“Awful Service and filthy - Avoid”

Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Awful Service and filthy - Avoid”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We just returned from Spring Break with our kids. We opted to stay at the Renaissance Palm Springs because the hotel looked cool and it is walking distance to downtown restaurants and shops. The service was terrible. The first day we had to complain to the manager because the service poolside was so bad. Also, the unisex bathrooms by the pool were filthy and the door locks didn't work. Several guests were walked in upon while using the facilities. In addition, housekeeping didn't clean our room at all one day even after we requested it from the front desk. The hall carpeting had debris on it and needed vacuuming. Food trays would be in the halls from morning to night. They don't have in-room movies on your TV. We have come to expect much better from Renaissance Hotels. The service and cleanliness of this hotel fall miserably short of minimum expectations, especially at this price point.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 1ChiTownTraveler
mg87, General Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. your experience is obviously not the norm for our hotel and I am so sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our team is reviewing action steps internally to address these concerns and ensure that future guests do not share your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Oceanside, California
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is not your typical "Marriott Experience"-most Marriott Hotels are great. This is their "black sheep". We were with several friends for a week-end in Palm Springs-what a disaster!! Wrong type of rooms; several hour delay to occupy our room; restaurant was understaffed and we had to wait over an hour (fortunately the cocktail lounge was working); very sullen attitude from the help-no apologies for all their screw-ups. Substandard décor for a high-end hotel. There is another Rennaissance Hotel about 25 miles away in Indian Wells-we have stayed there before and it is "top quality", right next to a Hyatt which is also excellent. Hopefully Marriott will clean this place up and bring it to their usual standards.

Room Tip: If you really want to choose a good room, go to a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I want to apologize for your experience and for the fact that we missed the opportunity to apologize during your stay. We have come to expect much more from our team and have grown used to much more positive reviews from our guests. We always strive to exceed the expectations of all of our guests and in your case we failed-please forgive us. I would love to research what went wrong during your stay. Since this information is not included in your review, I am unable to pinpoint where to start, I f you have the time to share this information, you can reach me at martingreenwood@remingtonhotels.com.
FL
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I don't usually have much to say about convention/resort hotels as I expect a certain higher standard (compared to regular chains) for the price and can't really whine about a $4 bottle of water or that "trapped" feeling and at the mercy of the hotel! This place is HUGE and I got my exercise just walking back to the room in search of coffee or some kind of food! Our group This time was able to contract for a more realistic parking fee. $21 to $5 is much better. This was our 2nd convention visit and pleased with the changes and improvements. The new fire pits were inviting and added to customer comfort. The grounds and pool are beautiful....Staff was more friendly, hotel cleaner and thankfully our room was ready and on time. They listened! I would have given a 5 star review, but CHARGING for the internet (most convention/resort changing their ways) PER DEVICE DAILY is pretty petty. Oh, I decided not to go swimming....

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool was good, unless a party or band is around on the weekend.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the review-I am thrilled to see you noticed our progress! Hope to see you back soon.
Nashville
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stayed here for one night and had a nice experience. I was upgraded to a "Presidential Suite". It was really nice but the bed was very uncomfortable. The AC unit is right across from the bed and it blew in my face all night long. The toiletries were minimal and very tiny so don't rely on there being enough to use unless you ask for more. Food was good and service was top notch. Oh, also a steel drum played for an event outside my balcony until 1030pm. Felt like I was in the Bahamas.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for visiting and writing this review. I am glad you enjoyed the visit and hope you return soon!
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at The Renassance Hotel in Palm Springs, California, from Friday March 20th until Thursday March 27th and I must say that the staff at this Hotel are incredible.
On Wednesday March 26th a very nasty sand storm blew through the area which caused both the nearby interstate and the airport to close down.
About 150 displaced people crammed into the hotel lobby for shelter and the staff at the hotel immediately got to work putting out a buffet of finger food for everyone as well as buckets of pop in ice for the kids.
I sat there in awe that they did such a great job at helping stranded people who weren't actually paying guests of the hotel and for that I give them a big hats off salute.
I would "as a paying customer" easily recommend this hotel for its cleanliness and superior customer service but seeing what I saw just cinched it for me.

Room Tip: I would suggest that you ask for a room with a balcony but that's a personal choice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and "guide" future travelers our way.
Appleby Magna, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Just an overnight stay here for my partner and I. Decent sized standard deluxe room, well equipped but with noisy air conditioning. We had to turn it off. Parking was reasonably priced. The bar extended outside with flame warmed alcoves but the service was slow. Otherwise just like all the other chain hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review. If I could trouble you for the room number you occupied, I can have our engineering team solve the noise issue. You can contact me at martingreenwood@remingtonhotels.com
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

The room is larger than most, nicely appointed and very clean. Get one overlooking the pool would be my suggestion. I loved there outdoor 20 foot fire pit. It was a great place to relax, have a glass of wine and plan your next adventure. Service was really good in all aspects and I will come back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thanks and I am thrilled you had a great stay-please come back soon!