make-up I tried in vain to apply just slid off my face. I didn't want to cause another power outage by using my hair dryer, so I put my wet hair in a ponytail and took my make-up with me to put on in our car.

My friend's husband spent Saturday night sleeping by the pool because they're A/C never worked. She said Suzi had offered her a free future stay to compensate for their troubles. I had no interest in returning and approached Suzi and requested to be compensated for a weekend without A/C. She said she would "take care of Friday." (I don't remember her exact words, but I interpreted it as an offer for one complimentary night.) I returned to my room to pack.

I went to the office to settle our bill and Suzi informed me she was giving us a 50% discount for one night. I said no, I had agreed to a 100% comp for Friday. Her response: "You're rude." She proceeded on a very strange rant about how she and her husband had spent the weekend serving us, feeding us, and told me how ungrateful a guest I was being. I responded that I had lived and worked in the desert in the service industry and that I felt this establishment was unprepared to properly accommodate guests. She relented and I paid for one of our two-night stay. She offered me a printout of our statement and was flustered when I accepted as she could not get the printer to work. When I opened the envelope and reviewed the folio at home I discovered it was not for our room. Perfect end to a perfectly bizarre weekend.

If we had not been a part of a group renting out the place I would not have unpacked my bag Friday night. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
15  Thank Traveler S
susanantal, Owner at The Westcott, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

You know, \we always respond to any kind of a review that we feel is not stellar, as we are very conscientious with regards to our guests experience. I would NEVER respond to a guest that "You are in my way". I cannot even respond to all of these innocuous allegations as they are totally unfounded.
I will however comment about the ongoing renovations she speaks of.
We were in the midst of renovating an apartment that my husband and I had built on sight so that we were able to live directly on our property, which has been a long range plan of ours. There was no construction of any kind taking place on that weekend as we purposely made a point of not disrupting our guests during construction.

This also happened to be the week here in Palm Springs that had temps rising above the 120 degree mark. When the guests all turned the AC's below 60 in order to try and cool the rooms to the max, it blew all 5 circuit boards and froze all the AC units throughout the hotel.

I Never told a guest that her friends caused damage to our hotel. That is absurd as there was no damage caused by a frozen AC.
I did however call out our electrician to see if the construction we were doing could have caused a breaker problem, he reiterated my thoughts about why AC's were causing the outage and assured me that lowing the temps down below 60 was the reason they were all freezing up That was the only reason for that call.

It was a very miserably hot weekend and I don't believe we could have done more than we did to accommodate this party further.

I am sorry that she received the wrong folio, due to the circuits going haywire I was unable to access the printer until the end of the morning when they were all checking out at once, splitting the bills, etc.
I must have inadvertently given her the wrong folio for what was the same price for all guests.

Sometimes due to circumstances beyond our control we miss the mark. That is really all I can say other than we will continue to strive in providing the best service and experience for all our guests that we possibly can.
Suzy Antal

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We had reserved a specific room because it ha 2 beds. When we arrived, the room had been given to another group and the response from Susan was, "sorry." When we got back to the room after midnight, we found that the air was not cooling the room. To be fair, we did not call the front at that late hour because we figured there would be nothing they could do at that time. When I checked out and shared the disappointment of a hot sleepless night ( which is particularly rough when I'm 7 months pregnant) I got, " I'm sorry... I'm going to charge your card now" from Susan. I left very disappointed with the customer service and will not be returning.

• Stayed: June 2013
8  Thank amynohop
susanantal, Owner at The Westcott, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

In all fairness I feel the need to respond to this horrible review of our property and our service. This individual requested a one night stay on a weekend which is not normally our policy.
We, as do all the other small hotels in town require a two night stay on all weekends.

She expressed that she really needed to get away so I made an exception and booked her stay for one night on a Saturday. I told her that we only had our suites available at our higher rate but would make an exception and give it to her for the same price as our deluxe rooms.
She did not request any particular suite and it is posted that it is based on avail.

When she arrived, I put her in our King suite with one bed. She did not mention at the time of booking that she would be travelling with a friend. This was the only room I had available at the time.

As far as the air not working properly, I will mention that this was the week where we had temps in the 120's and above. I tell all guests not to drop the AC into the 60's as it will freeze up in this type of weather.
I understand that she was pregnant and I can appreciate that you are additionally warmer during this time. There is nothing wrong with our AC and we have had many guests since then with no complaints.

I do not credit guests when they don't bother to tell me if there is an issue that I might be able to address at the time. This guest was clearly angry that she did not get the room she desired and had already come in with an attitude that I was unable to fix.
We do our very best to address all of our guests needs, and we provide excellent customer service, so I take this quite seriously when someone complains that we didn't provide it. This guest was not here the entire day she booked in so I can't see how I could provide her customer service when they were not even on the premises? We cannot please everyone try as we might. It is a hard lesson to learn when you own your own business and try as hard as we do.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had an amazing time at POSH! Cannot understand how they would receive any negative reviews. Spent 2 nights in room #8 and loved the feel of this small, very unique boutique hotel. The rooms are nicely done and have personal touches (nuts, candies, comfy throws!). Every room is literally steps away from the pool which is great...you don't have to worry about taking everything with you or locking your door. The pool was the perfect temp and the jacuzzi was wonderful at night. Suzy's breakfast was superb and different each day! You can't beat the free happy hour and appetizers each day served poolside. Can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: Room #8 is tucked away at the end, very private feel